• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rosey Bourke

roseyandgrant

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grant
Hello everyone! I recently have the opportunity to adopt a Rosey Bourke parakeet! Can these birds get along with other parrots? Like a green cheek conure? Please share all you can as the internet doesn't have much info about them! If you have any pics of yours please share!! How long do they live? Diet? Do they talk? Can they learn tricks? I read an article that said that they aren't as smart as other parrots but I don't know if that's true or not! Thanks so much guys!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think bourkes are adorable. I don't have personal experience but have heard their temperament is pretty similar to a cockatiel's- so they're pretty mellow. I also think they're more of a hands off bird. That typically they're not very cuddly but a nice bird. :)

@Monica ?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Can these birds get along with other parrots?
Short answer is yes, they can. That said, they are rather small and "fragile" so one should be careful what you mix them with.

Like a green cheek conure?
Would not recommend.

How long do they live?
They can at least live into their 20's. I had one that died at 19 years old, give or take 1 year. I've heard of some making it to 24/26 ish. Probably rare to see them pass 12-15 though.

I'd recommend a "parakeet" diet.... 50/50 seeds to pellets with fresh foods and sprouts added as part of their diet.

Do they talk?
They aren't known for it, but it can happen.

Can they learn tricks?
Of course!

I read an article that said that they aren't as smart as other parrots but I don't know if that's true or not!
That makes me think of the following meme...

Maybe "smartness", or really, how closely bonded a bird can become to a human, may depend on how much that species naturally allopreens out in the wild. The more they allopreen, the closer the bonds can be with humans. The less they allopreen, the lesser the bond. There may be other factors at play as well, so that may not be very accurate for all birds.

I haven't really noticed that bourkes really allopreen all that much but they can still make fun little pets. I liken them to be something between a cockatiel and a finch. I *DO NOT* recommend clipping their wings. I *DO* recommend keeping them in large flight cages.

Bourkes are crepuscular by nature, meaning they are pretty active at dawn and dusk. They are active during the day as well, just not as much as during those times. They do have larger eyes than many other parrot species as compared to their head which allows them to see better during the dawn and dusk times.

If you are fine with something like a finch or canary in a parrots body with some quirks, then a bourke can be a lovely companion! That said, if you want something more hands on like a conure, then maybe not a bourke. I do highly recommend them for people who are interested! Just be aware that they are kind of different. I've also never had a rosy bourke, only normals. I actually prefer the normals over the rosy type anyway... unless they are blue/green/rainbow rosy bourkes! ;) Or maybe even a white!

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
What we found with Roseys are they are very gentle and calm birds and we kept ours in a walk in aviary with only finch. Beautiful looking with beautiful songs. Smaller than the cockatiels. Diurnal. I would be very cautious about placing with another hookbill. IMHO.
sherri

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I have two bourkes and a green cheek conure, I’d never house them together. The bourkes are very calm, like to sleep, and are easily startled. A conure has too much energy for a bourke. My bourkes remind me of stuck up neighbors who sit and judge my other birds. Both my bourkes were adopted and I haven’t been able to tame them but that’s not to say they can’t be tamed. I don’t think they can talk but they have the sweetest little chirps. They should be on a diet of mainly fresh foods and pellets. My two love their chop but I can’t get them on pellets so they are unfortunately still on seed. Their care is very similar to what a parakeet/ budgie would require. They do need a large cage as they like to jump from perch to perch. I don’t think it’s impossible to tame them but I think it is difficult especially if they weren’t hand raised. That being said my two seem happy having a large cage and being left alone. They are very cute and have such a nice chirp but they’re not the best choice if you want to be hands on with them. I’ll find some pictures when I get home, you can get an idea of their stuck up personality lol