• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Rust and paint

Zoepr143

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Zoë
2CD599F6-A8CC-4414-9EAC-58DEE5782D7C.jpeg 70143822-EAED-438E-9DEC-A1CB12C983FF.jpeg BC4D4E9C-5310-4085-BD16-648B072F8673.jpeg Kiwi really likes to bite the black paint off of her cage, the result being that if water falls on the metal it will rust. So now i have a lot of rust where her water dispenser is. I regularly clean the dispenser with a toothbrush (not used ofc) and i get most of it off but it just keeps getting worse! Is there a way to clean or cover it? I thought about getting a new cage but i think she will just continue biting the paint off. I really don’t want her to get sick! I know rustfree cages are a thing but these are mostly really big cages that are way too big for just one budgie. Anyone any ideas?

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë

I found vinegar will clean that rust off. The link above shows how you can soak in vinegar and takes the rust off. To stop the rusting, you will need to re-paint. You will need to use a primer on the metal (spray kind) and get a safe paint people use for baby furniture, like cribs and playpens.

Amazon.com: Krylon Permanent Non-Toxic Acrylic Varnish Spray - 11 Oz. Can44; Crystal Clear: Toys & Games

I'm sure others have better ideas. I have a DYI husband so he's handy.

Unfortunately the amazon product can’t be shipped to the netherlands but i might be able do find the same kind of spray at a diy store, thank you for the tips!

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
I'm sure the Netherlands has baby safe paint. If you go to your local hardware store, ask for paint for baby furniture. They will assure the paint has non-toxic products. Don't forget to prime the metal after you clean all the rust off. Hope it helps!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You should be more concerned about the fact that your bird is chewing the paint off the cage. This means you’re bird is a cage chewer and need special considerations when getting a cage. In your case it should be stainless steel or aluminum.

If she ingests any of that paint she will die. If she chews on the bare metal underneath the paint she will still die, just slow and drawn out. Constantly chewing on the paint will do the same thing.

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
You should be more concerned about the fact that your bird is chewing the paint off the cage. This means you’re bird is a cage chewer and need special considerations when getting a cage. In your case it should be stainless steel or aluminum.

If she ingests any of that paint she will die. If she chews on the bare metal underneath the paint she will still die, just slow and drawn out. Constantly chewing on the paint will do the same thing.

If it really is that bad, should i take her to the vet and get medication? Is there a way i can train her to stop doing it?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

If it really is that bad, should i take her to the vet and get medication? Is there a way i can train her to stop doing it?
You'll never stop her from chewing, can you get the cage stripped and powder coated, or just get a new stainless cage like John suggested? Either will be expensive, but, in the long run,,worth it.

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
You'll never stop her from chewing, can you get the cage stripped and powder coated, or just get a new stainless cage like John suggested? Either will be expensive, but, in the long run,,worth it.

I mean i think i can get it done somewhere. I just have to ask around a bit. Or ill just get a big stainless cage and never deal with this problem again.
Im on it!:cantsee:

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
I would also like to add that there are cages that will rust without chewing. It's wear and tear. If you have a cage that isn't stainless steel, be prepared for the long term cracking of the material over the metal whether it is paint or plastic coating. Water, sun, heat, all of it will wear down cages. Even some sub grade stainless steel rusts sometimes depending on the alloys used.

Titanium is the only metal on this planet that guarantees being rust proof.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
Well gold doesn't rust but that might be a little costly.
:lol:

Gold often has nickel and zinc and not okay for birds, unless pure? I've read that some are allergic to gold too! :faint: 0% from Iron but that rusts. I believe titanium is used for body implants due to safety but I believe it is more costly than gold. :omg:

Interesting link on common metals in the home and allergies/contaminants due to them.

Metals Safety Information - Ganoksin Jewelry Making Community

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
I always opt for just getting rid of the cage and providing and "environment". Which includes the cage as a home base. I take the doors "off".

I would also choose that over anything, but my house is not bird proof at all. The room that she is in IS but most of our ground floor doesn’t have doors, we have arches. And we have really big closets that she can maybe fly to and get stuck behind them. Maybe im just being paranoid but that would be an absolute nightmare! :scared2::eeeek:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin

Unfortunately the amazon product can’t be shipped to the netherlands but i might be able do find the same kind of spray at a diy store, thank you for the tips!
O what a shame, but are you sure? I once ordered a lot of Books from amazon(I live in the Netherlands as well!:D) and thats as possible, Maybe it is different for other items though:blink:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I would also choose that over anything, but my house is not bird proof at all. The room that she is in IS but most of our ground floor doesn’t have doors, we have arches. And we have really big closets that she can maybe fly to and get stuck behind them. Maybe im just being paranoid but that would be an absolute nightmare! :scared2::eeeek:
The stuck behind closets is not being paraoid at all! My cockatiel fell behind a closet twice, there was like 12 cm between the closet and the wall so he could just walk away but if that space was smaller he would probably have been in trouble!

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
O what a shame, but are you sure? I once ordered a lot of Books from amazon(I live in the Netherlands as well!:D) and thats as possible, Maybe it is different for other items though:blink:

Yeah i think it’s just that item. It said ‘product cannot be shipped to the netherlands’ or something along those lines.

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
The stuck behind closets is not being paraoid at all! My cockatiel fell behind a closet twice, there was like 12 cm between the closet and the wall so he could just walk away but if that space was smaller he would probably have been in trouble!
image.jpg
I took a quick pic of what the closets look like, as you can see they are impossible to simply move if something falls behind it. The space behind it is about 4cm image.jpg

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Yeah i think it’s just that item. It said ‘product cannot be shipped to the netherlands’ or something along those lines.
Ah a shame!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
View attachment 258323
I took a quick pic of what the closets look like, as you can see they are impossible to simply move if something falls behind it. The space behind it is about 4cm View attachment 258324
Yeah if she fell behind it that would not be fun! However, if she doesn't show any particualar interest in the closer I don't think the risk is very big. My cockatiel loved to sing in the space between the wall and closet and loved to look between it, I don't know why:rofl:

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
Yeah if she fell behind it that would not be fun! However, if she doesn't show any particualar interest in the closer I don't think the risk is very big. My cockatiel loved to sing in the space between the wall and closet and loved to look between it, I don't know why:rofl:

Hahaha i can imagine hearing her/him sing but not knowing from where and then just seeing her/his little head peeking out from the side:hehe: