• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Rescue bird injured leg!

Ocean

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Hi everyone, I definitely did not expect
to be back for another year, and this is incredibly unexpected and kind of out of the blue.

Today, I went to the pet store to get some stuff for my fish tank, and the pet store owner came over to my mom and I, the conversation went something like this.

Him: “Hey, do you guys like birds?”

Us: “Uh, yeah, we use to have one”

Him “Well I have a present for you, we have a bird someone dropped off, and something is wrong with it’s leg”

Us: (Like some gift right? A bird that requires medical care?)

My mom and I look at each other like oh no.

So we go to the front and see the bird, opens it up, opens a shoe box,

It’s a young budgie, with something wrong with one leg (can’t stand on it, wings heavily clipped)

Apparently the owner came in and just didn’t want to care for it anymore (because it got hurt and they couldn’t afford vet care? Who knows )

Lots of back and fourth between my mom and I, we weren’t really looking for a bird, I honestly didn’t think I was going to get one right now, I just lost my Linnie in September, and the timing is all wrong, we just weren’t expecting a bird.

The owner was pretty insistent on us taking him and giving him a chance, saying the stress and whatnot was not good for him in a pet store wasn’t good for him, it was clear my mom didn’t want to take him, she doesn’t want another bird right now and I’m not sure if I can

right now either. but we both felt so bad.

Long story short, we took him, I set up my old cage and he’s there now, covered in a dark room. Water and food is there with him too. Looks like the leg might require medical care. The guy just said to wait a week or so to see if it gets better on its own, but now that I have him, he will probably see a vet sometime next week.

Pictures to come tomorrow, since he’s resting.

Anyways, ugh this is kind of me venting, my mom is like “who do you know who wants a bird?” And I’ve got zero clue, especially a bird who’s hurt and I don’t think hand tamed (yet).

Anyways, I’m not making this post for everyone to hate on the store owner, yes

It’s wrong to push a pet, especially an injured pet on people unexpectedly, that’s something I know, and honestly, what’s done is done, so no point it dwelling on it.

What’s important now is the bird, and like I said, I’ll show photos tomorrow so you can all see his leg, maybe someone has seen this before.

Vent over for now! Just looking for some advice on what to do, how to make him comfortable, what to look out for ect.

Thank you everyone, this is a very unexpected return, I don’t know what’s going to happen yet, we will see.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Take him to an Avian vet asap! It was so sweet of you to take him home!!! Blessings to you and your mom!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
What exactly are you seeing on the birds leg?
Is it foot? Or is it actually leg?
Obviously needs attention and have it looked at no doubt. I personally can't offer you up any medical advice Without seeing it. But I will caution you on the fact that birds bones do heal rather quickly so if perhaps it's broke you run risk of it not setting right and poor thing will forever have pain. Keep that in mind.
I realize it's memorial weekend and vet care is in some places, limited. Take a cotton swab, cut it to length of leg, I have used the part of swab by cutting both ends of the cotton off and wrapping it on a budgie before. Works excellent. Don't extend it past leg above or below to prevent anymore injury to bird. Then wrap it, not too tight as to cut circulation off, use vet wrap it's sold in most pharmacies as hurt free gauze/ wraps. This will work for broken or spranged leg till you get to vet. And this takes two people to do this. One to hold bird, the other to wrap.
But by all means a vet visit is warranted.I
Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
What exactly are you seeing on the birds leg?
Is it foot? Or is it actually leg?
Obviously needs attention and have it looked at no doubt. I personally can't offer you up any medical advice Without seeing it. But I will caution you on the fact that birds bones do heal rather quickly so if perhaps it's broke you run risk of it not setting right and poor thing will forever have pain. Keep that in mind.
I realize it's memorial weekend and vet care is in some places, limited. Take a cotton swab, cut it to length of leg, I have used the part of swab by cutting both ends of the cotton off and wrapping it on a budgie before. Works excellent. Don't extend it past leg above or below to prevent anymore injury to bird. Then wrap it, not too tight as to cut circulation off, use vet wrap it's sold in most pharmacies as hurt free gauze/ wraps. This will work for broken or spranged leg till you get to vet. And this takes two people to do this. One to hold bird, the other to wrap.
But by all means a vet visit is warranted.I
Hope that helps.
Agreed have a disabled diamond dove who probably broke his wing in the pet store and before i could even decide on which doves to pick the shop keeper had already done that and given me him and other birds in a crowded net. Hey not complaining i love my babies but letting you know of the pet store owners intentions. Long story short it had already healed in the wrong position and by the time i went to a vet ,there was nothing that could be done. So do go as quickly as possible. Is there a visible wound or is the leg twisted weirdly. It could even be paralyzed. To comfort him lay a heating pad or put him under an incandescent bulb it will also give of heat. Is he eating ? I hope he is it's nice of you to take the poor guy in. Keep us posted.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, I’m so glad you took him home and want to help him! :heart:Maybe it was fate that brought you there right when he was in need of a home. I hope he’ll be okay!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
See a avian vet asap

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran