• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ringneck biting favorite person?

Jennyday

Strolling the yard
Hi all,

We've had our Zazu for about 2 years. He is about 2.5 years old now. He's a great bird.

Zazu is a biter. He lunges because we are in his "space" (which varies in size), pretty much. His lunges are gentle with me, but regularly draw blood with my husband.

He also likes to chew and pinch skin. This is much more an attention thing like if I have him on my finger but I'm not entertaining him he will bend down and pinch my skin. He does this with both of us. Again drawing blood with my husband and being gentle with me.

What's really perplexing me is that Zazu LOVES Jeff, my husband. He sings when Jeff comes home, he loves to be on his shoulder, Zazu just loves to hang out with him.

Sometimes Zazu will try to get between Jeff's head and a pillow and scrape scrape scrape like he's trying to build a burrow between Jeff's head and the pillow. I joke that he wants to build a nest inside Jeff's head so he can hang out with him all the time.

Anybody notice their ringneck is more aggressive when interacting one on one with their favored person? Or are we missing a key behavioral clue? I know the goal is no bites ever - but I can't tell when my hand is ok and my husband's has 6 bloody scabs if it means I'm doing better at reading body language or if I'm just striking it lucky. Is this a ringneck thing? Our cheek is not as difficult to read.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
I don't have a ringneck sorry.. I hope someone can help you :(

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
It really sounds to me like the bird is sometimes jealous of the relationship you and your husband have and is thinking of you as his mate and is trying to put your husband "in his place" as NOT your mate! I could be wrong, but the passive/aggressive behavior you describe is typical in two cock birds trying for the same hen.

Jennyday

Strolling the yard
I guess so.... he's just not very interested in me but VERY interested in Jeff. Zazu will flock call him (but not me) if he leaves and is overall much more content to be near Jeff. He likes me, but I'm definitely 2nd choice.