• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rudy has arthritis and it’s getting worse

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Poor guy. My amazons were in small cages with no toys.

If you're talking about Dr. Kersting, his site is:
BirdMedicineAndSurgery.com

@saroj would tart cherry juice help arthritis in birds?

I haven’t checked but my vet is not a fan of juices. Too much sugar she says. I have a Lakewood organic tart cherry juice unopened.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Glad you have a good Vet to go to. Is your Vet thinking age related? Any possibility of early onset or anything lacking in diet? No injury? Any suggested supplements holistically that can help with inflammation?

Sorry to hear that but hopefully it can subside. :sadhug2:

His diet is not that great. He cracks the caitec ofb to get some select morsel inside. He eats a lot of hand fed sweet potato, crunches raw pasta organic at midnight in his sleep. Likes raspberries and quarter grape. Apple. No greens except the odd pea every now and then.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that Rudy is hurting but good the metacam is helping and hoping that he will be 100% soon.
I was also going to recommend tart cherry juice. I wonder if aloe vera sprayed on his legs/feet might help.
I spray Avi-vera on Spee's legs every now and then and he also gets a little bit of tart cherry juice on his vegetables.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fred is turning nine this spring. He spent his first eight years penned up in a hamster cage with perches big enough for a cockatiel.
I hope Fred will be OK. His original living conditions were horrible and that is so sad. It's good that he is now in a loving and caring home. It's good that you are planning to take him to the vet to figure out why he is whimpering.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I :heart: Rudy.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I haven’t checked but my vet is not a fan of juices. Too much sugar she says. I have a Lakewood organic tart cherry juice unopened.
As an alternative it might be worth asking your vet about bromalain. It's supposed to help with pain and inflammation.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m glad he’s feeling better, poor Rudy.:heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Poor Rudy. I hope he continues to feel better.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is Rudy doing today?

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I hope Fred will be OK. His original living conditions were horrible and that is so sad. It's good that he is now in a loving and caring home. It's good that you are planning to take him to the vet to figure out why he is whimpering.
Thank you, I am hoping that too. He didn't whimper when I first got him and I am hoping I didn't cause it. I am never rough with him but being a first time cockatoo owner I could have made mistakes.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
How old is Rudy? I did not know birds get arthritis. Do you think eat and exercise will help like it does in humans. Also, I use many topical pain medicines for my arthritis. I wonder if there are any for birds? That way they don't have to swallow something.
I didn't either, in fact, I thought only mammals got arthritis. I was told one reason it can happen in birds is when their perches are too small, and they have to really wrap their feet around them.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Arthritis is actually very common in birds. I worry about my older guys. I’m so sorry to hear that Rudy is having issues but am glad to hear that he is getting relief from the meds. He’s such a special little guy!:)

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Have you tried getting a sac magique? I'm not sure what they're called in English (maybe a Magic Bag? That's the direct translation, at least). My mom uses them for her arthritis. They're these little fabric bags filled with some sort of beads or beans that heat up. I have one that comes with this hollow plush cat you insert it into so it doesn't get too hot.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Nerd bird had a very pitiful whine/cry the last time he got sick. When he would feel a tiny bit better he'd stop and start playing and eating again and make his normal noises. Poor guy was very old at that time and we missed how sick he was till way late and did the best we could, so did his vet:(
Sounds like Rudy is doing better and you managed to figure it out early so he should have some good time ahead of him still:hug8: