• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rocky's Eye Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicklette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Courtney
I have two HYPER HYPER Jack Russell Terriers, Rocky and Jack. They are sisters. Rocky had to get one eye removed due to her lens flipping back into her head. This caused extreme pain. Rocky woke up and was squinting so we though, oh she just must have scratched it outside. Well she opened her eye and her pupils were totally black. We rushed her into the vets and he said we had to go to London immediately the next day, and told us she was totally blind in that one eye and in a great deal of pain.

So we took her to London, about a three hour car ride and the next day her eye had to be removed due to pain. When I saw her I almost passed out, it was horrid, I held her and had to sit down because I though I was going to be sick. She was fine, mommy was not.

When we got home she was racing around like normal and this was not good. It was like nothing happened and she had her whole eye removed. So since she was hyper I took her to bed. Her sister, Jack was curious and went to bed with us and we all watched movies. I was crying when I was looking at her. Me and Jack just snuggled up with Rocky and made her feel better.

This was a year ago. “NOW” we have to keep drops in her other eye to help stop it from happening to the other eye which it will eventually. The past month we have been having a lot of trouble. She is bumping into things. We have been taking her to London a lot, her drops were just changed since she is having trouble and we were given two other drops, and one extra emergency one when she staggers. But that dog is still so happy, playful, adapts well and is just absolutely amazing on handling everything that has gone one. We are doing everything possible to stop it from happening to the other eye.

I wish this was not happening. I feel awful for her and will do anything for her to make her feel better. I have an emergency account for her because this is getting very expensive and this helps me feel better knowing I have money for her. Her eye removal was over $1000. If I run into money problems I have a back up plan.

I love her with all my heart and will do what ever it takes to keep that other eye okay but it’s going to happen, we are just buying time. Im reading and training her commands for curbs, stairs, doors, ect. Because even now she walks into things and had trouble with depth perception. If I put something like a treat close up to her she can’t see it so I have to touch her mouth to it. So Im working hard on commands. I tap things when I give her something.

All the vets say she will be just fine blind but Im taking this hard. This is my little girl, she and Jack are my life, all my animals are. There are no words to describe how much I love them. So here are some pics of Rocky and her sister jack.

When they say JRT's are hyper that is putting it lightly, lol. They are NUTS. They are so much fun though, always on the go, it really turns your home upside down. You have to really be prepared for JRT's before buying them. But I will always have one, there a blast.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
thanks for sharing she is cute :hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw she will be just fine with a mom like you :)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm so sorry. I know I would be crying too till I got used to it. We really hurt when things like this happen to our babies. All your dogs are beautiful and all look so sweet. :hug5:

Status
Not open for further replies.