• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Rocket Has Gout. Suggestions Wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teasha

Rollerblading along the road

OMG don't get me started on that. Korbel has been on every antibiotic under the sun! Batril, nystatin, doxy, clavamox, cefa drops, etc etc etc. None were as bad as the Amphoteracin. Twice a day he would look at me in horror and on top of that I was practically force feeding him. When giving the Amphoteracin you are supposed to wear gloves and protect yourself and that would scare him even worse. The medicine made him so sick and he would vomit awful. I would cry when it was time to feed and give meds. He did not like me, but he still loves me. Now he is the love of my life (and a little drug addict) he is on meds now for another small infection and he loves med time. Weirdo! If I am late he comes to get me. Rocket will have good days, and bad days. You will have good days, and bad days. All I have to say is I know you breed and I assume sell. Rocket better already have his forever home. :)
There is no way he is leaving this house. :D Korbel is lucky to have you! I can't imagine force feeding a beak like that! :eek:

Teasha

Rocket wanted to say hi!

Millet heaven.

AND SOLID normal poop!

:dance4: :dance4: :dance4: :dance4: :dance4:

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Rocket is such a cutie pie:)

Teasha

Wow the changes in him in the past few days are amazing. I wonder why I even asked that terrible question. He is eating his seed more and more and millet is also devoured. I see him drink a lot for a bird which is good. He is so much more active and sings! :heart: And I swear his feet look less swollen. But I'm not 100% sure lol. I am so happy right now, I thought we would never get this far! It's truly amazing! I am hoping he will have some use of his feet eventually so he can perch and fly more, but as long as he is happy that's what counts the most!

A thank you to all who have been following along and giving support and advice. It does mean so much to me. I tend to over worry when my pets are sick or hurt. But having someone to talk to really does help. Hopefully we will continue to see Rocket improve even more and be the happy healthy bird he is meant to be!

:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Keep up the good work, Teasha and Rocket. :heart::heart:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I too had one of those moments and needed a slap in the face! It is natural when you are the caregiver of an animal that can not speak to you. How do you really know if you are prolonging suffering? I am so glad Rocket has improved quickly. Korbel was sick for months and the meds made him worse, Fight fight fight Teasha!

0314120907.jpg

The upside down blue man was my sick one!

Teasha

Wow he looks so healthy! Thanks for the perk, helps to know there is an end to this!

Rocket seems to be filling out with more breast feathers...

Here is Rocket a few days ago.

And today.

His feet look better to me.

He still walks on his heels but I'm hoping he will soon walk on his feet.

Fun photos!

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
:omg: He looks so much better, Teasha!!!! Go Rocket!!!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Great job!!!!! He does look better! :heart:

Dani

Avenue Veteran
:starshower::starshower::starshower:YAY ROCKET!! SO ADORABLE, YOU GO ROCKET AND TEASHA!! :marlenesmile::marlenesmile::marlenesmile:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Awww, he is so cute playing. I bet that makes you feel good. :hehe:

Teasha

Thank you! It does make me feel very good and extremely happy! :dance4:

Teasha

Sitting here thinking. Rockets feet look awesome besides one worrisome spot. He uses his feet to get to a tall toy but otherwise still walks on his elbows. I think it's from habit, it's all he has known since he was little. I have been massaging his feet and bending them gently off and on. He doesn't climb up his ramps anymore since I put his cage up high, maybe I should put it lower to encourage him to use the top of his cage. It's currently on top of a flight cage. So I think he feels safe being high.

I also was thinking about putting things on the floor that would encourage his feet to maybe bend like bigger perches, pieces of wood, etc but laying the perches on the floor to start off with and then try to move it up gradually. He has also outgrown his crock dishes but I need a certain kind of bowl for him. Not too big or deep so he don't drown. Easy to get to the food without having to perch on it or bend over too much. Guess I could add marbles if I have to. Bought the last ones at Petsmart might have to drive down there to see if they have bigger ones.
Any ideas to get him to use his feet more? Could duct tape his feet straight. :lol:Just Kidding!

Should I lower his cage?

Also was thinking he might benefit from interaction with another bird?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.