• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rescued 'tiels won't come out of cage

Dorian&Darcy

Moving in
Hi all,

I have two beautiful bonded male cockatiels that I rescued at about 1 year old (so the avian rescue place estimated). They seem perfectly happy inside their cage. They chew on paper, play with bells, munch on millet, groom themselves and each other, play the game of who can sing louder than my music, squabble over the best perch at night, and shove each other when there is a treat to be had. They seem to be in great physical health and they have come a long way since I first got them ~6 months ago. When I am home (most mornings and evenings), I spend almost all of my time with them, either watching TV, giving them pellets by hand (which, apparently, taste way better than pellets from a dish), or just talking to them.

Hard as I try, I cannot get them to willingly spend time out of the cage. On a rare occasion, one of them will walk down a rope perch to get some millet that I tie to a playground perch about three feet out of the cage, but then he walks right back into the cage. The other one wouldn't come out of the cage if you paid him a full bag of millet. I force them out of the cage at least once every other day, and they have their perches around my apartment where they seem to feel comfortable for a time (I know that many think it bad to stick my hand in the cage, but there seems to be quite a bit of debate on this). But they would never go to those perches willingly.

I've been told to entice them out with treats. But the only treats that they really love are popcorn and millet, and neither of them seem to be tasty enough to draw them out of the cage. Trust me when I say that I've tried a ton of different treats. I've never seen a bird that doesn't like (shelled) sunflower seeds until I met these two. No idea what their history is before I had them, but I think it was an illegal breeding ring and they were strictly cage birds.

Any suggestions?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
2 questions; how long have they been in your home? how much rest (dark time) are they getting?

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
I force them out of the cage at least once every other day, and they have their perches around my apartment where they seem to feel comfortable for a time (I know that many think it bad to stick my hand in the cage, but there seems to be quite a bit of debate on this). But they would never go to those perches willingly.
I'm not going to judge your decisions so far but I do have to wonder if being forced to come out of their cage all the time has led to negative associations with the outside world? For example maybe their feelings of stress and anxiety from the "removal" process are combining with their nervousness outside of the cage and making them feel like there's absolutely nothing good about coming out of their cage at all. I'm assuming they're also clipped? Otherwise they'd probably just try to go back to their cage once you've gotten them out?

Dorian&Darcy

Moving in
Thanks for the responses! As for dark time, they are getting about 8-9 hours of dark time, and they generally sleep during the day. When I got them, I tried to time things according to their behavior at night and in the morning (having not known what cycle they were on before I got them). They have been in my home for about 6 months.

Regarding whether or not I should force them to come out of the cage, you can fully judge my decisions as much as you want. I really don't want to put my hand in the cage, because I do want them to have a "safe space." However, having having done so for the past several months...I will say that they have become more competent flyers outside of the cage and they have become more adventurous inside the cage. I will often carry them (I try to simulate flying) into another room, and I am very happy when they decide to fly back to the cage. I want their cage to be their home, but I also want them to know that they can be in the rest of my apartment.

Oh, I forgot to say that they are not clipped. I got mixed reviews about this, and it hasn't seemed necessary.

Dorian&Darcy

Moving in
Also, whenever I do force them out of the cage, I try my hardest to provide a positive association by giving them millet. My vacuum cleaner has suffered.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Tiels need 10 to 12 hours of sleep time. can you open their door and let them make their own choice to whether they want to come out? make it positive experience when they come out on their own. because they were locked up in cage all the time, that is habit. but they have to be willing to break the habit themselves. sit just outside of the cage with treats every time. show them the treats and let them come out to you.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Thank you for rescuing them! I agree with @rocky'smom ; more sleep! Happy to hear they are not clipped. Also, I would not "force" them out of their cage. Leave the door open when you are able to supervise their time out. Let them come out on their own. Add some of their favorite toy items on their playground - the shreddables - paper, finger traps, balsa, vine items, as well as some treats. They do sound very bonded and happy. Give them more time to appreciate and learn about their "freedom" from being cage bound. Would love to see pics!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Can you give us a picture of their cage by any chance???

Sometimes, birds don't like coming out of their cage because of the way the doors are... so it helps to invest in a cage of a different type which would make coming out more appealing.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Forcing them out of the cage won;t teach them to want to come out of the cage.
You can put a perch on the door & leave it open. Put perches outside the cage so they can get to them. Maybe even hang a temporary feed cup on the outside of the cage to entice them. They have to come out when they feel comfortable.

Suppose you did not want someone hugging you but they did it anyway. If they gave you a gift afterward would you learn to want them to hug you? Hhmmmm maybe some people might but the act of forcing instills fear & fear breaks down any trust that was built.

Like hitting a kid & then giving them a cookie....what does that really teach????

