• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rescued Conure

Obsessi0n

Checking out the neighborhood

Meet Mango, what I believe is a Jenday Conure. He was rescued and brought to me for care. According to the person who brought him to me, he was pretty abused and this lil guy is very very aggressive.

Any time I try to reach into his cage to change his water, he literally attacks my hand and tries to take off a finger. If I sit next to the cage to talk to him softly, he charges the bars and fluffs up doing some sort of bob and weave 'dance'. I've also noticed that he rubs himself against the papers used on the bottom of his cage and the sides of the cage's tray. I'm scared to even try to pull him out to clip his wings.

I do have some bird experience with cockatiels but never with a conure.

The poor guy is so mistrusting, he screeched at me for 30 minutes straight when I took his favorite toy out of the cage, which was a broken swing, to fix.

I've read a few forum posts and some websites but would like some more direct advice. Please help :( I know these birds are typically lovable and tame, I don't want him living in fear anymore now that he's in a safe place.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I don't feel it's necessary to clip his wings unless there's some health issue?

Might be a good idea to try and get him a new cage, though... and try and set the cage up so he feels secure in it and has a way to hide. Get him natural wood perches (no sand perches or dowels!) and some new toys! (no mirrors!) If the cage has food doors, you wont have to reach in the cage to get the dishes out.

Any time you walk by the cage, try to do so quietly and slowly. Perhaps announce your presence in a soothing manner and when you walk by, drop a treat inside a dish in the cage. Don't stay and wait for him to eat it, just keep on going!

If he doesn't like you sitting near the cage, then don't do that!

Please, check out this thread, especially Barbara Heidenreich's video on working with rescued and rehomed parrots!
Free Training Resources | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's beautiful. Thanks for helping him.

Obsessi0n

Checking out the neighborhood
I really appreciate the feedback. I took the mirror out of his cage and I'm watching some of those videos today. I will get a new cage soon and update all his toys.

This morning, we started off pretty good. I had opened his cage for the first time today so that he can explore when he's ready. He took a treat out of my hand, sat on the opening of the cage eating it then threw it on the floor for me to pick back up, took it no problem. He was a happy bird.

Until my daughter sat down in front of me for me to brush her hair. I've noticed he'll tolerate her being around as long as she leaves him alone, no problem. She understands. However, I've learned the hard way this morning I don't think he likes brushes. She sat down in front of me (his cage is in my room so he can get used to me, I work from home and my 'office' is set up in my bedroom) and I started to brush her hair. He did NOT like that one bit, flew out of the cage at me then right back to his own cage. So, I closed the door and put his sheet back over him so he can calm down.

Last edited:

Hope

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hope
That's very sweet of you to help him. He's beautiful. I know how hard it is. Our rescue CAG doesn't trust anyone either. When he bites, he draws blood. It just takes patience and time. And lots of love. ❤.

Lesley Yeung

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lesley
Bird is totally tame and unafraid. But putting food in his food bowl, changing his water, toys, perches, even giving him a treat is an effort best approached with gloves on.

I don't know why, but it seems Bird can't distinguish the difference or perceive the logic behind giving and taking. Their brains are not the same as ours. For example, even though Bird can fly from his perch to my exercise machine, he can't get from his perch to the couch, which is much closer unless my husband is sitting on it. In which case he walks the 3 foot distance to the couch. But if it is just me and Bird, Bird can't figure out how to breach the perch to couch gap.

(Wow. That was a good example of t.m.i.)

What I am trying to say is that his agression might just be his birdie instincts. Bird loved my son when he was younger. But one day Kai gave him a Cheezie (one of Bird's favorites) and Bird bit him so hard, Kai (my now 15 year old) hasn't been comfortable with him since. But Bird was just being a bird. He thought the treat was being taken instead of given.

Food providing and treat giving must work in most situations. But not all. Maybe try different approaches. Every bird is different.

Sand

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sand
conures have triggers. Brushes, things that sound like snakes: pill bottles and ice in a cup. They will "protect you" from these dangerous items, 1st with a LOOK, then with a bite, to make you move away from scarey object. & Some r territorial of thier cage. I always tried to respect that. It's hard to do when u get bit, i know. Bless you for helping this bird out. By the way, he might like some soft music, sometimes good luck

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
They will "protect you" from these dangerous items, 1st with a LOOK, then with a bite, to make you move away from scarey object. & Some r territorial of thier cage.

That's not "protection"... that's displaced aggression or fear.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Parrots don't show that behavior in the wild. It makes no sense for a parrot to fly over to his or her mate, bite them, then fly off, when there is a predator around. That's more time they are staying in the area, thus more time for them to potentially become "dinner".

When a flock of birds take off due to a predator, they take off at once once the alarm has been given that there is danger! No wasting time flying over to other birds to warn them! They scream it!

Lesley Yeung

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lesley
Bird was terrified of my gardening knee pads. I had to throw them away because when he saw them he panicked like you wouldn't beleive. It was weird. Bird isn't afraid of anything else. They were black and purple with plastic on the knees and filled with gel. Anyone know why these scared him so badly? Just the mere sight of them, not just me wearing them.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Bird was terrified of my gardening knee pads. I had to throw them away because when he saw them he panicked like you wouldn't beleive. It was weird. Bird isn't afraid of anything else. They were black and purple with plastic on the knees and filled with gel. Anyone know why these scared him so badly? Just the mere sight of them, not just me wearing them.
Some birds can be afraid of a specific color... even if they themselves have feathers of the same color. Maybe it was how they looked or shined? Or maybe it was the straps? A lot of possibilities.