• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ROAD TRIP ADVICE NEEDED.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I am getting ready to take Kai on his first 3 hour road trip from NY to PA and am getting confused and have some concerns about gassing up and the drinking water in PA. I never did all the reading etc with my canary that I’ve been doing with Kai so I never worried about traveling with him. Mango was a fantastic traveler and sang his heart out during many of our trips back and forth to PA. I never worried about gassing up with him in the car and I never used bottled water when we got to our destination. As with Mango, Kai will never be left in a hot or cold car and already has the same cage setup in PA as NY. With the exception of the water food etc will all be the same. I guess what I really need to know is do I need to get bottled water for him while in PA and what about gassing up with him in the car?All advice is appreciated but would especially like to hear from anyone who travels with their Parrotlets.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I always worry about getting fuel when I have Burt in the car.

If you are travelling with someone maybe you could drop them somewhere for a few minutes (weather permitting) while you get fuel?

The water I am not sure about as water quality can change so easily from place to place. If I’m ever concerned about water quality when I take Burt somewhere then I either take water from home with me or buy bottled stuff to give him while out.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
During travel you can provide cucumbers and grapes during the car ride. They are high moister and Kai can nibble on them. Will help him hydrate on the go.

I would also start training Kai.

1. Train Kai to get accustom to the car travel carrier and the layout.
2. When Kai is happy in the carrier you can start practice rides around the block a few times.

These little things will help make it less stressful. If you are worried about water quality in PA buy a bottled spring water for him, or you can bring water from your home.

My boys traveled before, but we are still working on training. It isn't a popular event for them yet. They nibble on the grapes and veg a little bit.

In terms of gassing up, just be quick about it. It will be dangerous, hot days will be worse. You can try and place a thick blanket over them for the short while you are at the pump. When you are out of there, open all the windows and let it air out. Then remove the blanket. --Don't leave the blanket on there long at all. It is just an attempt to protect them from some fume. It will not provided absolute protection.

I hope some other have ideas to share. This is what I do.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
What's the problem with the water there? If it is polluted, get bottled water but check the salt contents as it may vary consideraby from brand to brand. Otherwise you could boil the water if you are worried about bacteria.

As for gassing up...?! Would you take your baby out of the car for that? I guess if you have the windows closed there is no problem? But the easiest is to tank up before you leave, you should be able to drive 3 hours on a full tank, don't you?

But honestly, if your canary was doing fine, I don't see why it should be different with Kai.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
What's the problem with the water there? If it is polluted, get bottled water but check the salt contents as it may vary consideraby from brand to brand. Otherwise you could boil the water if you are worried about bacteria.

As for gassing up...?! Would you take your baby out of the car for that? I guess if you have the windows closed there is no problem? But the easiest is to tank up before you leave, you should be able to drive 3 hours on a full tank, don't you?

But honestly, if your canary was doing fine, I don't see why it should be different with Kai.
Thank you for your reply. There is nothing wrong with the water in my PA house and I actually have a filter on the faucet. Never had an issue with my canary but recently read that when traveling to another state you should use bottled water for your birds. Never thought of boiling the water. Thanks for the suggestion. We do gas up before we leave home but we also gas up for our return trip back to NY. Since the gas stations are no where near our community we gas up in route back to NY. With the canary I would put the carry cage on the front floor of the car and cover three sides with a light towel so the sun wouldn’t beat on him. We either had the windows opened or the air on. We do a lot of traveling back md forth to PA during the summer months. Sometimes I think I do to much reading and scare myself.

Last edited:

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
During travel you can provide cucumbers and grapes during the car ride. They are high moister and Kai can nibble on them. Will help him hydrate on the go.

I would also start training Kai.

1. Train Kai to get accustom to the car travel carrier and the layout.
2. When Kai is happy in the carrier you can start practice rides around the block a few times.

These little things will help make it less stressful. If you are worried about water quality in PA buy a bottled spring water for him, or you can bring water from your home.

My boys traveled before, but we are still working on training. It isn't a popular event for them yet. They nibble on the grapes and veg a little bit.

In terms of gassing up, just be quick about it. It will be dangerous, hot days will be worse. You can try and place a thick blanket over them for the short while you are at the pump. When you are out of there, open all the windows and let it air out. Then remove the blanket. --Don't leave the blanket on there long at all. It is just an attempt to protect them from some fume. It will not provided absolute protection.

I hope some other have ideas to share. This is what I do.
Thank you for your reply. I’ve have actually taken Kai a few times in the car to the lady I purchased him from to have his nails and beak trimmed. It’s a good 20 minute each way and he always did just fine.

