• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Rhinolith???

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
I was fine till the vet came in then I started freaking out a little. There doing that they can with him in the back atm. Getting what's listed plus a gram stain

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't understand that placard at all. It says nothing about the procedures they are going to perform?

By doing what's listed - what do you mean?

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
They said the tests will check liver and blood for vitamins levels and everything.
Said it should take about a week for me to know how the blood work looks. She just wants me to keep showering him for the nose. She thinks it just some build up that should come free with some more showers. She tried and she cant get it out with putting him to sleep and she doesnt think that's worth it unless he seems to have a problem breathing or being bugged by it which he's not atm.
He does have a very small yeast infection but isn't really anything she's worried about just a little more acv for him and a probiotic.

He need to put on about 20 grams in her opinion but she thinks his diet sounds fine and doesn't want to do anything about weight till tests come back.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did she do a nasal flush?

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
@yasha2802
I would like to pick Ace up and hug him and tell him he's he's got a good Mom/Dad and that nothing bad is going to happen to him ever again.

The tests you should ask the vet to do are a CBC (complete blood count) a Chem Panel ( measures the chemistry in the blood) and a nasal and anal swab and gram stain (checks for bacteria or fungus.) Along with the complete physical exam - I hope the vet does - this should tell you a lot about Ace's condition and where the Dr. needs to go from there. Ace should also have xrays of his feet and wing. That's going to be pretty pricey, so if you ca't go the whole route do the CBC and Chem panel and save up for the xrays.

I'll mention it, but I expect the Dr. will do it, he should look at whatever comes out of his nostrils under the microscope.

Let us know what happens at the vet's office.
So I asked right before we checked out it is the CBC, Chem Panel and he said pretty much anything they can look for. Also got the gram stain.

So full blood and liver work up with gram stain.

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
Did she do a nasal flush?
No she tried getting it out and it wouldn't come out. He was getting way to stressed and she didn't think it was to big a deal. Told me she thinks showers should get it out. If it doesnt the only option is to put him to sleep and take it out that way but that she believes at this point that would be more harm then good. I'm just to watch his breathing and to see if he scratches at it. If he seems like its bugging home or making his breathing hard then I'm to take him up to get knocked out and have it taken out that way.

Also as for xrays she said it's not a bad idea but would have to be a later visit as he was way to stressed out today

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The liver condition is included with the Chem Panel - it is not a separate test.

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
I know I typed some of this already but it was messy while at the vets so here's a little better put together info I have ATM.

Well I agree the way the put it on the paper doesn't tell you much. I asked if it well test liver and vitamin levels they said yes. Then after reading you post I asked them if that test was the CBC and Chem Panel they said they were included in that liver profile along with a few other things it sounded like.

The vet told me to work on him with getting used to the carrier and just take him into the bathroom with the steam and it should loosen up the stuff in his nose over time. She said he doesn't need to get wet just the steam should do. She did say at this point it's not something she'd worry about unless it bugs him or starts causing problems. His nostrils are really small and she just couldn't get it out.

She said a little yeast showed up and to use ACV daily in the water for now and as well as giving him a drop of bene-bac a day. She sounded very unworried about it.

She said he weight 430g and she would like him around 450g. I talked about the diet as well as giving her a sheet I printed off with all his pellets and seeds. She said it sound like a good mix and until we get the blood work back she doesn't want any changes to his diet.

She thinks we could have some problems with pain as well but again didn't want to touch on it till after she sees the blood work. Told me the price for x rays and said they would be a good idea at a later date.

She said his feed and stump look ok and she trimmed a little of his 2 nails for me while leaving them a little long as Ace uses his front nail to hang from the cage with so we wanted him to still have it to hook on the bars with. I talked to her about him not using perches and not being able to put anything on the floor or shelf of his cage without him tiring to eat it and she didn't really have any more ideas. All she really could say was about how he adapted to still carrying toys around and climbing and hanging from the cage.

She said his wing is looking good it does still have a small spot on it. She even showed me it. She again didn't think it was bad or anything to worry about.

We were there from over a hour and she did take a lot of time to talk with us. Think I added everything above. Other then that she commented on him being a nice bird and when I said sorry for taken up so much time just told me it was fine she can tell I care a lot about him.

When she got him back from all the blood work and trying to get the stuff out off his nose you could tell he when from scared to VERY scared and stressed. His mouth was all the way open and he was breathing harder then I've ever seen. Because of that and waiting on the blood I fully understand her saying i we do the xrays she won't do them today. She also told me I did good on putting him in the carrier for a hour or 2 to get used to it before we left. I did it so hopefully the carrier wouldn't also be a stressor. It seemed to work he started eating, drinking and playing with toys in it before we left. I also didn't have him stressed from just catching him that way. You could tell he was a little worried when I moved him to the car and with the ride but very little panting and he still was walking around. When we got to the very I fully covered him to take him in (had paperwork prefilled out) sat down with him and uncovered half the cage. He walked to the front where I was closes and just stood there till we when back where I opened the cage and he still just stood there till she got him out looked him over in front of me and asked if it was ok to go in the back for his nose and blood as there was more light in there. They both said he was easy to work with. I wasn't surprised as he does just let you do what you want with him while he cry's about it after you got him in a towel.

