• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Roudybush crumble crumbled

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
When I opened my bag of roudybush crumble size I realized over half of the volume seems like useless dust... The only reason I bought crumble size was so that my two budgies had a more comfortable size thathan the mini size that my lovebirds get.

Is this a common occurence for the crumble size or was mine just an abnormally unlucky bag?

As non-dyed pellet brands are harder to find in Singapore, I was wondering if anyone knew which Harrison size would be most similar to roudybush crumble or zupreem fruitblend small birds, which they currently eat.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I use pellet dust in the soft foods I feed in the AM.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I feed my new girl Roudybush Crumble and am on my second bag. No dust at all. Ordered one from Chewy, got the other from breeder.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
No dust I have used it for years. There’s a problem with your order. I put dust into soft foods, stir it in with veggies and so on but you’d be well within your rights to ask for a refund.

Gazimon

Thanks for the replies. Would anyone be willing to take a photo of the contents of their bag of crumble?

Gazimon

This is what a spoon off the top of my bag of crumble looks like...

Now Im trying to figure out how to use the bag since I cant use it to mix in things like goldenfeast Australian blend.... the stuff will just get lost in all those dust

Attachments

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh I'm sorry I meant to send a picture and forgot! This is from a bag of maintenance crumble.

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please compare the ingredients of the following foods:

Roudybush Crumbles

Ingredients: Ground Corn, Ground Wheat, Soy Oil,Soy Meal, Alfafa, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, L-Argomome. Niacin, Silicon Dioxide (anti-cakking aid), Citric Acid (Preservative), Mixed Tocopherolsm(Preserative), Vegetable Oil, Rosemary Extract, Alpha-Tocopherol Acetate (Source of Vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Yucca schidigera Extract, Dried Yeast, Calcium Pantothenate, Zinc Oxide, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vit. A Acetate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Potassium Iodide, Vit D3 Sup. Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Propionic Acid (preservative), Ammonium Hydroxide, Dihydriodide, Propionic Acid, Ammonium Hydroxide, Acetic Acid, Sorbic Acid, Tartaric Acid, and natural apple

Goldenfease GoldnObles small beak

This delicious gourmet formula is made by processing the following select ingredients: Quinoa, organic roasted Soy Beans, par boiled brown Rice and organic long grain brown Rice, raw Almonds, dehydrated and freeze dried vegetables composed of Carrots, sweet garden Peas, Parsley, Green Beans, Spinach, Red Garden Beets and Cabbage. Cranberries, shelled Walnuts, natural organic Agavi sweetener, organic Barley, organic Alfafa, freeze dried Banana powder, organic hulled proso Millet and white proso Millet, organic Flax seed, organic Spelt, organic Rye, Sesame seed, domestic grown Apples, dehydrated Honey, organic Chia seed, organic Kamut, organic Tricale, organic Amaranth, stabilized hulled Oats, Sunflower Kernels, organic Spinach, Fenugreek, freeze dried Raspberries, Hemp seed, organic Timothy, Ginger, Star Anise seed, Cinnamon, Fennel seed, dehydrated whole Eggs, Bee Pollen, Wheatberries, organic Echinacea powder, Cilantro, organic Red Clover Leaf powder and organic Spinach, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus fermentum fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product and dried Bifidobacterium.

Guaranteed Analysis: crude protein (min.) 17.5%; crude fat (min.) 9%; crude fiber (max.) 6%; moisture (max.) 3.5%; ash (max.) 3%

Last edited:

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
I think the new Roudybush formula is more fragile and prone to crumbling than the old one. I feed my budgies the smaller "Nibles" size and find it less crumbly... maybe give that a try?

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Thanks Dona!

LadyJane, I'm confused as to why I'm asked to compare them?

Because people like to look at ingredients lists and say, "quinoa must be better than ground corn" - when the fact of the matter is that there's far, far more at play when it comes to nutrition. Bioavailability (the amount of a product that is actually utilized by the body), nutrient absorption and density, and palatability are only a few of the factors that go into choosing ingredients for bird food. Just because quinoa sounds better doesn't make it nutritionally better. At the end of the day, appealing to the ingredients-list-shoppers only seeks to appeal to your emotions while making a grab for your wallet. Not to mention that Goldn'obles isn't a nutritionally complete diet - Roudybush is.

There's no reason to change your food, and no reason someone should suggest you do so.

As for the crumbles - sometimes bags get handled roughly through the distribution chain. Some bags of food I get have more dust at the bottom than others - it's just the luck of the draw. I typically save pellet powders to dust on chop, fruit, and other treats.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
On sorry about confusion. No need to compare. Just wanted you to see the fillers in Roudybush vs the nutrients in Goldenfeast bird foods. I like the Goldenfeast bird foods better because they are nutrient rich and Roudybush is not. Not here to argue the point. My well experienced avian vet has discussed avian nutrition with me many times. I have learned from him.

Last edited:

Gazimon

Sadly its hard to get certain brands here. Roudybush is carried by some bird shops n larger pet supply stores, but in the smaller shops they dont even have a pellet option. The more easily available alternatives were Kaytee n Zupreem, both dyed which I didnt want to use. Only used Zupreem to help transition my birds to pellets. I have only glimpsed harrisons once, but when I went back the store doesnt carry the line anymore. I gave ordering online via a small local net store a try, that unlucky roudybush packet was the result. Have since contacted the store owner and he apologised and has offered a discount. Aka ordering online means I cant choose the packet I get.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sometimes vets can order for you.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Ugh, I'm so sorry it's difficult to get quality pellets there :( Hopefully your bad luck with these recent bags will turn around and you'll find a great supplier for your birds!

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
You could always use the pellet dust for things like birdie bread, perhaps? I used to feed Roudybush Nibles to my birds, they loved it, but I’ve switched over the ZuPreem Natural and occasionally feed the ZuPreem Fruity Blend. You could also maybe add the dust to their mash, too, with veggies and grains and such. They might like it. If you can and want to, you can definitely put that dust to use! :)