• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Roudybush sour smell after a day - normal?

Serin

Sprinting down the street
Something I have always noticed, I feed my birds Roudybush nibles. They smell sweet and just like grain in the bag and in the storage tote. But after a day in the dish, they gave an unpleasant sour odor. The birds don't seem to notice. The pellets smell sour even after a few days in a closed seed hopper where they are totally dry and out if reach of birds to soil them in any way. Again the odor is only present after a day or two in the cages and not in storage. Is this normal? Its not new... I've been feeding this food for 5 years. But I had thought maybe the smell came from the food getting damp or something... So I'd only put down one days worth and discard the old. Noticing that pellets up in the hopper not even accessible to the birds yet also started smelling sour surprised me. Again, the hopper is sealed and dry. But it does sit in the sun... Whereas the bag is in a shaded spot.

Anyone else notice this brand getting a weird smell after a while in the cage?

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I feed Roudybush crumbles and do change it out each morning. I haven't noticed any change in the smell overnight. I keep it in the original bag, making sure to take out the air, close it with the zips and then use a clip. It's in a dark kitchen cabinet not close to the oven. With a single bird I need to keep it fresh for some time.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I leave roudybush pellets for my birds for 2-3 days depending on if they lose feathers or dust in the bowl. I havent noticed any chances in smell. I use crumbles for my budgies and mini for my tiel. I keep them in the fridge and make sure to let out the air as well, since I need them to last a long time.

Dgh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dana
If they get wet at all they will stink too. I put them on different side from water. I freeze mine, roundybush, as I buy and freeze what can be done in bulk.
Never had that smell.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Something I have always noticed, I feed my birds Roudybush nibles. They smell sweet and just like grain in the bag and in the storage tote. But after a day in the dish, they gave an unpleasant sour odor. The birds don't seem to notice. The pellets smell sour even after a few days in a closed seed hopper where they are totally dry and out if reach of birds to soil them in any way. Again the odor is only present after a day or two in the cages and not in storage. Is this normal? Its not new... I've been feeding this food for 5 years. But I had thought maybe the smell came from the food getting damp or something... So I'd only put down one days worth and discard the old. Noticing that pellets up in the hopper not even accessible to the birds yet also started smelling sour surprised me. Again, the hopper is sealed and dry. But it does sit in the sun... Whereas the bag is in a shaded spot.

Anyone else notice this brand getting a weird smell after a while in the cage?
I feed Roudybush Crumbles to my Kai and if not soiled leave in feed bowl for two days. I keep the crumbles in the original bag letting the air out and resealing after use. The bag is kept in a bottom kitchen cabinet. I haven’t noticed any order.

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
I feed the RB crumbles to my lovebirds and budgies and I leave the uneaten pellets in for 2 days max due to the high humidity in the tropics. It could be a batch thing, or perhaps a matter of humidity diffusing quickly into the dry pellets that are not in an air-tight container? Have you tried freezing the food for 1-2 weeks and thawing it out to kill any mould spores that might lingering in inactive state in the bag?

There was a change in formula within the past 5 years I think. I've only had my birds for over a year, but I read about it. Roudybush is now Green? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum