• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

rosey Bourkes parakeet

Evercast

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Deanna
Hi I'm a somewhat new parakeet owner I got my first almost a year ago, when my local animal shelter said they had two parakeets for adoption I jumped at the chance to adopt figuring my eldest was lonely (seeing as she refuses to be handled) so I went to the shelter and adopted a standard blue parakeet and a very sickly rosey Bourke my vet said it looked like at some point in time she was squeezed and her bones were broken and set wrong he said she'd just be a special needs bird, I am completely OK with that however my other two birds pick on her (especially the one she was adopted with) so I keep her in her own cage with a daily visitation with the others I'm not sure this is the right thing to do when I handle her she is just mortified the vet said she isn't in pain but she makes the saddest cries she doesn't walk well or perch well and has no use at all of her wings I've only had the them for about two months and I really have no clue what I'm doing . If anyone could help me make her life better please do give me suggestions I'm doing my best for her but I'm in over my head a little. Please educate me

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA and sorry about your Bourke but very good of you to take her into your home. What kind of cage is she in? What kind of perches does she have? Any platforms?
You should have a variety of perches and platforms are a good idea. You should pad the bottom of the cage with non pilling fleece or non stringy towels just in case she falls. Make sure that food and water dishes are easily accessible for her.

Evercast

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Deanna
She is in a small cage she has three perches of different shapes sizes and wood if she falls it's not far to the bottom I have only seen her fall once, she was extremely malnourished when I got her so she eats and drinks like a horse. I never thought of putting cloth on the bottom of the cage I'm definitely doing that today! Thank you

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Flat perches, soft padding on the floor of the cage, give her whatever she wants to eat..poor little thing, thank you for helping her.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You would be better off putting her in a long but short cage with another bourke parakeet rather than attempting to keep giving her visitation rights with the budgies...

Can you include pictures of her setup?

What's she eating?