• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Riddle me this Batman...???

gayla

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gayla
Frank-n-fish is gone, vanished, disappeared, nowhere to be found. I looked everywhere. This morning he was up and eating and swimming, I did some chores around the house, and he's no where.I took the tank apart, looked in every nook & cranny, looked in the filter, behind the book case the tank was on. Emptied the water and looked in the gravel...nothing, no fish anywhere. I even looked in Pita's cage...lol I am stumped, baffled, perplexed, and sad. Anyone have a fish vanish on them before? I mean gone.

I even took the filter apart. I looked in the hood. I looked in every nook of the decorations.....he's gone I tell ya. The hood was on the tank and the top door closed. I looked all over the floor in case he jumped out, which I don't know how he did, and flipped flopped somewhere. Nothing :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes, I have. I did find it months later, behind the fish tank, shriveled up :( not sure how I missed him the first 80 times I looked!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Ditto on shawna's answer. Found my lost fish weeks later, behind the tank. I'd also looked there umpteen times. :(

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
Yep! Just recently a diamond goby disappear! We don't have a clue where that fish went. ;)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Are you sure Frank was a terrestrial fish, Gayla? Maybe the residents of Atlantia are prepping us for invasion?

No. How terrible he is missing. He has got to be somewhere close to the tank. I had a two pound Koi jump out of his tank through a two inch by six inch long opening between his hood and edge of the tank. It took me three days to find his body.

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Only time I lost a fish he was in the filter :eek: Got him out and he was okay though. One time our big oscar fish jumped out of her tank while we were at my aunts... came home literally just in time to a dried up fish. Put her in the tank and she survived - lived for several years after that incident.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Yes. I found it weeks later as well. It was on the ground, underneath the tank, and had somehow flipped itself into the crack between the carpeting and the baseboard. I must have looked there 1,000 times, but missed it :(

Buckbeak

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Poor fish!!! Wow, that is crazy, I have never lost one before. I hope I never do! :(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Poor fish!!! Wow, that is crazy, I have never lost one before. I hope I never do! :(
Betta splendens are just one of many species notorious for jumping from their bowls/tanks. The one I lost was a green swordtail which aren't one of them. No idea what gets in their minds, but I think you'd be surprised at how common losing a fish like that is!

Featherhead Lady

Sprinting down the street
I had a midas blenny that jumped out of the tank. I couldnt find him for a while but he didnt survive. I was very sad since he was such a nice friendly fish. It sucks!

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
I had a fish jump from the small container we put her in when we cleaned her home. She plopped 4 feet down onto the hard floor. She lived 6 years.

Her mate, however, did not. He always started nipping at Mildred's butt each time she'd start to give birth (mosquito fish babies are fair game for food, babies learn to hide if they're expected to survive)..she'd be bleeding so we had to separate them each time they bred. We weren't upset when he passed.

I'm sorry your fish is missing. I get upset thinking the kind of death they go through when they jump out.

Momto3boys

Real Name
Brandy
Lots!

The one I remmeber the most was the Snakehead, couldnt find the darn thing ANYWHERE. When Craig did a water change we even moved the tank and then mths later the cat walked by with something in her mouth....yup, a dried up snakehead :eek:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Yes, they can flip a long way from the tank. I am so sorry.:( If you decide on another, I can tell you how to make an easy top for the tank. It's not pretty, but it works well and light can still get into the tank. Get a piece of ceiling diffuser, white is best. You can buy it at a home improvement store like home depot.It is plastic and has little squares. Take a screwdriver or pair of scissors and cut a piece to fit the top by breaking away what you do not need. The little pieces fly everywhere, so be prepared for that or do it somewhere that it is easy to clean up. Now you can leave it this way, or you can go one step further and buy a piece of bridal veil. Take hot glue, or superglue gel, and glue the bridal veil cut to the same dimensions, over or under the 'lid'. Works great. I might even have a couple pics of one I made years ago if you need to see it.

gayla

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gayla
I'd hate to think it was me that drove him to suicide....LOL Oh by the way, still no sign....I think ALiens took him :huh:

ramoth

Walking the driveway
Real Name
sarah
I can't tell you how many fish over the years have vanished! We had some take the J-tube roller coaster into the sump pre filter floss. Found a 8 inch Niger Trigger behind the tank, out 10 in Marine Beta on the floor. The convict gobies loved going for the over flows as babies and when adults one (12 inchs) jumped found him between the table and the tank. Some we never did find

Shhh I should be working!!

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm so sorry Gayla. Run of bad luck. I'm sure you didn't drive him to any crazy ideas, but you know what? Coulda been Felix!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Yep! I am right! You can't find him because he is an alien fish from Alantis and they beamed him up to the interstellar craft after he reported about the food you fed him was inadequate; no need to try the enslave the denizens on this planet!:rofl:

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I lost a betta once out of a tank. I couldn't find any remains, but it happened after a weekend I was gone so I just assumed the filter ate him or something. Well a few months later when we moved the dresser that was across the room I found him under it. He jumped out of the tank and made it all the way across the floor.