• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ruppell's Parrot

Fatgirl

Sprinting down the street
Hey everyone, a friend of mine recently got a Ruppell's parrot. I've been researching into care and diet for them, but there isn't much info online. Does anyone have any tips for their diet, living environment etc?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lucky friend. Ruppell's are not easy to find.
Take care of them similar to other Poicephalus such as Senegals and red-bellied parrots. A good hookbill seed mix (no sunflower is my preference) and pellets as well as a variety of fruits and veggies. Senegal / Poicephalus Parrots: Dietary Requirements & Feeding
My Pois get Volkman Avian Science Super Hookbill, Caitec Oven Fresh Bites pellets (medium size) as well as veggies. They are not into fruit except some will eat dried papaya and banana chips. Good treats include avicakes, Lafeber popcorn and Avian Organics Baked Treats. Your friend may also want to try some Birdie breads and mashes.
Pois generally like to swing so recommend getting a swing. Also get some wood toys and foraging toys.
Gail Worth from Aves International breeds them. Not a lot of info on her website, though. Ruppell's Parrot
BTW, is this the Ruppell's whose photo you posted the other day? How old is he?

Fatgirl

Sprinting down the street
Take care of them similar to other Poicephalus such as Senegals and red-bellied parrots. A good hookbill seed mix (no sunflower is my preference) and pellets as well as a variety of fruits and veggies. Senegal / Poicephalus Parrots: Dietary Requirements & Feeding
My Pois get Volkman Avian Science Super Hookbill, Caitec Oven Fresh Bites pellets (medium size) as well as veggies. They are not into fruit except some will eat dried papaya and banana chips. Good treats include avicakes, Lafeber popcorn and Avian Organics Baked Treats. Your friend may also want to try some Birdie breads and mashes.
Pois generally like to swing so recommend getting a swing. Also get some wood toys and foraging toys.
Gail Worth from Aves International breeds them. Not a lot of info on her website, though. Ruppell's Parrot

Thanks for the reply :) yes it is the same Ruppell, I'll try get some photos to post. We aren't sure of the age. Ill be sure to get it a swing gift :) :)

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Beautiful plumage. I wish your firend and his new friend the best of luck.

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
What a cutie. So jealous lol

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
What a cutie. Tell your friend that he needs toys. My Senegal prefers toys with tho. Pine slices.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

I think Gail gets babies from Steve Garvin of the Feathertree. He raises them.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for posting the info. I had looked at his site previously. Didn't know he was selling to Gail. I thought she had her own breeding pairs. His prices aren't bad at all and I would love one but my flock is very full and it wouldn't be fair to anyone. Maybe someday.