I was also told by the 1st guy that he thinks it was wrong the 1st vet had me hold him and he could see why he stopped letting me hold him after that vets. That they would do all the holding and grabbing of him there. That they're always the bad guys so the bird and person doesn't get there bound hurt like ace and I did at the last visit with a vet. After holding him for treatments my hand are evil for any more then just a scratch.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sounds like a successful vet visit. It is really good when a vet takes time to talk to you and answer questions.

Waiting anxiously for the test results.

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
Same here and yes they were all very nice and she was very good with ace to. While talking to me she was watching him and advice me of when she believed he was getting a little to scared and she should go get everything with him done then come back to talk more while he calmed down in the carrier. I liked how she watched him while still talking to me and nicely told me (not in exact words) it would be best for your bird if we get everything down so he can calm down. It's not my 1st time seeing her I had seen her with my sister and her bird but just didn't remember her name. She also was more hi baby and pets with my sisters bird and more calm and well go slow with my baby so she seems to know how to read birds. I was happy with the price and very happy with her. Only had 1 problem she said I'd get a sheet with info on how much ACV to use everyday and for how many days I should give it to him daily. I called up and seemed that didn't get in her notice but they said they'd ask and get back to me. That's a very minor complaint.

I hope the weight being a little low is just him and isn't something bad that's going to show up. I HOPE for a clean bill of health but who doesn't right? However if the weight is low because of something bad I hope it does show in the blood work so we can try to get a good handle on it.

Thank you Hankmacaw and everyone that's been replying. I appreciate you taken the time to help me out. In about a week I'll post what I hear about the blood tests and hopefully it will be good news or at the very least something very manageable.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I will say that that vet is a keeper.
Her concern for your bird not getting to stressed out is very important.
When they are really scared they get over heated and that is bad for their heart, that infact can stop. So when she continue watching him after exam she did the right thing.

And about showers.
You can't make him love it, but you can make him accept it.
Shower him twice a week. Always be calm. After every spray get him a treat. If he doesn't take treats give him after it's done. And tell him with a happy voice what a good boy he is.
Ignore him when he's not seems to like it.
It's not something bad you are doing to him it is the opposite.
The most important thing is that you are calm and not upset. He should see this as something natural and not a punishment or something you do to him to being mean.

If you continue doing this that way he will accept it. And knowing that he get something good after can even make him enjoy it.

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
I will say that that vet is a keeper.
Her concern for your bird not getting to stressed out is very important.
When they are really scared they get over heated and that is bad for their heart, that infact can stop. So when she continue watching him after exam she did the right thing.

And about showers.
You can't make him love it, but you can make him accept it.
Shower him twice a week. Always be calm. After every spray get him a treat. If he doesn't take treats give him after it's done. And tell him with a happy voice what a good boy he is.
Ignore him when he's not seems to like it.
It's not something bad you are doing to him it is the opposite.
The most important thing is that you are calm and not upset. He should see this as something natural and not a punishment or something you do to him to being mean.

If you continue doing this that way he will accept it. And knowing that he get something good after can even make him enjoy it.
Yea really is the best vet I've seen with any animal.

When he's unhappy like he gets with the shower or vets he wont take any food item even after he back in his cage safely he holds a grudge and wont taken anything. Give him about a hour before he will even take a treat from his bowl after get gets put up. I dd just get him some baby food tho to see if that will work so far its the only team he will take as a treat when he is scared. I've only used it once when a new toy make him jump out off his cage screaming so may not even work for a shower but a little baby food seem to be a good way to get him happy. I added his carrier to the breeding door on his cage so he can crawl into it when he wants that way he'll be used to it for sitting in in the shower.
As I told the vet I've had him with us on the couch for around 2 hours and he never calmed down or took a treat. About at that time he will bite at a toy a little but just seems to stay unhappy.

Carrier is going to be a treat cage for him from now hope that well kept him calmer. I was told I don't need to get him wet so if I can get him to see the carrier as a part of his cage for treats and then move it hopefully he stays calm. You it to take him to the shower and open the door so he can pick what he wants at that point. The old cat carrier i used scared him more then the water he would run out of it into the water just to get away from it. This carrier hes already started to eat and play in before the vets and didn't want to leave it to go back in his cage when we got home. I'm going to try going slow get him used to going in the carrier then the carrier stilling in the bathroom then see if hes up for some water after that.

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
We got Ace blood test back. It was a little off but she made is sound like it isn’t too bad. He has low red blood cells and oddly shaped white blood cells. She wants to put him on some antibiotic and retest in 4-6 weeks. Small increase of sodium in the liver but nothing to worrying I guess as I don’t need to do anything about it. I'm going to be getting the antibiotic and when I do a copy of the blood work.

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
Ace finely is starting to let me pet him again. He's still not closing him eyes and enjoying it but definitely starting to forgive me.

I also left the carry open almost every day while 'm here with it pushed up to the breeding door of his cage. He's been going in it so I just now started moving it to the couch when he's in it to work on getting him used to it moving and to sitting on the couch.

20191016_122545.jpg
20191016_124924.jpg 20191016_124931.jpg

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Great update! I'm so happy for you both. ♥