1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Reverse osmosis water for aquariums?

Discussion in 'Aqua Park' started by Kiwibird08, 2/29/16.

1. Kiwibird08

Kiwibird08 Jogging around the block

Curious, if you have RO water and want to make it suitable for an (freshwater) aquarium, what product would you need to add to it? Hoping someone on here will know. Thanks!

2. webchirp

webchirp Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Rescue Representative

Chandra
    I don't think hubby adds anything but are we talking water change or start up cycle?

3. VictoriaVague

VictoriaVague Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Shutterbugs' Best

Vikki
    I think just regular tap water. 50/50.

4. webchirp

webchirp Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Rescue Representative

Chandra
    Ah yes, we are on a well and a water softener to boot so he only uses the RO

5. Kiwibird08

It's for my long established newts tank. I'm tired of buying gallon bottles of spring water for water changes and would like to get a 5 gallon jug I can just refill at the store. The store only has RO water you can do refills with though. I will never use our tap water ever again in my tank (it's only about 5 gallons of water in it). I did once and the water clouded up (and yes, I did use the conditioner drops), it left horrendous un-cleanable hard water marks and I had to change it all out and recycle it with spring water.

I know RO water is not good for aquariums as is and needs something added to replace some of the minerals (or so I've heard).

6. Kiwibird08

Just an update, I managed to find a product: Amazon.com : Seachem Replenish 500ml (17oz) : Pet Supplies

So far Mr. Newt seems ok with me doing water changes with the RO water and "replenish" solution:) He is just one newt, lives in a 1/2 full 10 gallon (he needs land too) so we aren't talking massive water changes here and it's MUCH nicer to pay 30 cents a gallon and fill up a 5 gallon container than pay $1 a jug and have big empty gallon jugs to contend with until recycling day in our very tiny kitchen.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)