• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Rhinolith???

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
So I was given my baby some loving and saw this in his nose. I'm pretty sure I need to take him to get it taken care. How long is to long a wait thought? I got scared made a appointment for Monday(happy there open so late). They could only tell me the office fee over the phone thought. Does anyone know about how much money I should have on me for this?

20190917_210227.jpg 20190917_210211.jpg 20190917_211400.jpg

Attachments

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
Here's also a video of the nose. The noises are from him being happy not the nose. He only makes them when he's really happy getting pets and starts wanting to feed me. I know you don't hear much of it in that little piece of the video but wanted to explain it.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Showers and mistings will keep this from happening. A few good sneezes while misting or showering is important to keep their nares clean.

It can be removed if it isn't something your bird can sneeze out loosening it up with a good shower.

A nasal flush will more then likely be what the Vet chooses. A cytology can be done on the flush to ensure nothing else is going on in there.

I can't give an honest cost to the charges but be prepared to spend an exam fee, maybe a fee to flush.

Hope your birdie gets some relief.

:)

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
Thank you for the quick reply.

Would a steamy bathroom help or does he also need the water on him?

Ace hates showers or getting misted so I dont do it to often. I know he should get them more by I hate making him unhappy. Really scared about the vet ride on Monday. He's a very scared bird and stopped being handlable after his last vet trip. I've read more lately about the ability for them to get scared to death so it freaks me out.

I was thinking part his problem maybe that he doesnt have a foot on that side to pick at his nose. So no real way to clean it. I may just have to make him get a bath more often somehow. I've never even seen him try bathing in a water bowl.

I know the visit is a minimum of $55. They told me that. I'm seeing a different vet I dont know just because of the day they had open so how this vet is good with him.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
A steamy bath may help and certainly will not hurt. Look into getting care credit card. Its like a charge card you pay off but no interest. Ask your vet if they accept them. My vet was ok with care credit if bill was greater than $200. They are all different.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Monday should be fine as long as he's not having trouble breathing. My tiel had a rhinolith that we left for several months (because we thought it was terminal cancer!!) and eventually his body expelled it on its own. I'm not saying that should be the norm, just that it's not an emergency.

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
A steamy bath may help and certainly will not hurt. Look into getting care credit card. Its like a charge card you pay off but no interest. Ask your vet if they accept them. My vet was ok with care credit if bill was greater than $200. They are all different.
I have 0 credit so they wont give me one sadly. I know the vet does offer it though.
I'll try a show.

Yea hes not acting off at all and his breathing sounds just fine I just saw it and got scared. Hes my little boy so I cant let him be if something is wrong.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's possible it isn't even a rhinolith but just some gunk that needs to be cleaned out.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I have 0 credit so they wont give me one sadly. I know the vet does offer it though.
I'll try a show.

Yea hes not acting off at all and his breathing sounds just fine I just saw it and got scared. Hes my little boy so I cant let him be if something is wrong.
You can cover him in a carrier so he isn't freaked out. I would take him in the bathroom and really steam it up if you can. The steam will moisten it atleast. Sometimes you have to make showers fun. Atleast bring him in the bathroom when you are in there taking your shower. Put him on the shower doors if you have them, or a shower perch. Let him see it's not bad, play fun music and make it a fun time talking to him.

I swear if anyone heard me in the shower with my two Amazon's you would surely Baker act me into the nut house. :rofl:

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
It's possible it isn't even a rhinolith but just some gunk that needs to be cleaned out.
That would be nice.

You can cover him in a carrier so he isn't freaked out. I would take him in the bathroom and really steam it up if you can. The steam will moisten it atleast. Sometimes you have to make showers fun. Atleast bring him in the bathroom when you are in there taking your shower. Put him on the shower doors if you have them, or a shower perch. Let him see it's not bad, play fun music and make it a fun time talking to him.

I swear if anyone heard me in the shower with my two Amazon's you would surely Baker act me into the nut house. :rofl:
I would like and envy you.
Ace wont let me carry him anywhere and because of his leg perching is a problem for him. I got him to start using 2 by 1s as perches and then he chewed one up and fell so now he wont use any perch just his bowls and he learned how to turn them and drop them to.

