• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Roosting posture

MarianAnderson

Moving in
Real Name
Marian
Hi. I have a canary of about 5 years of age who for the last few days is mostly in the "roosting position" on his porch. It has been extremely hot lately but he has two dishes of water always. He is eating his seed and soft food and greens. Fo you think it's just the heat or should I take him to a Vet? Responses and advice eagerly awaited with thanks.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
If it's extremely hot I'm wondering if he's sleeping okay at night. Is it so warm at night you leave windows open to keep it cool? If so anything outside disturbing him, or a draught?
If no to the above it looks like maybe a vet visit, yes.

MarianAnderson

Moving in
Real Name
Marian
I do leave the balcony sliding door open at night so there is ventilation and HD is covered with a light sheet. Thank you for you advice. I will get him to the Vet. Thank you Ripshod

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
As the bird is 5 years old you will have seen how he handled heat in prev. years and if you think it is out of the ordinary then defo a vet visit is a must.

I hope he´s ok, please give us a little update once you´re home again

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
I hope he is ok. If he appears hot lightly mist the air to keep it cool. A sheet will protect against drafts. A canary needs seeds and greens as their staple diet. What is the soft foods? Eggfood is high in protein which shouldn't be daily unless he is raising chicks. A moult can make them less active too. A moult can last for 3 months. Sometimes taking them to a vet can do more harm as it is stressful for them.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes. If you are not taking the bird to the vet, Guardian Angel at the least.

Is having the window open something new? Wondering if he hears something frightening.

If he appears hot lightly mist the air to keep it cool.
This too.

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
I do think treat with the Guardian Angel as it has a probiotic in it plus additional boosters. If he appears to perk up then the probiotics are flushing out the bacterial issue.
Also heat rises..if the top of the cage is covered and it is hot at night he may be getting too hot as the cover won't let the heat out. Sometimes normal routine has to be changed in extreme heat etc.