• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rosy Bourke nighttime chirping

Roni P.

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Veronica Padilla
DC092EF2-9FCD-4884-BED8-4511D0312AD1.jpeg Hi! I am brand new to the forum. I have 2 rosy bourke siblings, Luke and Leia, who are two years old. Lately, Luke has been waking my boyfriend and I up in the middle of the night with a strange call. It is not like his normal singing, but a loud repetitive chirp that he will do at 2 am. We just moved into a new apartment at the beginning of the month. The cage is not covered and they have a night light because they have horrible night terrors. Any ideas on why Luke is chirping like this and how to stop it? I’m hoping it will go away in time when he gets used to the new apartment, but any other thoughts are appreciated!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Is the cage in the bedroom? Your BF could invest in ear plugs. You can still cover the cage and have a night light for them. By the way they are beautiful.

lynne5

Sitting on the front steps
@Roni P. , I have two Bourke siblings. I do cover the top of the cage, so that the perches up high are covered. That is where they sleep. They seem to like this, and will call out if I am late covering them (and settle right down when I add the cover).
I also have a night light on near their cage, but it is down low near their cage, so even with the top covered, they get some light.
I'm sure they occasionally chirp, but overall they are very quiet at night.
Your Bourkes may be a bit rattled with the move to a new home, so perhaps covering the top will help.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
Bourkes feed at night in the wild so nocturnal behavior is actually normal.

Roni P.

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Veronica Padilla
Is the cage in the bedroom? Your BF could invest in ear plugs. You can still cover the cage and have a night light for them. By the way they are beautiful.
Yes the cage is in the bedroom. I have definitely considered earplugs, I might try that out tonight and see how it goes. Thank you!

Your Bourkes may be a bit rattled with the move to a new home, so perhaps covering the top will help.
I will have to try that! I actually never considered covering only the top of the cage. They usually prefer to sleep in the top corner anyway. I will let you know how it goes :)

Bourkes feed at night in the wild so nocturnal behavior is actually normal.
I have noticed that they will move around a bit at night, it is mainly the type of chirp that he is making that worries me! Almost an alarm call? Just the same note repeated over and over.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They're really cute!