• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Riti has Curlers in her "Hair"

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
She has a few Pens coming in that she might or might not let me help her with. But she is doing better all the time as far as her fear of hands goes, yesterday she hoped up on my forearm, and sat there for a couple of minutes before taking off. So it's all good.

Curlers.JPG

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I have looked into kakariki a little bit. They are so beautiful :) How do they get along with other birds? I just saw in your sig that you have had a parrotlet, so I was wondering how they were with each other or if they needed to stay separate.

Last edited:

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Streak had passed before I got Riti, so I can't say. I can say she will "Bully" Dodger at times by getting in his face but she doesn't seem to do so to Nibble or Piper very much if at all. I worry more about her and Cheddar as he wants to "Have his way with her" if you catch my drift.

She has been a lot of work to tame down even as much as I have been able to. I read that Kakarikis were brought in as aviary birds and I can see why as she is so flighty and shy at times. While she and I have made great headway she still is hand shy but will step up on my arm and likes my shoulder or my head. And she will take treats from my hand so it can be done.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Thank you very much for the reply. So far Pi, has gotten on very well the the Parrotlets. I think it works out fairly well because plumheads are so gregarious and not really territorial. The forage together and chat together. They also look out of the window together. The biggest problem I have is that the parrotlets wiggle dance for Pi and try to get sexy with him. Pi has no idea what all the fuss is about and is not interested. He just opens his beak at them and lowers his head, trying to point out he is not interested. Neptune tries to get help with pin feathers from Pi, which is another thing Pi would rather not be involved with. Pi can get frustrated with it, but his reaction is safe and he is a very peaceful temperament. So far the communication gap between the species has been peacefully resolved, but I am always supervising them.

Kakariki are very stunning. Bulling may cause the parrotlets to have some sort of parrot battle...hummm My lovely feisty boys.

For now I will keep watching kakariki beauty via lovely Riti. She is such a doll! I am sure once you make that breakthrough in hand trust it will really take off. Birds always seem to really excel once they have that 'Ah Ha!' moment and realise this human can be trusted.