• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rescuing a puppy today. Advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendryx

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridie
It's getting late,must be almost 8 30 pm where John is..did he say how far he had to go to get this little guy??

PerfectlyParrot

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
I'm sure he will update us just as soon as he can, sometimes these things turn out to be a very long process! Will be hoping and praying tonight that it has a happy ending.

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
This morning he said he was leaving around nine and would get there a little before noon after completing a couple of errands. So I'm guessing maybe two hours or so?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
:heart:
If this was a bird I would know what to do but this is my first dog rescue and I am out of my element.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated. :)
Dogs are awesome! If you can handle TOO TOO's you can handle one puppy. House breaking is the main chore, along with plenty of chew toys. You will do fine. If there is one thing in life you have not experienced the companionship of a dog, DO IT! There are no regrets with Man's best Friend. You will see total love, trust and a Human to animal bond that words cannot describe. :heart: Post pics JL when you get him home. :highfive:

Allessa

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
John ive been on both sights looking for an update!! I hope it all went okay :(

Hendryx

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridie
I bet he stopped for cheeseburgers! lol..(you better not Jl) just a joke:p..hope all is well,I will come check this thread first thing in the morning unless I hear from you in the next hour or so..:hug8:

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
I hope all went well for you and the puppy tonight. I will make sure to keep you both in my prayers. I will be checking the first chance I get tomorrow if you dont post within the next few minutes.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Relax everybody and breathe. I HAVE THE DOG!!! :hug8:

So I went and knocked on the upstairs tenants door and asked them if the dog was still downstairs. They said "what dog". "Didn't you hear him barking". "We have not heard any barking??" "Well I have it on good information that there's a puppy downstairs and I would like to see for myself if he is there"

The lady opened the back door and I went down. Opened the suite door and there sat the cutest little tan colored pitbull puppy. He just sat there, cocked his head sideways as if to say "who are you?" I would say he is no more than about 12-15 weeks old.

He was not starving that's for sure. I found a few little pieces of the 20 pound bag of food that was in the room and only a little bit of the food that was left. He ate 20 pounds of food in 4 days. There was shredded couch cushion everywhere. He obviously found the garbage can too. Did I mention the piles of poop in strategic locations? :D Boy did it stink in there!! I offered him some water and he drank a little bit was not really thirsty. He must have been drinking from the toilet. Yes it was nice and clean. I checked.

He is very healthy looking. Nice shiny coat. Very short hair. No sign of fleas. Full of energy and not a mean bone in his body. I knelt down and he jumped up on me and started licking my face!!! :D

I'm in love with him already. Dam!!!

I put him in the jeep and he curled up on the passenger seat and went to sleep. :)

I took him to a dog lover friend of mine who has a 16 year old Golden Retriever for the night. We let them out into the back yard and they started to race around the yard. Darrell said old Rox hasn't had that much pep and excitement in a long time. They had great fun for about 1/2 hour. He went into Rox's dog house and layed down and went to sleep again. Rox just layed down in front of the door and just watched him. :hug8:

Whoever Chuk got him from did a good job with him until Chuk got him.

We are not going to take him to a rescue until we have exhausted finding him a good home first. The feelers are out there already.

All I need now is a name for him!!

I am very happy the way this all turned out. It could have been so much worse.

In my rush to get over there I forgot to bring my camera so sorry I don't have a pic. I will get one when I go over there to see him tomorrow. :)

All you guys have been so supportive. It feels great. Thank you all. :hug8:

Hendryx

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridie
OMG! Thank god...

Hendryx

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridie
I would name him something like chance or lucky..he is very lucky to have found you..
we need pics when you have time..

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Gosh, I just finished reading this thread. You are the big hero today, John! I'm glad I was able to see the happy ending, and not have to wait in suspense.
Would love to see a picture. I still harbour a fear and prejudice of pitbulls since my first pug was killed by one in his own yard, but realize I can't peg the whole breed for what happend to my Job. :*(

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Awh that's wonderful news!!!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
:laughing12: What a happy ending to a long day for you. I am so relieved to read that he is happy and healthy.

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
:dance5: I'm so glad it all worked out and the pup is in good shape. Shouldn't be too hard to find a loving home for him. Another good deed to chalk up on you list of many. :hug8:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
That's wonderful news!!! Great job John!! :dance4::dance4::dance4:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki

So I went and knocked on the upstairs tenants door and asked them if the dog was still downstairs. They said "what dog". "Didn't you hear him barking". "We have not heard any barking??" "Well I have it on good information that there's a puppy downstairs and I would like to see for myself if he is there"

The lady opened the back door and I went down. Opened the suite door and there sat the cutest little tan colored pitbull puppy. He just sat there, cocked his head sideways as if to say "who are you?" I would say he is no more than about 12-15 weeks old.

He was not starving that's for sure. I found a few little pieces of the 20 pound bag of food that was in the room and only a little bit of the food that was left. He ate 20 pounds of food in 4 days. There was shredded couch cushion everywhere. He obviously found the garbage can too. Did I mention the piles of poop in strategic locations? :D Boy did it stink in there!! I offered him some water and he drank a little bit was not really thirsty. He must have been drinking from the toilet. Yes it was nice and clean. I checked.

He is very healthy looking. Nice shiny coat. Very short hair. No sign of fleas. Full of energy and not a mean bone in his body. I knelt down and he jumped up on me and started licking my face!!! :D

I put him in the jeep and he curled up on the passenger seat and went to sleep. :)

I took him to a dog lover friend of mine who has a 16 year old Golden Retriever for the night. We let them out into the back yard and they started to race around the yard. Darrell said old Rox hasn't had that much pep and excitement in a long time. They had great fun for about 1/2 hour. He went into Rox's dog house and layed down and went to sleep again. Rox just layed down in front of the door and just watched him. :hug8:

We are not going to take him to a rescue until we have exhausted finding him a good home first. The feelers are out there already.

In my rush to get over there I forgot to bring my camera so sorry I don't have a pic. I will get one when I go over there to see him tomorrow. :)

Oh John, so so so excellent!!!!! I am so happy!!!!:heart::heart: Pitties are such fabulous dogs, what a little trooper head!! I'm glad your friend is able to let him stay there. If you want, you can list him on Petfinder, or just do word of mouth. I have done dog rescue for years, so please let me know if I can help.... This is so great. Ok, cool, I'm breathing now:o:

Last edited:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki

Oh yeah, I would name him MacGyver.....he sounds extremely resourceful:)

Hendryx

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridie
I love MacGyver! great name!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.