• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Russ who??

RWS

Checking out the neighborhood
I was stumbling around the intertubes this evening and decided to stop by here for a visit.

I have a few things to say.

First - my book turned 15 years old this year. Hard to believe.

Next, I am inching ever closer to a decades-long dream - that of living in Ecuador where I can be with wild parrots day after day. More on that later.

Finally, it's been a thrill to learn that some of our High Spirits Aviary birds are still out there thriving. Although I am no longer involved with breeding, it's rewarding to see how our efforts turned out.

Russ Shade
The Practical Pionus

Last edited by a moderator:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Yeah!!!! Have the book a so called bible of Pi...I don'y have a Pi but a Bronze wng was my dream bird before Penny my hawkhead flew into my
heart!!!

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I was going to come back with Shade of course! :D

:congrats5: on The Practical Pionus turning 15 years old this year! Still by far the best book on Pionus I have read.

Hope you make it to Ecuador!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I'm so glad life is going well for you and I now have two copies of your book. A really nice used one from Amazon and a new copy with the disk the last time you posted you had some here. I got my first two in 78 when we found two brothers for sale in a local shop. I'd never seen them before and they were so quiet and gentle they won me over. Shop gave me a great deal as they didn't want to separate them. Ferd and Nerd bird. Ferd got very suddenly sick a few years in and left us that night. Nerd was stuck with me and we mourned and bonded together. We grew up together and he was happily with me for 31 years. Pretty sure they were wild caught as no Maxi's I've had since make quite the same noises. I sure miss him and have Dobby now, the most socialized, gentle, outgoing Maxi I've ever known.
I couldn't find anything about them for years and finally your book came out and I finally got a copy, excellent book, and a great read. I hope you make it to Ecuador and keep studying and helping our favorite parrots and all the others you get to interact with and see.