• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ringneck Doves

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
I've, very recently, started looking into doves as companion birds, specifically ringnecks. They seem to be, so far, a much better option for my family and my future. I've been looking around for information and I can't find much, or at least not as much, information as there is on more common companion birds like budgies and other parrots/parakeets. I decided it'd be a good idea to ask about some basic care for ringneck doves and more complicated questions later so I hope anyone who has doves doesn't mind me picking their brain about some simple questions.

My first question is about cage size. I've read that cockatiel-sized bar spacing is good for indoor ringneck doves and that they should be wider rather than tall with wide perches and space to fly. I've been told they need maybe two or three toys that are destructible by their beaks and that softwood and jingle balls are good. As well as making sure not to crowd the cage so they can fly easily. I will not clip them ever because it is their only good mode of transportation. I also heard they need a basket or coconut half to sit in. Is there anything else I should know about this?

About light requirements, do they need sunlight without glass and would a bulb work for this if light can't be given all year round (winter)? I've heard of pellets with D3 in them but I'm unsure if they could eat that. How often would they need light and for how long? I have a large window where they could sit near but I'm not sure if it can get D3 through glass and if that would become a temperature problem.

For food, from what I've heard they need a seed mix with grit mixed in and fresh fruit/vegetables as well. Would they enjoy a sprout mix as well or are their plant requirements different than parrots? Do they have any issues with fatty liver very often and what percent of their diet should be seed mix? They also seem to need extra calcium and I'm not sure if that's true but if it is, do I shred a portion of a block into their food or put a block inside for them to scrape off (not sure if their beaks are that strong)?

And finally, my schedule. I have a very routine life but I'm wondering if I should have multiple birds or not. I will be gone for 7-8 hours a day during the week and if the dove will sleep for 11 hours that leaves only 5 hours for me to be with them constantly. Will that be enough for one alone or should I get two or should I wait until I settle down and have more time for a bird? On the weekends I will almost never have anything going on so I can be around all day and I hardly ever go on vacation. If the rare occurrence of a vacation arises I will be gone for a maximum of five days and I have a friend who loves birds as well and would be willing to care for them if given instructions on how to do so and some relatives that could help if my friend is unavailable.

I'm so sorry for all of the questions, I'm just making sure I'm not missing anything and I understand at least the basics. I will not be getting a bird anytime soon so I have plenty of time to learn more and think through this completely. So if anyone here has any tips or can answer even one question it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Last edited:

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
bump. ive been looking to get one too. ill be keeping an eye on this thread until someone answers :)

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
Sorry but I'm unsure what thread you're meaning? I'm still relatively new here so I'm not quite sure what you mean there.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I think she means all her threads.

I'm not an dove expert, I only have a outside pair. And they eat everything. Most sprouts, but also dried seed and my parrots pellets.
And for cage, you don't need that. I have a friend that have had several doves inside without a cage. They are not like parrots, they are more calm, don't chew on things.
They need very big cages so consider that if you want them in a cage. My advice is to keep them in a room when your are not at home.
And get two, (two females is fine) they are very social. And yes they need sunlight and D. Egg is good and contain D and a lot of B12.

csnake91

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chris
I have a ring neck dove, called Grumio. He has a 2' wide 4' tall cage, it isn't good for flying but he gets let out several hours a day to fly in the house. Grumio will play with toys made of shredded paper, he loves to fling that around. He also likes to sing to the mirror, so mirror toys are good too. He hasn't messed with bells or really anything else before, But I think that varies on the individual. As for light, he gets several hours out on the balcony a week in his cage and he loves to sunbathe. He will flatten himself against a perch or the bottom and absorbs sun. I really don't know if a bulb would work well or not, I'm sure someone else knows. Grumio used to have a basket In his cage but would never sit in it so I took it out, He likes to sleep on a perch. For food he eats a mix of seeds and zupreem pellets. I mix in grit twice a week. Some people put grit in a separate bowl and always allow access to it, and that works well too. Adding finely crushed oyster shells to the food or grit adds calcium. Fruit is generally not good for ringnecks, but dark leafy greens and sprouted seeds are good. I don't think they will use a block calcium and their beaks are not like a parrot's. I have a long school day, around seven hours, but I spend much time with the birds when I get home. Five hours is plenty of time, But I do have other birds in the room so he isn't lonely. Doves do well in pairs or alone, as long as you are willing to spend plenty of time with them it is less important if there is one or two.
some other facts about ringneck doves:
They have passed the mirror test, they can recognize themselves in the mirror.
You can harness train them so you can take them outside the house with you!
They don't have a strong bite or claws, but they do slap enemies with their wings.
They come in many colours/varieties.
They are CUTE! But I am sure you know that.:tongue2:

This is not everything you should know but I do hope I helped you with my knowledge.

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
Thank you both so much! This was really helpful.

Hadassah

Moving in
Real Name
Hadassah
I know this is an old post but if anyone sees this.... We just bought a new dove. She is already eating out of my hand, lets me pet her and perches on my hand and finger when I put my finger to her chest. My question is, I have read that it's good to let her out of her cage some during the day and I'd sure like for her to sit on my lap one day... when do I let her out first? We don't have curtains on all of our windows so do I wait until night so she won't fly into a window with light? Would she even try if she's already bonding with me? We just got her yesterday so I know I'm speaking prematurely about letting her out of her cage. Thank you so much!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Yes let her out in the evening the first times. That is what I do too.
We just got her yesterday so I know I'm speaking prematurely about letting her out of her cage.
I let mine out the day after. I don't think that is something to wait for. It's better that they get rid of some excess energy too, and flying is the best for them.
We don't have curtains on all of our windows
You must do something about that. If you don't have curtains or window-blinds, attach window decals on the windows so your dove sees it.
Like this: (the hearts, it's a DIY)