• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rock Pebbler Parakeet

optimisticStar

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hello,

Anyone here with a rock pebbler parakeet?

I would like to know if a non-hand tamed parakeet of 3-4 years can still be tamed. Rock pebblers are very hard to find. I have a store nearby who has them but they are 3-4yrs and not tamed. Breeders around doesn't have them and so does the rescue store.

I researched a lot about them and I find them sweet and perfect for an apartment living.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
My first time hearing of them called 'rock pebbler.' :)

The closet relative in my area is the King Parrot. The family that comes to my house is very sweet. They chat with my Plumhead parrot :xflove:

Some of my neighbors | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

optimisticStar

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
My first time hearing of them called 'rock pebbler.' :)

The closet relative in my area is the King Parrot. The family that comes to my house is very sweet. They chat with my Plumhead parrot :xflove:

Some of my neighbors | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
They are more like a medium sized parakeets with low noise and laid back personality. Here are some of the pics - 34 Best Rock Pebbler Parakeet AKA: Regent Parrots images | Parrots, Parakeet, Parakeets

I finally found one in California and did put a hold on him. I shall be getting him home in next couple-few weeks.

Zygodactylous

Meeting neighbors
I have a 1 year old male. He was handfed and tamed, and he's still very independent. They don't allopreen in the wild from what I hear, and as such they don't really understand being touched or petted. They *do* love all other kinds of interaction though! My guy likes being involved in everything I do around the house, getting into trouble, watching TV or videos on my phone, hanging out next to me while I read, clicker training, and talking/singing with me.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I have a 1 year old male. He was handfed and tamed, and he's still very independent. They don't allopreen in the wild from what I hear, and as such they don't really understand being touched or petted. They *do* love all other kinds of interaction though! My guy likes being involved in everything I do around the house, getting into trouble, watching TV or videos on my phone, hanging out next to me while I read, clicker training, and talking/singing with me.

This is similar to most Asiatic parrots too. My plumhead is not into head scritches, nor body/head touch. They are also not allopreeners. He is very sociable and interactive. He really loves spending time with me. I love our relationship. :heart2:

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
i have a Superb parrot also called Barraband parakeet and exept for the color they do look similar and if the personnality is similar too, they are hard to tame, mine was handfed but didn't get much human contact just the minimum and after the weaning almost none which resulted in a bird scared of hands.... i have a friend that had one and hers was fully hand raised and socialized but ened up being skittish also.

i think those birds species can be tame, but it is hard to do and a lot of work, and for a bird that age you will need a soooooooo much patience.

just trying to help here

i think that King Parrot, Superb parrot and Regent parakeet are not the easiest to tame. Maybe continue your research a little more ?

i chose Superb parrot because of the beautiful colors and the medium size, i don't regret it but i do think i should have researched more, about species that really suits what i am looking for in a bird (friendly, sweet nature, intelligence, cuddly).

i love my bird and he is so funny and fun to watch, but i do miss a bird that can be touched

optimisticStar

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I tried petting my bird yesterday at the store. He didn't like it initially, but started enjoying it after a while. Since he is just 2.5 months right now. I thought if I can start training him to like the petting that would be great. However, I will be able to bring him home when he is 3-4 months, so not sure if he will remember the petting, but will keep trying.

I need to see videos on clicker training so I can train him. My tiel was hand fed and hand tamed, but still never got trained. He is very stubborn guy and I always have a hard time putting him back into cage. Even giving him treats doesn't work.

optimisticStar

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
This is similar to most Asiatic parrots too. My plumhead is not into head scritches, nor body/head touch. They are also not allopreeners. He is very sociable and interactive. He really loves spending time with me. I love our relationship. :heart2:
My second choice was plum or alexandrine if I couldn't find rock pebbler. These birds are so difficult to find.

optimisticStar

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
i have a Superb parrot also called Barraband parakeet and exept for the color they do look similar and if the personnality is similar too, they are hard to tame, mine was handfed but didn't get much human contact just the minimum and after the weaning almost none which resulted in a bird scared of hands.... i have a friend that had one and hers was fully hand raised and socialized but ened up being skittish also.

i think those birds species can be tame, but it is hard to do and a lot of work, and for a bird that age you will need a soooooooo much patience.

just trying to help here

i think that King Parrot, Superb parrot and Regent parakeet are not the easiest to tame. Maybe continue your research a little more ?

i chose Superb parrot because of the beautiful colors and the medium size, i don't regret it but i do think i should have researched more, about species that really suits what i am looking for in a bird (friendly, sweet nature, intelligence, cuddly).

i love my bird and he is so funny and fun to watch, but i do miss a bird that can be touched
Yeah am not sure how this guy will turn out. From whatever I read and after talking to people who owns rock pebbler, they said these birds are not cuddly, but they love to sit and spend time with you. He allowed me to pet him yesterday for a while, but he is still not completely weaned. I did come across a video where the guy was able to pet his pebbler and was also able to lay him down on the back, but I think that would happen after a lot of trust built up. These place also had some Superb parrots and some alexandrines too.

I guess you might like GCC then since they are friendly and cuddly in general, but very nippy too. I tried playing with them yesterday at the store and they were sweet and enjoyed the company. I like lories too, but their and maintenance would be too much for me. But I found them very affectionate.

