• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rescue Macaw Update

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Great to read he's doing well :loveshower:

Laura729

Jogging around the block
@Laura729 ok stupid question, I had bird that was afraid of dark colors, because he didn't see well. have you tried light colored sweatshirt to pick up with. Rocky would only step on to white long sleeves.
Not stupid at all! I used to petsit a grey who was very specific about colors he liked and disliked! Amos did step up on this (dark) sweatshirt yesterday - once hesitantly and once right away/with no hesitation, and I'm trying to remember what color sweatshirts I may have had at other times/days, but that's definitely a good idea to consider and try other colors to see if he reacts differently! And I think I'll even be ok using just my arm soon actually, if he will allow it...:scared2: :)

Your success with Amos is outstanding. How long has he been there? Is it possible for the birds to get some natural sunshine? You think we are tearful now, just wait till he is adopted! Photos are wonderful.
He's been there for a few years! And we do have 2 outside areas/enclosures where the birds can get some sunshine and fresh air in nice weather, which is great and most of them really enjoy it. There was the one volunteer who he decided he loved soon after he arrived at the rescue, and she used to be there frequently, so she could get him in and out of his cage and take him to the outside area in the past (she was the only one he'd allow to work with him at all), but her work schedule changed last year and her time at the rescue decreased a lot (especially her time with the birds, as she worked with a lot of the other animals too) and as of several months ago she hasn't been able to come at all (that's part of the reason I think he decided to "settle" for me recently, haha).

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
OH that must be rough on the birds to get attached to a volunteer and then that person does not come back any more.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Words can not describe the feeling when a bird with a trust issue finally has a break through...so happy he has someone as dedicated as you to help him through all this scary stuff...he is making wonderful process.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
That's wonderful! :)

Luckysmomma

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenn
Great job keep up all that work i read you post about this guy i your other post this guy just wants love too lol and man what a looker he is. Sounds like hes showing you his true colors i cant wait to see more updates on him so great to see him being steped up and playing

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
This is so heart-warming! Thank you so much for sharing! :xflove:

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good job, he wants to trust and shows it. Praying he will be given a loving caring home and kudos for showing him he can trust.

Laura729

Jogging around the block
Just another quick update - when I was at the rescue on Sunday, Amos came out to hang with us for a long time, and enjoyed being hand-fed a banana. He was a little grumpy at first, but the vet had been there the day before for grooming and basic check-ups, so that's understandable (and he was fine after he came out and saw that none of that was going to be happening). He was comfortable and nice with yet another person as well! So he's really coming along! :heart:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Such good news. Your are a wonderful bird lady.