• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ruffled vs. Fluffed

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
What is the difference between ruffled feathers and fluffed feathers? Sunflower often fluffs her feathers while she is perching. This is usually accompanied by beak clicking and standing on one foot. I'm wondering what the difference is between happy fluffing and sick ruffling?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Sounds like happy ruffling! The beak grinding/clicking means she is comfortable, as does standing on one foot. If she were to be quiet and standing on two feet it would be cause for concern. A sick bird would possibly be overall less active, spend more time ruffles up instead of playing etc.:)

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
I was just wondering what sick fluff looks like. I'm so used to seeing her fluffy, I'm worried I'll miss it when it means she is sick.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Java frequently "goes fluffy" and I make a big deal about it because he looks so cute, this is also followed by beak grinding and a little chirp of happiness. I think he learned how to illicit that "oh, you're so fluffy!" response from me because I can almost cue it and then I start telling him how handsome he is. I haven't seen him puffed uncomfortably but I believe I could tell if something were wrong based on what I know about his behavior now :)
If your birdie isn't acting like its usual self, then maybe something is wrong

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's usually for an extended time and will be accompanied by other symptoms.

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
20171209_134233-1.jpg

Its probably hard to see in this pic but this is what Papaya looked like when he was sick. His feathers were poofy and his wings drooped. Also he hunched over a lot and was very quiet.

This is his happy poof. Alert with wings close to his body and of course a lot of beak grinding. 20170607_200054-1.jpg

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
Thanks for the pictures! The posture tip was helpful as well.