• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rescued a turtle PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is what I was thinking Chris!:D

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
It doesnt sound like UT has that big of a breeding population, many are throw away pets.:( Since this turtle was found close to human population, I would probably safely say, it was a released turtle. And since there is no known knowledge on if this invasive species is hurting habitats of native species in that area, you could either release it or find it a good home.

Min

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Melinda
Maybe an exotics store would take him in. I know one around me does. They just gave my daughter two red eared slider rescues. She has a beautiful 6 foot long tank. My vet also accepts some rescue exotic turtles. Maybe one near you does. There are turtle rescues, an exotics vet might also have that info.

When these turtles get cold, they go into hibernation mode. He must not have been outside long. A heat lamp for him to bask under might help him to start eating. They are herbivores and my daughter's turtles will eat almost any vegetables.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Red ear sliders are pescetarians. In the wild they mainly eat fish. Although in captivity, veggies are eaten by them. When I used to work with the sliders. They would eat their pellets and fish, and the occasionally floating pea.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Please be sure to thoroughly scrub your hands, and keep his dishes away from your birds' dishes. You can get salmonella from turtles.
Pet Turtles: Cute But Contaminated with Salmonella

I hope you can find someone with turtle experience to take him. Maybe look it up and see if there is a rescue or zoo that might take him?

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
if he won't eat the pellets you can get some crickets from a bait store or petco. petsmart probably has them too.

Cinnyluver

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
Thanks everyone. I'm going to call around and see if someone will take him. For those who are worried about him being a wild turtle, I know he isn't for a couple reasons. 1st, turtles aren't native to this part of Utah. They live in other places, but not by the salt lake. 2nd, the kayscreek where I found him is NO place for a turtle. It is where people dump their oil and other crap and is very polluted. The only things that live in there are muskrats and insects. Fish, frogs, turtles and other animals wouldn't last in there for more than a few days.
He has been hiding in the corner of his container and I'm afraid he's getting too cold. Since it's in my garage, it gets pretty chilly at night. He doesn't seem to want to sit by the heat lamp at all. I've set him there a few times to try to warm him up, but he jumps back into the water first chance he gets. :confused:
As for feeding, I will try the pellets again today. I don't think he'd be interested in bugs because I've already tried to feed him some mosquitoes and flies and he won't touch them.

Zoso

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bob
I find them in ponds here in maryland all the time. People tend to release them into the wild when they get to big. I actually caught one while fishing last year in a nearby pond. The hook messed up his neck a bit so I treated him with antibiotics and set up a habitat for him for a month or so while he was recuperating. He escaped from his tank a couple of times and spent a week out of water in the warehouse somewhere. I had no problems feeding him turtle sticks even though he was wild caught so I assumed he was either really hungry or someone had released him there. I re-released him before the end of summer.
According to Utah Division of Wildlife Resources there are many reproducing populations of red eared sliders in Utah. He very well could be been born in that area you found him in. If he is not used to people he will probably never eat in front of you. If it is warm enough I would let him loose or try and find a home for him. Just my opinion.

emdh

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elizabeth
I also raised them when I was in high school. I kept mine in a 20 gallon tank with a "raft" made out of cork wood that he could climb onto and bask in the UV light I gave him. They love swimming so need water deep enough for that-but need to be able to climb out to bask. Pellets are okay-but believe it or not, I fed mine mealy worms (which I propogated in oatmeal but I believe you can get them at some pet stores), bits of raw fish and tiny pieces/balls of hamburger. I fed them in a container with a bit of water and that way when he's done eating you can put him back in the tank so the water doesn't spoil.

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
I find them in ponds here in maryland all the time. People tend to release them into the wild when they get to big. I actually caught one while fishing last year in a nearby pond. The hook messed up his neck a bit so I treated him with antibiotics and set up a habitat for him for a month or so while he was recuperating. He escaped from his tank a couple of times and spent a week out of water in the warehouse somewhere. I had no problems feeding him turtle sticks even though he was wild caught so I assumed he was either really hungry or someone had released him there. I re-released him before the end of summer.
According to Utah Division of Wildlife Resources there are many reproducing populations of red eared sliders in Utah. He very well could be been born in that area you found him in. If he is not used to people he will probably never eat in front of you. If it is warm enough I would let him loose or try and find a home for him. Just my opinion.
I found him in a disgusting polluted creek where nothing lives but muskrats and insects. He couldn't have grown there with no food and all that pollution. Even if he is wild, I know he didn't come from around here because that gross old creek is the only body of water around here. I appreciate your advice. I think I know someone who has a pond in their backyard that they've kept turtles in. I will contact him. :)

I also raised them when I was in high school. I kept mine in a 20 gallon tank with a "raft" made out of cork wood that he could climb onto and bask in the UV light I gave him. They love swimming so need water deep enough for that-but need to be able to climb out to bask. Pellets are okay-but believe it or not, I fed mine mealy worms (which I propogated in oatmeal but I believe you can get them at some pet stores), bits of raw fish and tiny pieces/balls of hamburger. I fed them in a container with a bit of water and that way when he's done eating you can put him back in the tank so the water doesn't spoil.
Thanks, I don't know where to put him because that tub he's in is the biggest thing I have but he can barely move in there. I could put him in the bathtub. :p I might try feeding him a small feeder fish since he's so big and may not be used to eating pellets.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
If it was me, I would consider putting a plea for help on craigslist. Basically, what you put here. Don't mention that you're looking for a home or that you can't keep him, just that you found him and you don't know how to care for him. Request advice. Hopefully someone knowledgeable will step forward and offer you care information, then mention that they'd be willing to take him if you'd like.

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
Great news! :D I found a home for the turtle! I contacted a person who has a son who has a really nice large pond and can take the turtle! I'm so glad I found someone who knows about turtles and can give him a nice large place to live! :starshower:I admit, I'm going to miss my little reptile friend. :sad7: But I'm glad he'll be in good hands. :)

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
So I brought the turtle to their house. They have a mini pond to keep it in until they can get it up to their sons house where it will have a giant pond. I'm so happy for him! Oh, and we named him Master Oogway. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.