I don;t know those examples stink but maybe you might get the idea.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I also agree with what others have said here. Maybe if you make it very easy for them to come out of their cage with perches and playstands right next to the cage, kind of like they are an extension of the cage, then maybe they will eventually come out on their own. You can put food and water cups right outside of their cage, and entice them with millet that they only get outside of the cage. I think forcing them is just making them more fearful to come out. I also think they need more sleep.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I also second what everyone else has said! I haven't had cockatiels, but I do have a budgie who was pretty much the same way as your two guys when I first got him.

Make sure there are perches outside of the cage that can be easily accessed. Entice them with tasty treats. Put some of their favorite toy parts out there. Leave their door open whenever you can. Even if they just perch in the doorway, it'd be a big step forward!

Also, you're gonna want your cockatiels to get between 10 and 12 hours of sleep. I make sure my parakeet gets at least 11 hours most nights, Although occasionally I'll let him stay up late and sleep in. If they don't get the proper amount of sleep, it can lead to behavioral issues.

Dorian&Darcy

Moving in
Ok, so it sounds like the most common suggestions are:

1. Don't force them out of the cage, let them come out on their own.
2. Ensure that they can easily get out of the cage
3. Put favorite toys and treats outside of the cage
4. Make sure that they get 10-12 hours of sleep

If anyone is still viewing this post, I wonder if someone could tell me what constitutes bird "sleep." I understand the need to have birds on the proper light / dark cycle for appropriate circadian rhythm, yet they seem to be sleep during midday as well as the night. Eyes are closed, heads are tucked into they backs, etc. They have a definite "dark time" sleep spot, whereas they seem to sleep anywhere they want to during the light hours.

If you are interested, the cage is this one: Amazon.com : Prevue Hendryx Triple Roof Cockatiel Cage, Blue and White : Medium Parakeet Cage : Pet Supplies The position of the cage door kinda sucks, but I've put a perch inside and outside of the cage to help them. They seem to do fine with it...though I wouldn't ever recommend this cage to anyone again. I think they were going for aesthetics and not functionality. The triangle and dome roof don't do anyone any good.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Ten to twelve hours of "sleep" actually means darkness. I don't think they necessarily sleep the entire time. I would often see my tiel go to sleep in one spot and he'd be in another in the morning. So at some point he moved during the night. But their naps during the day don't count as part of the 10-12 hours. I would keep encouraging them to come out. Try putting a perch just outside the door and hang a favorite treat or toy. You can also try seeing if they will step up on a perch and come out for you. But I wouldn't grab them.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
If anyone is still viewing this post, I wonder if someone could tell me what constitutes bird "sleep." I understand the need to have birds on the proper light / dark cycle for appropriate circadian rhythm, yet they seem to be sleep during midday as well as the night. Eyes are closed, heads are tucked into they backs, etc. They have a definite "dark time" sleep spot, whereas they seem to sleep anywhere they want to during the light hours.
When people say "sleep" when referring to birds, typically it just means dark time. Birds are very light sleepers, so covering them at night allows them to get sleep without disruption. It isn't unusual for birds to nap during the day, but they need to have the full 10-12 hours to have the opportunity to get as much sleep as they need. That doesn't mean they will sleep the entire time, but it allows them to, if they want.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm thinking it would be a good idea if you could get them a different cage at some point. That one is too small for two birds, and as you said, the door makes it very hard for them to come out on their own. Also, in addition to the night sleep being 12 hours of darkness, (a small night light is okay) the sleep should be in a fairly quiet, undisturbed room. That means no TV, etc. right near them.

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
I would definitely get a different cage. If they're cage bound you really want to have a roomy one. Try to find one with a large swing-out door that you can mount a perch and treat cup to :)

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
JMHO, that cage is way too small for 2 birds cockatiel size. birds like doors that open outwards like a porch. I can take a picture of what I am talking about if you need one..

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I would definitely get a different cage. If they're cage bound you definitely want to have a roomy one. Try to find one with a large swing-out door that you can mount a perch and treat cup to :)
I'm thinking it would be a good idea if you could get them a different cage at some point. That one is too small for two birds, and as you said, the door makes it very hard for them to come out on their own. Also, in addition to the night sleep being 12 hours of darkness, (a small night light is okay) the sleep should be in a fairly quiet, undisturbed room. That means no TV, etc. right near them.
I second that! I'd recommend the Prevue flight cage, if you can afford it: Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Wrought Iron Flight Cage with Stand F040 Black Bird Cage, 31-Inch by 20-1/2-Inch by 53-Inch : Birdcages : Pet Supplies

That's the cage I have my budgie in. Right now it's dived in half with a false bottom I made after his recent injuries, but he loves it! There's so much room to flap and climb and perch and play! He's been much happier since I got him that cage. In any case, getting a larger cage is a good idea, especially so if they stay in their cage most of the time.