• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Research

gabe_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gabriel
Hi everyone! So, right now i’m just trying to research Eclectus and Amazons because I hope that in a few years when I settle down I will be able to own one of these beautiful birds. I am a junior at the moment, with no intentions of getting one just yet since I don’t have the time these birds require. I would love to have a female eclectus, but I have been reading about their hormonal behavior. I know they aren’t that cuddly but I hope to be able to visit the breeder from its young age and get it used to me holding it and giving it rubs and such so it doesn’t grow up to be grumpy. I would love to hear more about you guys’ experience because although I love burds that cuddle I don’t think I want one thats on me 24/7 (of course if the bird wants to I will let it). How do you deal with the behavior? And if/when I do have a significant other and children how will I be able to socialize it so it doesn’t have to be aggressive or rehomed? I’m volunteering at a parrot rescue currently so i’m learning about their care but I really wouldn’t want to give mine up. I know how loud they are (I usually clean bowls next to a female who loves to make a horrifying shrill scream, but it’s definitely something I can deal with). Really anything helps so please feel free to comment! Thanks :)

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
That's a pretty awesome goal to have! :) Personally I haven't owned one but I know it takes a lot of responsibility which I am sure you have been learning. One thing you have to ask yourself is, you can handle it while volunteering at the rescue, but can you handle it every single day for 40+ years? Sadly most people think they can but end up giving up. Not saying that would happen to you, but you must consider these things.

This is just hearsay, but I have noticed Amazons can get pretty aggressive around people, if its not their "chosen one". So that would be something I would look into. Hopefully someone with more experience will come to the thread.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I would let a bird pick you when the time comes for you to adopt a bird. Getting a baby Will not guarante the adult Will love you. The bird might choose a new favorite person because he or she sees you as a parent and is now looking for a sexual mate. So if you have the opportunity the let the bird pick you, I would defiantly do that.

gabe_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gabriel
That's a pretty awesome goal to have! :) Personally I haven't owned one but I know it takes a lot of responsibility which I am sure you have been learning. One thing you have to ask yourself is, you can handle it while volunteering at the rescue, but can you handle it every single day for 40+ years? Sadly most people think they can but end up giving up. Not saying that would happen to you, but you must consider these things.

This is just hearsay, but I have noticed Amazons can get pretty aggressive around people, if its not their "chosen one". So that would be something I would look into. Hopefully someone with more experience will come to the thread.
Yeah, I know it's quite a bit of work haha. I really admire the owner of the rescue for the amount of work she has to do, and I see that she takes good care of the eclectus (of course she makes it look easy) but someday I hope to own a larger parrot because they really are amazing animals. I also like that Eclectus aren't a super long-lived bird like cockatoos or greys, but if I have the opportunity to find an adult female that likes me I would adopt her. I really don't care that much about the type, as long as the bird likes me and it fits into my lifestyle, I will love it no matter what :) I still have a long way to go though, so wish me luck with my new cockatiel :)

gabe_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gabriel
I would let a bird pick you when the time comes for you to adopt a bird. Getting a baby Will not guarante the adult Will love you. The bird might choose a new favorite person because he or she sees you as a parent and is now looking for a sexual mate. So if you have the opportunity the let the bird pick you, I would defiantly do that.
That's a great suggestion. If I have the opportunity to meet (really any) large parrot that likes me I will consider adopting it (not just yet but in the future). I would love to have a female eclectus, but if I don't have the opportunity then i'm alright with it. Thanks for the tip and wish me luck with my new cockatiel :) I have been doing research since last October!

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thats so good you are doing research and volunteering. I wished i could've volunteered.

I have a male eckie. I did all the research beforehand and thought i was prepared. I was not! We have dealt with it well....
everyone is happy in the house but it has not always been like this. Im also preparing there will most definitely be more challenges to come.

We also wanted to get a female. They're a little bit more moodier and tend to want to nest ect from what ive seen from my friends birds. Ive had smaller parrots all my life and it still didnt prepare me with all the research for what was to come. I have now decided that after the work required for the male I wont be getting a female. Im not afraid of double the work load. Im just afraid of the additional behaviours that can come with females from what ive seen. My boy is also fiercely independent however needs a lot of attention. I don't want for him to become unhappy if she ended up a bossy boots or they didnt like each other.

I decided to get ours before we had kids. I wanted to toilet, harness and establish some firm ground rules before most of my attention was taken up kids. I also wanted to train hubby regarding daily care and beung aware of risks etc. He is out of cage whenever we are home doing his own thing. Comes for walks in harness with the goal he will be dropping kids off and picking them up with me. He comes on holidays with us. Goes on hikes. Can be in harness now up to 7hrs. Reasonably toilet trained. He also understands the word 'no' and will stop what hes doing if caught early enough. He has learnt no kitchen access while cooking. He talks non stop. Like serious verbal diarrhoea 95% of the time. It always has to be just that little bit louder than whatever is happening around him. From the time he is awake to time he goes to bed. If im asleep during the day due to nightshift he will be quiet will i sleep and play in his cage. As soon as im awake hes in double mood getting all the noises out.

All of the above is just bird stuff and what you give in is what you get out of them. What i wasnt prepared for was spending time on freash daily meal prep and for toe tapping to still happen. I kept a diary for 3 months religiously to figure out what he could and couldnt eat. It was so bad at some points he was slepping on my bedside table and i would rubbing his foot at night to calm him down. At one stage the thought he might try and chew his foot off crossed my mind as he would bite his on foot in annoyance. AV visits and various meds did nothing but stress him out. It turned out that he could eat everything only the quantaties had to change, how often given and the time of day it was being fed.

We also went through some behaviour issues. Screaming, biting and guarding cage. Broke my heart as i thought i lost my little green snuggle pot. But with help from this forum and research my boy is back. Sweet and settled. The dragon still appears occasionally but never for long.

The best things about my boy is that he is actually really easy going when hes with the whole family. Hes funny and playful and does try hard to make you happy. He loves making us laugh. He loves each of us but in slightly differently way. When we have kids i know he will accept them with no problems. Not one jealous bone in his body. For me i know 100% I got tge right type of parrot for my family. I know i can give him the 50 years of care he will need. Additionally we have the finaces for all current and potential vet visits. When things go wrong its not cheap. Paid more in 1 month of vet visit then to replace the bird twice. Its a huge but very rewarding commitment.

I wish you all the best. If you need specific information let me know. A few of my friends have female eckies and do really well so can ask them stuff too.

gabe_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gabriel
Update: I went back to volunteer today and i got to spend some time with a female eclectus named Heidi. She is such a sweet bird and I understood some of her behavior. She is around 9 years old so she is past the bad teenage years, and she came to me and was sweet, obviously i can’t take her and also she is sponsored by someone but i am glad to share some experience with her to help me learn more about them! I also saw what she’s fed and how she acts with different people, but overall shes gentle, pretty, and very friendly. I would love to know more about you guys’ females!