• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rock eating lovebird

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
hi!
my lovies enjoy foraging for seeds between rocks, but I just noticed that Henkie eats a bit of the rock:blink: he took one in his beak and just scraped a bit of rock away and I think he ate it. It is bit hard to explain, but if he eates it, it is powder and no big pieces. Is this harmful? I don't think so but I would like to hear your Opninion on it!

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It shouldn't do anything. You could provide them with something like a Manu or other mineral block. Sounds like that's possibly what he's after?

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
He's probably okay. I wouldn't worry too much. I agree with @LunaLovebird maybe a mineral block, should stop any cravings. Our birds love tasting everything. Windowsills, corners, bits of seeds stuck in the pain I didn't get with the vacuum or got stuck. I'm always hoping there is nothing on the screen from outside that they can lick off the screen. They all seem to be okay. Because they use their beaks to climb and do all the things we do with our hands, things get in there. I feed them inside (never outdoors unless it is out of my hand or inside their cage) and don't mix outdoor birds with my indoor ones. That my main concern.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thank you both! I am happy you think it is fine as well. I completly Forgot to put his sepia Shell back after is took down the old tree, you are probably right that that is what he wants:)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Be very careful anytime a bird starts eating rocks. My Hank had a habit of chewing on rocks and decomposed granite and finally got impacted in his crop. We were able to get him unimpacted through pumpkin and metamucil and lots of fluid and antibiotics. $1,000 dollars and 6 weeks later he was well and I was very attentive to what he was eating - forevermore.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Oo WoW thank you! I Will defiantly keep a close eye to see if he Still does it. I am happy Hank was safe after all that trouble:faint: