• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rose Breasted eye color

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
So, from what I've seen it seems that the females eye color is very red, but all the pics I've looked at have been wild or outdoor living birds. My question is, do captive bred/indoor/pet female Rosies have that same obvious red color? I'm thinking that my new sister is actually a brother, lol. What do you guys think? We just had her tested for beak and feather so the lab might still have some blood to check for a DNA test, but if it's as obvious as it seems by the photos I've seen, that seems a little silly to do. We would have had it done with that test, but we thought it already had been. The birds name is Rosie and he/she is quite chatty and pretty girl is one of the favorite phrases, lol. Such a cute bird:) I :heart: her already. She looks much better after I took her outside and misted her soaking wet. I doubt she had had a bath in forever. Poor little pinhead:D

0629111432.jpg 0629111541.jpg IMG_9830.jpg

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I'm also amazed at how tiny their beaks are. She's become a little nippy. I guess I should explain the whole story...basically she's 8 years old. Was bought for an elderly woman who is now 82 and going into an assisted living facility. I gather she's been kept in a separate room with the cartoon network on during the day, but only taken out of the cage every couple weeks by the woman's son. Nobody wanted her in the family and they were just going to give her away a.s.a.p. and my mom had thought about a RB2 as her next bird, so I thought that she should at least try and see how it went so either the bird would get a great home with her or we could at least make sure it didn't end up in a sketchy situation. I met her a couple weeks ago and we got along great. Very sweet bird, etc. She got dropped off tuesday and has been at work and I've been very careful to make sure she doesn't bond with me because she/he seems to want to (probably because I'm the one she sees all day long) and is nipping at anyone else that wants to pet or interact with her. I don't think she'll have any trouble falling in love with my mom, but I'm just wondering if they tend to be one person birds in general and how nippy yours are. I've read that they can be. Also, are your birds extra "lovey"/hormonal right now? this bird seems to be...

Yoyo'sMom

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
What a cutie pa tutie! Actually my RB2's eyes are more light brown than red and I'm fairly sure she's a she. The eyes are your Rosie look pretty dark from the pic. I would guess she's a he.

HelenVanessaDavies

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
ADORABLE!!
it looks like a boy to me :)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I think it is a male, he is so cute, love the first photo.

Bubby has really dark brown eyes, we are 100% sure he is definitely a male.

I think the question re: bonding with one person depends on the bird. Bubby is social, will go to anyone and everyone, yet spends a lot of time with my mum, and hasn’t bonded to her to the point where he has turned into a one person bird. I guess socializing him helps, get him used to being around different people and such.

Bubby can get really nippy when he wants to, he can be all sweet and cuddly one minute and a brat the next nipping and trying to get away with it, they may have a small beak, but that small beak can give a nasty bite, believe me, experienced it already lots of times!

All the best to you and your mum with the new RB2, they are such cheeky and sweet birds, but a challenge at the same time.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I was told by my vet that the Rosie's eye color is not indicative of sex. I don't know if this is true or not. I know the white ones generally follow the rule but not always. I would go ahead and do the DNA test to be sure. Congratulations, s/he is adorable.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
thanks for all the input everyone:hug8:. we probably will get the dna test just to make sure, because i can't really tell and it would be good to know. it seemed like she/he was clucking at me and wanted to grab my petting hand with his/her foot to pull backwards towards the vent area.:naughty: which i've seen gypsy do to her toys in her cage when she's "in the mood", but then also seemed to maybe be trying to rub his/her vent area on the perch more like a boy would do. either way, the little devil seems to be a little bit of a horndog. Her/his mouth and tongue are constantly going. I know weeble (and most poi's i've seen) does that lots, is that normal for RB2's or maybe an ocd thing? Anyhoo, here's a link to one of the pictures i ran across showing the eye color difference.

"male nad female galah" by janines | RedBubble

and bubby is so cute! that's what my little boy chihuahua goes by:D

SallyQZ

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
Wow, that pic is amazing! I've never seen a female galah with eyes THAT red. My two galahs are dna tested - one male, one female. They both had dark eyes as babies, and the female is slowwwwwwly getting lighter colored eyes. She is 3 yrs old now and it's obvious that her eyes are lighter than the males. But they are not red like that, or even considerably lighter than the male's eyes. I notice the difference because I stare lovingly at both of them every day. An uniformed observer prob. wouldn't notice the difference.

I've been told that the female's eyes get lighter over time, so it becomes more obvious as the bird ages. But I've also read that it isn't consistent among all RB2's. Some females get really light, some females only get a bit lighter. Who knows what is exactly the truth? LOL!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I may be mistaken, but the two galahs in the picture could be two different sub-species, which may be making a difference. Also, these appear to be wild birds and not pets, which can further change how birds may appear.

Lexicon of Parrots

hotfoot jackson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
According to "A Guide To Australian White Cockatoos; their management, care and breeding" by Chris Hunt published by Australian Birdkeeper Magazine, eye colour determines sex, pink for girls, brown for boys, but they must be 12months of age before they get their adult eye colour.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I may be mistaken, but the two galahs in the picture could be two different sub-species, which may be making a difference. Also, these appear to be wild birds and not pets, which can further change how birds may appear.

Lexicon of Parrots
I agree that it's probably a sub-species difference with this picture.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo

Lexicon of Parrots
yes, i'm thinking it has something to do with being wild birds. i did see pictures with the same red colored eyes in more than one subspecies, but only posted the one.

well, in any case, she's fallen in love with my mom and the two are getting along beautifully. i'm so excited for them both. about to head home to the beach right now:D

QP4CAG

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay
he's GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:heart::hug8:

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
I have heard the eye color thing is not 100% correct but Strawberry's eye are straw colored and she did lay eggs this spring. I have heard the eye color thing applied to pretty much every species of too with some saying it is always correct and just a many saying only for this too or that too. I think the only way to know for sure is sexing or after eggs are found. Right now I don't have any pictures that show Strawberry's eyes because of a computer accident I lost my hard drives and have not yet restored things like pictures.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
well, the results are in......Rosie is a BOY! Lol. It's really hard to stop saying she now, but my mom is so excited to not have to worry about egg related issues.

Strawberry is so cute:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.