I was a kid when I got him and didn't do well with teaching him. He used to love being held and after a few vet trips to get his wing lasered(it used to bleed whenever he flap it was born with it or parents bite half of it off) he stopped letting me hold him. I can't get him out of the cage without him freaking out and yelling, breathing hard and not calming down let him sit for over a hour and he just wont still being scared. I'll been thinking of asking people on here if they had ideas that may help. He will on him own terms jump out/fall out of his cage and follow me around the living room. That also scares me tho as like I said he falls out and hits the floor but its the only way he well come out of his cage. I've been trying to get him to step out of him cage onto a shelf i have sitting in front of it but haven't had luck. He'll hang on the door for hours to get loving but doesn't want to come out more then that for them or any food even baby food that he LOVES. He knows his baby bottle and will take some of it from me when scared after I get him out but still yells like hes being killed and wont come out of the cage for it.

I'm going to scare him and try letting him get some steam to help. I used to take our cockatiels in the bathroom and know the steam helped a few of them back then.

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
3 showers later and it still looks like same. I'm starting to wonder if its possible he somehow got a piece of pellet in there. I however noticed that there's a little in the other nostril to. Hopefully I'll know for sure after seeing the vet. Thinking I may see about some more tests on him to while we're there. Something to check vitamin levels. Is there any tests you guys think I should have done? He also could use a little clip of his 1 nail(he only has 2 and only the front one is long). I'm going to see if the vet can look at his wing it hasn't been a problem in years but he also hasn't let me look at it. I'm also thinking his little foot and peg could use a looking at as you can see in the picture he holds it oddly. He's always held it odd but it seems a little more off now.
Sadly with the showering he's stopped trusting me. Every time I open his cage he goes to the back corner and stays there also wont let me pet him. I'm hoping after the vet visit he calms down a little I don't like hiim being so unhappy with me.
20190920_171828.jpg 20190920_171835.jpg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@yasha2802
I would like to pick Ace up and hug him and tell him he's he's got a good Mom/Dad and that nothing bad is going to happen to him ever again.

The tests you should ask the vet to do are a CBC (complete blood count) a Chem Panel ( measures the chemistry in the blood) and a nasal and anal swab and gram stain (checks for bacteria or fungus.) Along with the complete physical exam - I hope the vet does - this should tell you a lot about Ace's condition and where the Dr. needs to go from there. Ace should also have xrays of his feet and wing. That's going to be pretty pricey, so if you ca't go the whole route do the CBC and Chem panel and save up for the xrays.

I'll mention it, but I expect the Dr. will do it, he should look at whatever comes out of his nostrils under the microscope.

Let us know what happens at the vet's office.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
If he is older & never been to the vet it would be good to have a good exam with a blood panel.

Does he have nails? His feet looks sort of clubbed.
Oh, I see one foot is missing. Maybe an accident from the parents when he was a baby along with the wing,

Makes it harder for him to get around esp with one wing problem but they can still live a happy life with some adjustments.

Does he have some platform perches? Mine love theres & they have good feet.

I know about birds who don't like to be touched. it is harder.

Hope everything is alright at the vet.

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
@yasha2802
I would like to pick Ace up and hug him and tell him he's he's got a good Mom/Dad and that nothing bad is going to happen to him ever again.

The tests you should ask the vet to do are a CBC (complete blood count) a Chem Panel ( measures the chemistry in the blood) and a nasal and anal swab and gram stain (checks for bacteria or fungus.) Along with the complete physical exam - I hope the vet does - this should tell you a lot about Ace's condition and where the Dr. needs to go from there. Ace should also have xrays of his feet and wing. That's going to be pretty pricey, so if you ca't go the whole route do the CBC and Chem panel and save up for the xrays.

I'll mention it, but I expect the Dr. will do it, he should look at whatever comes out of his nostrils under the microscope.

Let us know what happens at the vet's office.
Thank you.
It would be nice if he still let me hug him as a baby he would sit on my desk and watch me play the pc while playing with his toys and was always up yo hugs and scratches. That stopped after 2 vet visits years ago he started seeing being held as bad. Still likes cuddling from in the cage. You would laugh if you saw me half my body in the cage giving him pets and kisses or doing the same when hes on the door. Hanging from the cage door for loving is his favorite. I really hope he stops being mad at me I get the evil eye now if I try to even give him a treat. Before now he even started taken treats from my BF now he wont taken it from me. I even tried eating some carob coated raisins with him(I've taken to eating a few with him when I give him one) and he would take it from me or eat it out of his bowl after I dropped it till I left him alone. I don't know if after the vet I should leave him be or keep going to him with food and love and see if he forgives me.

