• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rocky had his surgery

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:angel1: Sorry you are both going through this. Shame vet didn't provide an adequate collar.
Is he still on antibiotics? The wound still may be infected?
Hope everything turns out OK.
:sadhug2:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wouldn't think that the vet would charge for a bandage change. I guess I would assume it would be part of the procedure. I can empathize with you regarding vet expenses. I have had non-stop vet bills since November with a few more coming up shortly.
I hope that Rocky's foot/leg will heal and that he will be 100% soon.

Last edited:

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
The bandage changes are $108 each and while most people would assume that they are included with the surgery they are not. And as it turns out he doesn't have an infection the fluid that the emergency vet said was an infection is just fluid that is draining. He has another week of antibiotics but unless I manage to magically win the lottery tonight my dog will have to wait until the 15th before going back to the vet after tomorrow.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you work out something with your vet so you can just pay a portion of the bill or pay the whole thing after you get paid next week?

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
I wish they would but they are refusing to do so and honestly seem like they are all about the money. I will NOT be keeping this vet after this is all over with that's for sure.

fireball249

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Definitely. We had a vet that was willing to do partial payment plans for us when our new puppy came down with parvo. A good vet should. So sorry for all this mess you are having to go through! Prayers that everything gets better for you quickly!!

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
Well good news today even though it's still draining it's not dripping like it was Monday also they only charged me $75 which leaves enough on the care credit (credit card I had to open to pay for all of this since Friday) to still do 1 more bandage change this in 2 days then we may just remove that bandage on Sunday and re bandage it on the 15th

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
So good news his wound is no longer draining they were able to change his bandage his next appointment will be on the 15th

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad that Rocky has healed. Sorry about the cost. Vet bills can get very expensive.

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
They get even more expensive when the vet is too stupid to listen when you tell them that the e-collar is too big

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's too bad about the e-collar. When one of my dog's had lithotripsy they didn't charge me for the collar (didn't see it itemized on the bill) but the cost for the diagnostics and then the procedure was @ $4000.

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
I was not only charged for the e-collar but also the emergency vet visit then the regular vet visit that same day and every other vet visit that occurred as a result of him getting out of the e-collar and tearing open his stitches

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Is there another vet in your area? Your current one sounds rubbish honestly and if it were me I'd be trying to find a different one. When my now-deceased dog Bear had to have a few very invasive fatty lipomas removed last year and got a massive infection due to them accidentally giving me the wrong antibiotic all his follow up was free and they were extremely apologetic. (And to be clear, that isn't what caused his death. He recovered, lived another 7-8 months, and passed of something unrelated.)

I'm sorry you both had to go through all that though, but grateful it's over. And sorry about the cost, that really doesn't seem fair to you and it feels like a good vet would have handled it better.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's too bad that they kept charging for everything. I would think that they wouldn't charge for re-stitching him. Last week when I brought SETI and Roswell to my regular vet she only charged me for one of them. One of my other vets lets me do partial payments but I have been going there for many years.

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
They actually did not restitch him they just kept rebandaging his wound. Most likely in an effort to charge as much as possible. Saturdays visit was his last at that vet. They made it pretty clear the only thing they are concerned with is how much money they can squeeze out of someone. Now that he is healed I have been looking up vets in the area to switch him over to I just didn't want to do it while he was recovering

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Good to hear Rocky is doing better. I would look for a different vet also.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope you find a good vet who will not try to get every $$ out of you that he/she can. To charge for just rebandaging does not seem right at all, IMHO. The good thing is that Rocky is doing well now.