• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

<resolved> Help! Its 5am and my cockatiel broke a blood feather during a night fright!

Status
Not open for further replies.

J*M*L

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Julie
Ok, I stopped the bleeding with cornstarch. I've pulled feathers before but I really couldn't see what to pull this time. Vet doesn't open for 2 hours. Is she going to be ok? It looked pretty bad. Oh and to make matters worse, I got peroxide in her eye trying to clean the wound. She seems happy now, preening and grinding her beak. AHHHHH is anyone out there? Is there anything else I can do?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
re: <resolved> Help! Its 5am and my cockatiel broke a blood feather during a night fright!

did you flush her eye carefully and the blood feather it can wait if not bleeding:hug8:until you can check with the vet

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
re: <resolved> Help! Its 5am and my cockatiel broke a blood feather during a night fright!

As long as the bleeding is stopped she should be alright until you get her to the vet.

One of the things that is a MUST in any first aid kit is a vial of Super Clot.

Synergy Labs Super Clot 0.75oz

Ginger

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie

Yes, with water. I didn't think Clear Eyes would be good for it. She can open her eye now and it's not red anymore.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne

I dont like the idea of using anything other than corn starch to stop bleeding as the other stuff can burn..however, as long asyou have her eye flushed and she seems ok, she should be fine until she gets to t he vet..please keep us posted and dont use peroxide around your birds.

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie

I just doesn't look like I can pull a feather. It was bleeding at the wrist joint.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia

thanks for the update yes water was good I would check that eye out with the vet or at least call to see what they think:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger

Super Clot does not burn. This is not like stypic power. It is specially formulated to stop the bleeding immediately. And you have excellent control on where you apply it.

Fast-acting gel to stop bleeding; disinfects, too. More convenient and sanitary than powders, and less expensive! New easy-to-use syringe applicator.

We recommend this product over anything else!!! It doesn't sting or clump up like Kwik Stop

Ginger

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie

You know what? I was reading so fast I thought the first aid directions said clean wound with peroxide. I just looked again, it says betadine.

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie

Thanks everyone.:)

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat

Good morning, glad you have this under control. I dont think peroxide is the best thing to use, hopefully someone will be along to clarify that. Betadine would be good. Cornstarch or Cayenne Pepper are both the best natural approaches to stop bleeding. I would probably call your vet anyway and just let them know about her eye.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne

oh that is good to know Ginger about Superclot ill have to get some then...please keep us posted about your baby.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye

I have had a LOT of broken feathers over the years and have never felt the need to "clean" the area...getting the bleeding to stop and pulling the feather if needed is important...but I have never had an infection at a feather follicle.....:hug8:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary

Good Morning, look like all is under control. Like Betty mentioned you don't need to clean the area. By the way Peroxide is Old School and should not be used to clean wounds.

gary

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie

Couldn't get her in til 3:15 and only with a technician. So we shall see.....

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie

:hug5: I take it there was no more bleeding afterward. That's good. Please let us know how the vet visit turns out.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam

Let us know how it goes!

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie

The technician couldn't find where the injury was, mainly because I'd put so much corn starch on her wing. The vet was nice enough to come and look even though I didn't have an appointment with him. The wound started bleeding again before he came in and he found the feather. It was bleeding at the root. Her skin was a little scraped up, too. He gave me some Lafeber's Powdered Vitamins to put in moist food in the mornings to help her heal. And her eye is fine, as well. Dolce was very well behaved during her visit, even her vet was impressed! :dancing:
Thank you, everyone, for your advice and support!:)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia

thanks for the update I am glad everything went well :hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

So glad that all is well:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.