• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ruppelles parrot

deshud

Walking the driveway
There's a ruppelle parrot in the pet store. I haven't seen one before . Does anyone have one? How common are they?

Debbie

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Not common.
I know of one breeder in Canada, but seeing how you saw one in Edmonton, there might be two, as I don't think the one breeder sells to pet store.

Do you know how hold it is?

Cyreen

Rollerblading along the road
You saw a Ruppell's in Edmonton? I'll bite - where and how much?

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha

Cyreen

I'm always blown away by how much the pet stores can charge here, particularly when I know some of the breeders they buying from and how much they charge. I'm not aware of anyone breeding Ruppell's here, but then I haven't really been paying attention lately.

deshud

Walking the driveway
The ruppell is in red deer, at pet land. I was in a hurry, and just glanced at him/her. Didn't have time to ask questions. Selling for 1200.00. I think I might stop back tomorrow before going back to edmonton. Sometimes they will give a discount if the parrots been there for awhile, but being rare, I doubt it.

Debbie

birdle

I would think that ruppells parrots, since they are poicephalus, would probably emit the same high pitched squeak that your old brown headed did that made you rehome her. that said, I think @GlassOnion has one.

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Ruppell's parrots do indeed make that exact same high pitched squeal that Brown Heads do.

And yep, turns out the breeder sold her Ruppell's babies to Petland Edmonton, so those are Ruby's siblings.

deshud

Walking the driveway
Why would a breeder of a very rare species sell to a pet store? You would think she would have a waiting list for her babies.
After much thought, I really can't buy another poicephaulus while I have my dogs. I can't take that chance. I love rare, uncommon birds, but it's not fair to the baby to be rehomed. He will find a good home because he is a baby. My dream bird is a painted conure, still waiting on eggs ( waiting for a couple of years, so I will continue to wait)

I haven't told anyone yet, because I know I am not that popular with some members. I think it's just my tone of my threads sometimes. But I really do try to do the best for my babies. I got a blue headed pi baby last night, delivered from toronto. He's beautiful, still no name. Pi's chirping doesn't bother my dogs, so it's all good. I promise I won't rehome him :hehe:. So, I have Rambo, Ivan, and new baby. Once I find out how to send pictures I will. I will also be asking for advice. This is my first medium sized baby ( I had Pebbles, my baby linnie- my first parrot) that accidentally died, and Rambo, my parrotlet. Once he settles, I am going to start training. He's still scared of me.

GlassOnion

She likely sold them to Petland because she could charge a high price even as unweaned babies. Do you mind taking some pics of the Ruppell's baby, please? :) Is he interactive or tame? You can put up photos on imgur: the simple image sharer and paste the link here.

Is the BH from Soltia Aviary or Isis Sky Aviary?

deshud

Walking the driveway
He/she's in red deer, I'm in edmonton right now ( about 90 minutes away) my parents live in red deer. When I go back to I will take pictures. When I saw the bird, he/she was sleeping and covered, and no one around to ask. So, I don't know anything about the bird. Plus, the more information I got, the more I would want him. So I stayed away ;)

The BH is from Soltia Aviary

deshud

Walking the driveway
I know some people are interested in this ruppell. I would love to take home this ruppell, but I won't chance having to rehome him. If I can find a home for him with another AA member, that would be great. He really needs a good home. I plan on going back to red deer at the end of the month, I can go earlier if needed. I will call tomorrow to see if he's still there, sometimes they move them to other pet lands. I will ask all the other questions as well. If someone in canada is interested in him, ( or her, I didn't have a good look to be able to sex the bird) I can go and check him out and take pictures. Then if someone really wants to buy him and lives out of province, I can ship. I will also call other pet lands and maybe he has sisters/brothers in other stores. He is expensive, 1299.00, but sometimes they will give discounts. I once got a free finch from them. Another time they gave me a 200.00 discount on a kakariki.

Debbie

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I would jump at a chance to have a Ruppel's! I'd love to see pics!:)

Cyreen

I wouldn't mind a poicephalus someday, but I have a good flock mix at the moment.

Cheeky409

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jill
don't take this the wrong way but......I think this is the first time in my life I wish I lived in Canada:) I've been trying to find a Ruppell's breeder here in Florida but no luck. I recently lost my BELOVED Sennie and I'm going through Poicephalus withdrawal. A Ruppell's is my dream bird and I'd like to at least lay eyes on one in person.

GlassOnion

They look just like Meyers but with less blue. :) I think there might me a breeder I'm FL?

Cheeky409

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jill
They look just like Meyers but with less blue. :) I think there might me a breeder I'm FL?
I FOUND ONE!!! There is a Ruppells breeder in Florida: Beverly O'connor in Wesley Chapel. I got her name from another Pois breeder at the bird show today and spoke with her late this afternoon. Hopefully I'll have a new baby in a few weeks.