• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rescued little house sparrow

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
sorry no pictures, I had to get bird food today and as I walk everywhere I go at least one way. I walked up to Petco, Target and Cub foods, plus $tree for a couple of items. on the sidewalk I noticed all this green anti-erosion fabric/ mesh along the curbs. it was put down to keep the "grass"/ mostly weed seeds from being washed away. this stuff is nasty to untangle. just ahead of me I see a little house sparrow entangled in this mesh, OH SHOOT, poor little guy is trying to fly away. hang on little one, I'm coming. I get to him and he is panting worse then overheated dog and going into shock. because of my hips I can't just bend over a scoop him up. I sat down on my fanny and tried to untangle him. he biting the devil out of my hands. I finally got a hand wrapped around his little body enough to cease the biting. I started to free his feet from about 6 tight wraps around each foot. thank god I had my pocket knife with me. the last big wrap was around both legs, with a little gap for the knife tip to slices thru that webbing. he has this cr@p tangled around his little body and wings. slowly I was able to free his body. finally he was free from it. I had bottle of water and poured a little bit in to my palm. he sat there in palm for the longest time. I waited while he got his wits about himself. took a tiny drink and flew off. I had heck of a time getting to my feet, he is flying and taking care of his life.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Good for you and him whether he realized it or not. He gets to live the rest of his hopefully much longer life thanks to you.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Your an angel. That plastic stuff is a killer.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Awwwww, really sweet story. Proves there are good people on this planet

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Wonderful!!! That plastic stuff really kills everything from sparrows and small snakes to baby foxes and porcupettes (the name for an infant porcupine).

I'm glad this guy was saved!!! I had a fledging sparrow with a concussion a few days ago, they really are quite sweet birds:)