• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ringneck questions

Jackie119

Moving in
Hello new here not sure if I’ve done it right iv just got this lovely bird but don’t seem to know much about him think he’s 6 month old not sure of sex any information would be great thank you

Attachments

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Sure is a cute little one!

Rings don't start coming in until the bird is at least year old, so at six months, you won't be able to tell the sex, unless you have he/she tested.

I love IRNs...we had the pleasure of having Titan with us for 26 years. :)

Free free to ask any specific questions you have..also read the thread "Good, Bad, and Ugly about Indian Ringnecks"...

Jackie119

Moving in
Thank you iv only had sky 3 days so he/she still settling in won’t come near me yet so not sure if to let him out as he probably won’t go back in he very vocal ha love him

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
IRNs can be a little hard to get to trust you at first, seems to be a theme with most Indonesian parrots. I would suggest treats and positive reinforcement on that front. I worked with my parents IRN who refused to come out of the cage and I figured out what his favorite treats were and then basically used them to start to persuade him to come out on his own. Now he hops out and is fine. He's also young, but they had him DNA'd to know what he was.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Sky! :)

Jackie119

Moving in
Had my little sky week now looked at advise ect but he won’t come any were near me I’ve tried taking food out on night and then offered him his favourite grape before putting his food back in I sit most day near cage and talk to him I feel sorry for him that I carnt let him out cage as I won’t get him back in best thing is he run round cage if he thinks I’m not in room any advice please

Elrav

Meeting neighbors
A week isn't a very long time. I got a pair of alexandrines a month and a half ago and the male still won't come anywhere near me. After lots of treats and slow movements, I've finally earned enough of his trust that he won't rush to the other side of the cage when change foodbowls but he still does not like it when I come too close. Even when I give him treats, he needs me to drop it in the food bowl and go at least 4 feet away from the cage for him to approach the treat. It takes time but every little success is worth it.

Was your IRN tame before you got him/her?

Jackie119

Moving in
Thank you just was worried about him coming out cage bless him x

Jackie119

Moving in
All information I got was he 6 month old called sky and he started to step up

LesBirdman

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Leslie Wessling
Is Sky flighted or are wings clipped? Sometimes clipping wings can make a bird more dependent on you to get around and can make bonding easier but I have heard (and read in good, bad and ugly) that clipping their wings can make them a little bitey, though I would get bitey too if you forced me to cut my hair :)

Just be patient, make sure s/he is getting enough sleep at night and keep the food and water clean and fresh. Some birds take longer than others to come around, my little lucky was out of the cat carrier within 10 minutes of bringing him/her home and wasn't afraid of me in the slightest, but the breeder had been fairly active with Lucky before I brought him/her home and had fully hand reared so it was relatively used to being around people.

Jackie119

Moving in
Hi no not clipped don’t want to clip him started to give him fruit veg as he was only on mixed parrot food like you said he do it in his own time thank you for replying

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Hi no not clipped don’t want to clip him started to give him fruit veg as he was only on mixed parrot food like you said he do it in his own time thank you for replying
I wouldn’t clip him to make him dependant on you, that is not right in my opninion. So great you don’t want to do that! Building trust is far better! Do you feed him in his cage? Does he have favorite toys or food? If so, put those only in his cage. Think like Sky(who is the most beautiful ringneck I have seen so far by the way!), is hus cage a place he gets locked up in after all the fun, or is it a place of extended fun where there’s is tasty food and fun toys?:)

Jackie119

Moving in
Hi everyone has there own choice to clip but to me if he didn’t need his lovely wings he wouldn’t have them his cage is open all day and since I got him he now has fresh fruit veg his favourite is grape so I use them when I feed him and to get him back in cage at night thank you for replying

Jackie119

Moving in
This is my baby sky after a month of me getting him I think he so cute x

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
Had my little sky week now looked at advise ect but he won’t come any were near me I’ve tried taking food out on night and then offered him his favourite grape before putting his food back in I sit most day near cage and talk to him I feel sorry for him that I carnt let him out cage as I won’t get him back in best thing is he run round cage if he thinks I’m not in room any advice please
All of what you are experiencing is pretty normal. I have both an Indian Ringneck and an African Ringneck. neither of them really like to be touched. When I am going to let them out for play time, I remove the food about an hour prior to opening the cages. I let them come out on their own I have a playstand set up, and there is a perching area above one of the cages. The bird room is on the small side 12ft x 14ft. sometimes they fly around a bit sometimes they go straight to the playstand. While they are out I can tidy the cages and I usually take that time to talk to them. Typically after a couple hours they are ready to go back to the cage for a snack, so I put a favorite treat in their food dish like an almond or a bit of apple, and allow them to go back on their own. When they see me put the food bowls back in I make sure they see me drop the extra treat in, then sit back away from the cages and wait till they go back in. Sometimes it is in 5 minutes and sometimes it is 20 minutes or so. Your bird will learn to enjoy time around you without stressing out. You will have more success if you allow the bird to interact with you away from the cage.