I don't know the vet we will be seeing I hope I like them. The vet my sister sees there is very nice and has turned down doing test in 1 visit because my sisters grey was acting to scared to continue, she didn't want to stress her to much. I logged onto the website and they do have a number of tests listed as do. There list has Exotic Gram Stain, Exotic PBDF(Beak & Feather te, Exotic Poloma test, Exotic Chlamydia(psittacosis/p, Exotic Avian Complete Profile, Exotic Fecal Trichrome(Giardi, Avian Wellness Exam. I'm guessing as he had some blood work as a baby with I got his wing treated and I've had him for 11 years some of these test aren't needed but that's just a guess. Sadly I don't have his old test results and that vet(he was a solo practice) is retired. Thank you for taken the time to list what I should get done and what is most portent. He may have even got rays as a young bird but I can't remember.

I'll make sure to update. I'm so scared of going with him but also can't want to get it done with.

If he is older & never been to the vet it would be good to have a good exam with a blood panel.

Does he have nails? His feet looks sort of clubbed.
Oh, I see one foot is missing. Maybe an accident from the parents when he was a baby along with the wing,

Makes it harder for him to get around esp with one wing problem but they can still live a happy life with some adjustments.

Does he have some platform perches? Mine love theres & they have good feet.

I know about birds who don't like to be touched. it is harder.

Hope everything is alright at the vet.
He has 2 nails on his 1 foot, 1 front and 1 back nail and just a peg on the other side. He was a breeders 1st grey baby and she said she found him that way to the 2nd breeder she gave him to as he was hurt and she didn't know how to care for him. That's all the 2nd breeder knew so told me she couldn't say if the parents did it as it was there 1st baby or if it was born that way. When I saw him the foot was fully healed(or never bloody) and the wing kept getting broken open till we had 2 laser treatments to make the skin heal faster that was about 10 years ago(I can't believe hes that old and I've had him for that long). Because of the wing blooding like it did I think it is more likely it was that parents attacking him then a birth defect but I'll never truly know.

Yea he has a harder time with walking or stepping up. That's part of the problem I'm having with him he can't step up and stopped liking being picked up. He can't fly at all he may as well be a dog when he falls(that's to say its a hard drop). He can hang on bars like a pro though. I'd like to think he's normally happy. He can get very moody though(makes me think he may have some pain time to time) and he's always been scared.

He has 2 by 1 I cut him for perches as well as a really thick Manzanita(?) perch and a shelf. He doesn't trust any of the perches and wont use them. He used the 2 by 1 when I 1st gave them to him but then he chewed at it till he fell now he wont step on them and doesn't even chew them. I've tried new ones, moving them and even putting toys and food past or on them with no luck. He will clime the walls or toy and hang on by 1 or both foot/leg and grab what he wants take it to a food bowl and sit on that to play with or eat what was on the perches. He even learned to untwist his crock bowls and drop them. Makes me scared he's going to fall from them and stop trusting them. O and he has a rope swing he completely ignores or hand from the top of the cage to play with the toy hanging in the middle. He used to sit on the swings as a younger bird and just stopped even though he has never been without one. I also used to use baby blankets on the bottom of the cage but he started eating them so had to stop doing that.

He can be a real handful and so hard to deal with. I try making stuff easier from him and he never accepts it or like the perches I made he does until he doesn't. I know his leg has to be sore from the bowls cutting into it most of the day but I am at a lost with how to help when he wont stand on anything I give him. I also put cardboard on the bottom of the cage and shelf it makes him now go on it or destroy it.

He doesn't normally mind me touching him normally he loves head scratches and well let me give him kisses now and then. I can also touch the good wing and his back for half a sec and he'll get mad but if I stop trying and just stay to the head he stops being mad. He won't stand on me as I think he feels to unstable and doesn't like me holding him any more.

