1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ruppell's Parrot

Discussion in 'Poicephalus Place' started by Fatgirl, 3/28/17.

1. Fatgirl

Fatgirl Sprinting down the street

Hey everyone, a friend of mine recently got a Ruppell's parrot. I've been researching into care and diet for them, but there isn't much info online. Does anyone have any tips for their diet, living environment etc?

2. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Lucky friend. Ruppell's are not easy to find.
    Take care of them similar to other Poicephalus such as Senegals and red-bellied parrots. A good hookbill seed mix (no sunflower is my preference) and pellets as well as a variety of fruits and veggies. Senegal / Poicephalus Parrots: Dietary Requirements & Feeding
    My Pois get Volkman Avian Science Super Hookbill, Caitec Oven Fresh Bites pellets (medium size) as well as veggies. They are not into fruit except some will eat dried papaya and banana chips. Good treats include avicakes, Lafeber popcorn and Avian Organics Baked Treats. Your friend may also want to try some Birdie breads and mashes.
    Pois generally like to swing so recommend getting a swing. Also get some wood toys and foraging toys.
    Gail Worth from Aves International breeds them. Not a lot of info on her website, though. Ruppell's Parrot
    BTW, is this the Ruppell's whose photo you posted the other day? How old is he?

Fatgirl likes this.
  3. Fatgirl

Thanks for the reply :) yes it is the same Ruppell, I'll try get some photos to post. We aren't sure of the age. Ill be sure to get it a swing gift :) :)

4. Fatgirl

5. Shade

Shade Crazy for Pois! Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Natacha
    Nice looking bird :)

Fatgirl likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)