• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rescue Sengal Nearby

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
I've become very interested in Sengals and I was surprised to find out that they're relatively quiet (quieter than conures that is). They seem to have pretty good personalities and I'd be willing to get a one-person bird because I have a feeling my family besides my mom won't want to be too involved in having a bird. I found out that there is a bird shelter nearby that has a male sengal and I'd like to visit there soon to see what he and the other birds are like. I've been researching like crazy recently but it always comes down to one huge question. Time. I'd be willing, next summer, (I'm not getting any bird until next summer most likely) to train or socialize a bird, we have enough money to be able to keep the bird healthy and in a good cage with plenty of chew toys, swings, etc, but I'm mostly concerned about the times he'll be out.

Our schedule is that at I almost never leave the house on weekends so plenty of time then, but my concern is weekdays. All of us but my mom will be gone during the day for six or seven hours from monday to friday. My mom is home two or three of those days so the bird would be alone for six or seven hours for three days a week at the VERY MOST. That really concerns me so I want honest opinions if I should hold out on getting a bird until my schedule is better.

I'll be able to play with the bird for about two hours in the morning and when I get home in the afternoon I'll have five hours or more (trying to make sure he'll have at least ten hours for sleep). That'll be about seven hours a day on the weekdays besides when my mom is home. I'm wanting to acclimate him with my mom and teach them both about each other so he'll at least tolerate her when she's off work.

Please tell me honestly if this might work if I had enough toys to keep him active and happy and if my mom is able to play with him on occasion when I'm gone.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I would suggest that, if you are unable to spend more then 2 hours with your bird each day, either dont get one, or get two :)
I started out with one Senegal, my little pea Kaya! She's a wonderful companion, but when i started my fulltime job, time became an issue for me as well!

Rether then doing her away, i bought her a big cage (as bigger is always better) and a companion. This does not have inpact on her tameness, she's still my loyal companion, but at least i can spend the day away without too much regrets! That is to say, when i do have time, she really wants it :)

That all said, im not a big fan of "one bird" anyway.. imagine yourself spending your whole life alone between monkeys. As clever as they might be, and you may even learn their language, you will always be the one human between the others.. That aplies for birds as well.. Sometimes it just nice to have someone of your own species, i image the same would apply for birds as clever as parrots :)

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I agree with @Lincee

While I don't have Senegal parrots, birds in general live in flocks. In the wild, parrots are prey animals. Birds flock together because there is safety in numbers. While a lonely parrot missing his/her favorite human is certainly troublesome, the issue is even graver than most people realize because the parrot is far more likely to get anxious and nervous if he/she is alone. Most humans have either school or full time jobs to attend to away from home, and that's fine, but that's why getting two birds is so important. It may be a greater expense, since everything is doubled: two cages (very likely), two sets of toys and perches, two mouths to feed, two vet bills to pay, etc. But honestly, that expense is worth it becuase, for one, you'll avoid MANY behavioral issues such as screaming and feather plucking, and, secondly, you'll have two happier more confident birds.

Besides, two birds is WAY more fun than one! :hehe:

And, I mean, just look how cute these two are taking a nap together on their human's knee. :xflove:

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
Thanks so much! Do you guys have any recommendations as to what bird I should get as a companion? Another Sengal of the same or opposite sex or just a completely different species? Or would it really matter that much? They will probably need to be in separate cages regardless of how they get along, I don't want to chance them getting in a fight while I'm gone but I might have them out together depending on how much they tolerate each other.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Senegals can be feisty, so you would want a bird of the same size or bigger. Thats no guarantee though, my Senegal would take a hit on my Amazon without blinking :) Brave little things they are :)

I dont think sexe matters, just be sure to introduce them to each other slowly! if you get them both at the same time, you might try placing them in a new, large enough case at the same time, and see how they do :) I was lucky, my Senegals got along right from the start, but ive heard of horror stories, so be warned, and careful :) Still, even in separate cages, they have someone to talk to, as it where.. so even thats an advantage over having one :)

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
Alright, thank you all so much for the help! :D

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I would suggest that, if you are unable to spend more then 2 hours with your bird each day, either dont get one, or get two :)
I believe that @BirdField meant two hours in the morning, and then five hours in the afternoon.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I've heard of Senegal parrots getting along with other senegals, but also with other, similar sized species of pois - meyers and red bellies, for example.