• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rowdy -1

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The last 2 days, the macaw crew has been pretty rowdy, even for them. Annie was very beaky and literally raked me several times with the chisel-like point of her beak. She also squeezed my favorite right thumb knuckle hard. Daphne has had no interest in any attention but ambient, too.

Petey was fine when he was on me, but he and Daffer turned into grumpy kaiju once they were on the same stand. Daff flew to the one he was on. When I went to speak to Daff and ask her to step up, she gave me a solid pinch, and I was suddenly face-to-face with 2 lunging, beak gaping macaws. I don't feel they're bonded, as they just seem to be buddies right now. I'll reflect on what I observed tonight and decide the best methods to use with them moving forward.

Harry, my minus one, was great! He flew to Mom, did some of his behaviors for her and was basically charming all night. Life with macaws.

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Walter has been very moody lately, or should I say moodier than usual. Spring?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Joey has been lunging at me lately.
Doing this weird cake dance :birdance: with lots of eye pinning action.
:faint:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@aooratrix I'm glad Harry was being sweet. Still making up for this weekend?

And I got excited by your mention of the possibility Daphne and Petey bonding, but would that be okay? For some reason it never occurred to me that might happen.

@Macawnutz Do you have any pairs in your flocks or are they all just buddies? How would it change the flock's dynamic?

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Yeah - I noticed Jeannie wasn't in a good mood this morning. Whew - I'm glad to hear it is other places too.
She actually growled at me. I mean a tiger growl. It wasn't a 'let's play' it was a 'get out of my space' growl.

Last edited:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@aooratrix I'm glad Harry was being sweet. Still making up for this weekend?

And I got excited by your mention of the possibility Daphne and Petey bonding, but would that be okay? For some reason it never occurred to me that might happen.

I'm perfectly okay with buddies. A true pair? Not so much. I will NOT be raising any caprigolds! ;)

@Macawnutz Do you have any pairs in your flocks or are they all just buddies? How would it change the flock's dynamic?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm perfectly okay with buddies. A true pair? Not so much. I will NOT be raising any caprigolds! ;)
Oh my goodness is that a real thing? Is there an actual name for those? :embarassed: How big would the dummy eggs be? Maybe you can borrow Sakie's Jolly Ball! :pinkgrin:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Oh my goodness is that a real thing? Is there an actual name for those? :embarassed: How big would the dummy eggs be? Maybe you can borrow Sakie's Jolly Ball! :pinkgrin:

No, that's not a real hybrid. Hybrid breeders typically prize yellow dominant, which that pairing would not produce. Bottom line, I have no interest in raising baby macaws, unless a Hy shows up ;)