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
Yeah am not sure how this guy will turn out. From whatever I read and after talking to people who owns rock pebbler, they said these birds are not cuddly, but they love to sit and spend time with you. He allowed me to pet him yesterday for a while, but he is still not completely weaned. I did come across a video where the guy was able to pet his pebbler and was also able to lay him down on the back, but I think that would happen after a lot of trust built up. These place also had some Superb parrots and some alexandrines too.

I guess you might like GCC then since they are friendly and cuddly in general, but very nippy too. I tried playing with them yesterday at the store and they were sweet and enjoyed the company. I like lories too, but their and maintenance would be too much for me. But I found them very affectionate.
yes that is exactly right, my superb parrot likes to land on my head and spend time on it, on rare occasion my shoulder, he likes to sing and he is good at whistle the intro song of harry potter and the adam's family, but he doesn't step up, does not allow me to touch him and is happy as long as i am not too close.

yes i would be interested in getting some type of conure like the black cap i used to have or maybe a poicephalus or a cockatiel because i am looking for a pet that i can touch and shows affection.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@optimisticStar It is wonderful that you got to meet your young bird, too bad you have to wait so long to get him home. As a little bird he will be more respective of touch/petting. I do not think should be expected when he is an adult bird. It isn't a normal behaviour for adults of his species so "training" them to tolerate it is probably not the best idea. Teaching him a trick--laying in a hand for a treat-- this may work. I think you will have better success building trust if you accept his nature.

I don't know if you have experience with cats, but this might help as an comparison. If you pet a cat on the head of back they are happy as a pea in a pod. If you pet a cats stomach they will usually nip or bite. This isn't because the cat is a bad cat, or hasn't been trained to like tummy rubs.. It is because it is overwhelmingly stimulating to the cat's sensitive tummy. Dogs on the other hand love a tummy rub, because this is a natural behaviour in dogs. This is a way they can show their trust and position in their pack.

Encouraging or promoting a non allopreening bird to accept scritches can become very stimulating and overwhelming to the bird. I think it will be a much stronger and healthier relationship to respect the bird's boundary this way. Imagine your friend touching the most ticklish spot on your body---you might become numb to it over time.

My plummie loves being on me. He runs up and down my sleeves, sleeps on my shoulder and hops on my lap. I don't touch his head. I don't pet his back. -He loves me all the same. He is so excited to see me in the morning and he sings all the time. Touch is really not required to have a super awesome bird friend. :)

optimisticStar

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
yes that is exactly right, my superb parrot likes to land on my head and spend time on it, on rare occasion my shoulder, he likes to sing and he is good at whistle the intro song of harry potter and the adam's family, but he doesn't step up, does not allow me to touch him and is happy as long as i am not too close.

yes i would be interested in getting some type of conure like the black cap i used to have or maybe a poicephalus or a cockatiel because i am looking for a pet that i can touch and shows affection.
I have a tiel, but he only allows me to touch him for scritches. I had him when he was of 5 months and I got him from a breeder. However he was my first bird from a breeder and I was bad at training pets too. Also he learnt a few tricks and I used to reward him for that, but once he started doing it regularly I stopped rewarding and after a year or so, he stopped doing it, so I am not sure if I was supposed to reward him everytime.

But in general, I have seen this with most tiels where they only allow their owner to touch for scritches.

optimisticStar

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@optimisticStar It is wonderful that you got to meet your young bird, too bad you have to wait so long to get him home. As a little bird he will be more respective of touch/petting. I do not think should be expected when he is an adult bird. It isn't a normal behaviour for adults of his species so "training" them to tolerate it is probably not the best idea. Teaching him a trick--laying in a hand for a treat-- this may work. I think you will have better success building trust if you accept his nature.

I don't know if you have experience with cats, but this might help as an comparison. If you pet a cat on the head of back they are happy as a pea in a pod. If you pet a cats stomach they will usually nip or bite. This isn't because the cat is a bad cat, or hasn't been trained to like tummy rubs.. It is because it is overwhelmingly stimulating to the cat's sensitive tummy. Dogs on the other hand love a tummy rub, because this is a natural behaviour in dogs. This is a way they can show their trust and position in their pack.

Encouraging or promoting a non allopreening bird to accept scritches can become very stimulating and overwhelming to the bird. I think it will be a much stronger and healthier relationship to respect the bird's boundary this way. Imagine your friend touching the most ticklish spot on your body---you might become numb to it over time.

My plummie loves being on me. He runs up and down my sleeves, sleeps on my shoulder and hops on my lap. I don't touch his head. I don't pet his back. -He loves me all the same. He is so excited to see me in the morning and he sings all the time. Touch is really not required to have a super awesome bird friend. :)
I think there is a rule in California where they cannot sell a bird until it's completely weaned. I don't have experience with other pets other than birds. Am fine if he doesn't want scritches, but if he can step up and be will me most of the time even that works fine. I don't want a super cuddly bird, but also not someone who is kind of aggressive. We had an IRN who wasn't cuddly, but aggressive and hence was difficult to deal with.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I think there is a rule in California where they cannot sell a bird until it's completely weaned. I don't have experience with other pets other than birds. Am fine if he doesn't want scritches, but if he can step up and be will me most of the time even that works fine. I don't want a super cuddly bird, but also not someone who is kind of aggressive. We had an IRN who wasn't cuddly, but aggressive and hence was difficult to deal with.

That is an awesome Rule. :D