I was just looking at older pictures of him that the breeder and I sent each other and here's one from when I got him shows you a little more of his foot and wing. I'm sure I have newer pictures to but he also hates the camera so I have less then my other pets and my folder of unsorted picture for the last few years has over 10,000 pictures. My older sorted pictures are on a external hard drive I need new cables for lol.
GEDC0988 _Mar 26 09.jpg

And for the fun of it here's a video of how he normally acts with me when hes in a good mood. He has points even normally where I can't put my hand by the cage or him unless I want to get attacked. This is his favorite place to sit and to get loves. I took the video the day I saw his nose so before he started hating me for giving him showers. IDK why the camera has so much white noise but it does and if you can hear his sounds he mades little wizzy like breathing/squicky sounds when he gets overly happy from pets. When he 1st started making the sounds I was thinking he was sick and took him to the vet to get tests. While we were there for that the vet said he could help the wing before that I was told by the breeder to just watch it and I didn't know anything could be done for it. In the middle/alittle after middle you can see him try to feed me and near the end you see him getting more bitey and starting to bite to hard. At the very end he whats to mate and that's normally when I walk away. He's always been a biter and chewer. I had/have shirts just for him and he used to chew the necks up while I held him. The breeder believed he always bite to feel more stable so I never stopped it as long as it wasn't to hard. The liking to put holes in my clothes was just accepted as part of holding him. Sorry for the dirty bars on the cage and also the camera looks like its really in his face but it for some reason defaults to zoomed all the way in. My phone/camera was well out of biting zone. If it wasn't I'm sure it would have a whole in it.

He may have a very hard to deal with personality and his disabilities make it even harder but I still call him my sweet baby boy on the days he wants to kill me and love him and much as I possibly could. The day my BF and Ace started getting along was the greatest day ever. It took over 8 years. My BF, mom and I all also have our own disabilities some of there's putting them in pain and making them bitey to so that's why I think he may all have some problems with pain. My disabilities are partly mental making it hard for people to deal with me so again can't fault him when I do the same lol. I am attracted to the hurt ones I guess people and animal. Maybe I shouldn't have got a grey with so many problems when I was so young. I didn't know how different to my smaller parrots/birds he'd be. I had very sweet birds I could just walk all over the house with. They all only seemed to care for me but were well behaved and loving to me. My lovebird the day I when to meet her I was told how she had bit everyone that came to see her and even tried killing the ladys macaw. Well she also took a good bite at me. I still took her home and she got to the point I could let her sit on my shoulder. We were hand raising cockatiels at the time I she was on my shoulder as normal when something popped into my head to try feeding her baby food. From that day on I could do anything I wanted with her but she would be bitey with everyone of my family and if I tried to walk away from her shed fly to me She had to be put down because of a tumor taken up her whole body. I also has sparrow and pigeons that were never caged and would always fly to me. The sparrow with sit on my hands and try to rip skin off while I played on the pc and the pigeon would sit on my head peeking it. Point of all that I didn't know a grey would be so different to start with and under estimated how much more so with his disabilities. Not unhappy I have him. I haven't had 1 day I didn't like having him here but if I know then what I know now I would have been able to work with him better. I wish I found him when I was a little wiser. I feel like him being so hard to work with is a lot my fault, a small portion personality, and a little portion disabilities.

I'm sorry I found myself siting here alone in the dark when I should be asleep to get up in time for the bird show writing my life story for some reason. Completely uncalled for but before I knew it I looked up and saw this mess so I'll just leave it for anyone interested in reading it.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Ace is a great bird and that is mostly due to you. There aren't many people who would have taken him on with the injuries he had.

If you have had him since he was a baby, I would pass up the tests for PBFD, Polyoma etc. since he has not been exposed. Right now the things in his nostrils and his current health status need to be addressed. CBC, Chem panel, gram stains and Xrays. And does he have constant pain.

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
Ok thank you. I know you said it last time to but I just found myself question why a xray what would we be looking for in it? Is it because of the nose or just his legs and wing? As you said money wise xrays may have hold off either way but I'm going to get all the blood any everything done in this visit hopefully. Atleast this visit I can get him help and some of them with a quote for the cost of the rest.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes the Xrays would be for his wing and his stub, just to make sure their are no changes that might give him pain or become worse.

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
We'll we're almost at the vets hes being a good clam boy for the car ride. Had him in the cage for around a hour so he wasn't scared of that part. He starting eating drinking and playing. Gave a little I dont like that sound when I picked the cage up other then that hes just been quietly watching
20190923_152344.jpg

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Just be their for him and it will be fine. Remember that the only safe thing he has with him is you.
So you must be calm and be the comfort that he needs.
Breath in, and breath out slowly, do that often. He will feel that you is calm and that will help him.

Good luck! :)