• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rudy has arthritis and it’s getting worse

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
the vet put him on metacam for five days. He was gripping my finger so hard with clenched feet before I dosed him and cried in my lap all evening. So after the metacam his grip got noticeably less tense. I’m only giving him .05 ml and he ingests it all. He’s been crying since the weekend and I couldn’t figure out what he wanted or what was bothering him. Appetite and weight are normal. Tonight he’s playing bowl.

Hotpockets

Strolling the yard
I'm glad your little one got some relief. Good job on you for recognizing what it was! What does crying sound like in a bird? Is it individual to the bird or do all species make their own kind of crying sounds?

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
:bighug:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I'm glad your little one got some relief. Good job on you for recognizing what it was! What does crying sound like in a bird? Is it individual to the bird or do all species make their own kind of crying sounds?
Kind of whimpering, making little vocalizations of discomfort. Not one cry tonight so far!

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
*Hugs* from Ella and I. :heart: Poor babe very happy metacam gave him the relief he needed.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How old is Rudy? I did not know birds get arthritis. Do you think eat and exercise will help like it does in humans. Also, I use many topical pain medicines for my arthritis. I wonder if there are any for birds? That way they don't have to swallow something.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Oh no poor Rudy baby :heart: feel better sweet bird!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Poor Rudy! Glad he's doing better. Do you think the pain meds will be needed intermittently indefinitely?
How old is he? I thought still fairly young.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
She said five days straight then every other day. Her amazon is on it for another disease, twice a day.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Poor Rudy! Glad he's doing better. Do you think the pain meds will be needed intermittently indefinitely?
How old is he? I thought still fairly young.

Rudy is 15.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I am glad Rudy is feeling better, but your post gave me pause. Fred, my cockatoo has started to whimper lately. I had no idea that it could be him in pain and just chalked it up to another cockatoo vocalization.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I am glad Rudy is feeling better, but your post gave me pause. Fred, my cockatoo has started to whimper lately. I had no idea that it could be him in pain and just chalked it up to another cockatoo vocalization.
Maybe get the vet to check him out and do bloodwork in case it’s something else, and prescribe medication? How old is Fred? Rudy whimpering definitely indicated he was in pain.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Maybe get the vet to check him out and do bloodwork in case it’s something else, and prescribe medication? How old is Fred? Rudy whimpering definitely indicated he was in pain.
Fred is turning nine this spring. He spent his first eight years penned up in a hamster cage with perches big enough for a cockatiel.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Fred is turning nine this spring. He spent his first eight years penned up in a hamster cage with perches big enough for a cockatiel.
Poor Fred! That would have been rough on his legs. Glad you have him now and he’s living a good life like he deserves!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Glad you have a good Vet to go to. Is your Vet thinking age related? Any possibility of early onset or anything lacking in diet? No injury? Any suggested supplements holistically that can help with inflammation?

Sorry to hear that but hopefully it can subside. :sadhug2:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Poor guy. My amazons were in small cages with no toys.

If you're talking about Dr. Kersting, his site is:
BirdMedicineAndSurgery.com

@saroj would tart cherry juice help arthritis in birds?