• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

<resolved> Pen ink in mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
re: <resolved> Pen ink in mouth

I am not sure the big guns are not available right at the moment and although it would be a cracked beak for one of mine I do not know about your speices if in doubt see a vet is my moto :hug8:

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary

I have to say it does look supicious. Try using a strong flashlight on one side of the beak while you are looking at the other, kind of a cheap Xray. You may be able to see what is going on or if it is a surface scratch.

gary

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol

I have to say it does look supicious. Try using a strong flashlight on one side of the beak while you are looking at the other, kind of a cheap Xray. You may be able to see what is going on or if it is a surface scratch.

gary
OK. I shined the flashlight from underneath with her mouth open and no light came through. Does this mean it is not cracked? What would cause this?

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye

OK this is just my take on what is happening here...
All of the light beak matter is "flaking" off..you can literally peal it off...and I think that is what he has been trying to do and could have "pushed" that skin back causing what you are seeing there....
Has he gone through a rough molt in the last year?
Dietary: Poor feather condition / long molts and flaky beaks suggests the bird's diet is deficient in the limiting amino acid methionine. Once nutrition has been improved, it may take 9 to 12 months for new feathering and a new beak to grow.
  • High levels of methionine can be found in sesame seeds, Brazil nuts, fish, meats, and some other plant seeds. Most fruits and vegetables contain very little of it; however, some have significant amounts, such as spinach, potatoes and boiled corn. Most legumes, though high in protein, are also low in methionine.
  • Taken from:
http://www.avianweb.com/beakdeformities.html
:hug8:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia

no hes side to side it is not cracked all the way if cracked

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary

If you shine from the side you can see if there is a fracture line or possible how deep the scratch or growth line is. don't expect light to come out. From the location of the line the bird would have to almost fly into something to cause a fracture.

gary

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol

OK this is just my take on what is happening here...
All of the light beak matter is "flaking" off..you can literally peal it off...and I think that is what he has been trying to do and could have "pushed" that skin back causing what you are seeing there....
Has he gone through a rough molt in the last year?

Dietary: Poor feather condition / long molts and flaky beaks suggests the bird's diet is deficient in the limiting amino acid methionine. Once nutrition has been improved, it may take 9 to 12 months for new feathering and a new beak to grow.
  • High levels of methionine can be found in sesame seeds, Brazil nuts, fish, meats, and some other plant seeds. Most fruits and vegetables contain very little of it; however, some have significant amounts, such as spinach, potatoes and boiled corn. Most legumes, though high in protein, are also low in methionine.
  • Taken from:
Beak Problems / Deformities: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment Options as well as Prevention

I have only had her for about a month. She is only 8 months old. She has been on a very healthy diet and eats well. Plenty of good veggies, beans, roudybush, seeds and nuts for treats only. Do you think I should take her to the vet Betty?

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye

That is up to you...
You might want to have her checked out if you haven't and remember....it take TIME when birds are coming to new homes/new foods/etc to show up in their looks....that article was saying almost a year to get back to normal....

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol

If you shine from the side you can see if there is a fracture line or possible how deep the scratch or growth line is. don't expect light to come out. From the location of the line the bird would have to almost fly into something to cause a fracture.

gary
OK. I looked from the side with the flashlight there is what looks like a crack but it is not deep. I can't tell if maybe it could be just cuticle like stuff. It looks like a shallow crack is this cause for a vet visit?

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye

Haven't read back yet...is she eating?????

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary

I have to agree with Betty about the beak flaking or growth line. Watch to see that she is eating and drinking.

gary

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia

thanks Gary and Billy Faye:hug8:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye

To me, with a "crack" up there, her beak would be sore and she wouldn't be using it to eat right now...I have had birds hit their beaks really hard, no cracks, but be sore and they NOT eat for about 24 hours and then start to eat slowly at the wet food first...:hug8:

TITANIS

OK. I looked from the side with the flashlight there is what looks like a crack but it is not deep. I can't tell if maybe it could be just cuticle like stuff. It looks like a shallow crack is this cause for a vet visit?
If it's a shallow crack and it appears only on one side I would have to agree with the others that it's not a result of some injury. It could just be one of those lines that appear from time to time on may larger beaks. However, if you notice even the slightest abnormality in her behavior, definitely take her to the vet.

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol

ok. well she is eating and
chewing fine. I will watch her closely. What should I look for and what would the vet do for this if it was a crack? Is this something that will just heal or if it is cracked are we in big trouble? I love this bird and Im so worried. She is super super super sweet. I toweled her because she was a little afraid of the big flashlight and I had her on her back and when I let the towel go she just lied there and was loving the scritches I was giving her..

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye

Yes, she is eating and chewing like a buzz saw just like normal.
Then I would say it is NOT cracked but skin pushed back and you will see this from time to time...:hug8:

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol

I will continue to watch her closely and in all the worry I forgot to say THANK YOU!:hug8::hug8::hug8:Geesh! All this from her getting a little ink in her mouth. :rolleyes:

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol

BTW, she had a complete vet check and bloodwork done about a month ago when I first got her and all was well.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary

It sounds like your bird is doing fine. If you did go to the vet, more than likely the vet would put the bird on soft foods for a time and possibly suggest you give some extra calcium and Vitamin A.

gary

Status
Not open for further replies.