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
I traveled all over the place with my little guy Curtis. Michigan to New Jersey, and even out to Denver once. For water on the go, I agree that it's a good idea to have a nice wet fruit or veggie to be sure they can hydrate easier, for water, you can always fill up something at home from your tap in a bottle and then use that if you're worried. Curtis hated driving through the mountain tunnels in PA but he mostly enjoyed getting all the attention of being in a travel cage right on the passenger's lap. As long as you don't leave them in a hot or cold car and watch out for any fumes or places he might tumble when the car has a sudden stop (such as if your travel cage is too big), then you should be okay!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
he might tumble when the car has a sudden stop (such as if your travel cage is too big), then you should be okay!
If I just travel in town I use a small transport cage, but I've also travelled a couple of times with a bigger cage, I just had it on the back seat with the seat belt on. Went very well!

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
If I just travel in town I use a small transport cage, but I've also travelled a couple of times with a bigger cage, I just had it on the back seat with the seat belt on. Went very well!
The issue there is that the seat belt holds the cage in place but not your bird, so if you hit a sudden stop and they aren't gripping a perch tightly enough, they can get thrown off and hit the wall of the cage. I know that most trips go by without any sudden violently hard stops, but I always wanted to be extra careful because they're so small and fragile. You want them to have some room to move of course, but for a p'let the big 20+ inch cage we had would've been far too big if had gotten thrown around.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
The issue there is that the seat belt holds the cage in place but not your bird, so if you hit a sudden stop and they aren't gripping a perch tightly enough, they can get thrown off and hit the wall of the cage. I know that most trips go by without any sudden violently hard stops, but I always wanted to be extra careful because they're so small and fragile. You want them to have some room to move of course, but for a p'let the big 20+ inch cage we had would've been far too big if had gotten thrown around.
That's of course a problem, but a smaller cage would waltz through the wind shield if not hold by someone so it's not much better, and you can't have them in those tiny cages for a longer trip. I don't use their usual cage but a smaller one on trips. I renovate their usual outside "voliere" now so I use this smaller cage to have them outside now, but I wouldn't keep them in there the whole day, one bird would be OK but it is too small for 2 of them.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I am getting ready to take Kai on his first 3 hour road trip from NY to PA and am getting confused and have some concerns about gassing up and the drinking water in PA. I never did all the reading etc with my canary that I’ve been doing with Kai so I never worried about traveling with him. Mango was a fantastic traveler and sang his heart out during many of our trips back and forth to PA. I never worried about gassing up with him in the car and I never used bottled water when we got to our destination. As with Mango, Kai will never be left in a hot or cold car and already has the same cage setup in PA as NY. With the exception of the water food etc will all be the same. I guess what I really need to know is do I need to get bottled water for him while in PA and what about gassing up with him in the car?All advice is appreciated but would especially like to hear from anyone who travels with their Parrotlets.
UPDATE (Hope I am doing this right).
Hi all. So sorry it took so long for me to let you know how Kai did on his first road trip. I am delighted to say that he did just great. I kept his travel cage on my lap most of the trip and did scratches with him through the bar. He loved it. Since I don’t give Kai much seeds I treated him to a nice amount in a small dish at the bottom of his cage. He enjoyed that. Since there was a cage identical to his already set up at the house he was right at home. We made one gas up on the way back and my hubby let me out of the car with Kai. I walked over to the McDonalds across the way and waited there while my hubby gassed up. While everything went well with Kai unfortunately my pup (12yrs) was not acting herself and the night before we were planning to head for home had stopped eating. We ended up leaving earlier so I could take her to her Dr. Sadly test showed her kidneys starting to fail. She was very sick but with the IV treatments and meds that I give her everyday she is doing much better. Thus the main reason I have not been in the forum. Poor Kai has definitely been feeling neglected but I am slowly getting back to giving him the attention he once had. He is still sweet and very lovable. Please send prayers and positive energy our way.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am so sorry for your pup.

I lost my dog to pancreatic hemorrhage last Oct. It rips a hole in your heart.

Sending positive vibes. :bighug::bluhug:

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I am so sorry for your pup.

I lost my dog to pancreatic hemorrhage last Oct. It rips a hole in your heart.

Sending positive vibes. :bighug::bluhug:
Thank you so much. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your pup. Yes, it is very heartbreaking to have to say goodbye to our beloved pets. Roxie is my third. Lass my mix breed lived a wonder 14 years before her time had come. I lost my mini poodle 12 years ago to kidney failure at age 15 and a half years. I never expected Roxie (my Yorkie) to have any issues for some time yet. Her Dr felt that because she has a strong heart and clear lungs that she would be a good candidate for dialysis at home. I feel bad having to put the IV needle into her every morning. She puts up with it but doesn’t like it. She is responding well to treatment and has come a long way in the past four weeks. She could be with us for weeks, months, or years. All depends on how long she continues to respond to treatment.