• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Reputable Pi Breeders

SecretlyRobots

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
I'm wondering if anyone knows any reputable Pi breeders that are still active? Specifically bronze wing but at this point I'll settle for any type of Pi. I thought I had found a bronze wing breeder. We put down a deposit, visited him, got everything all set up and he caught an infection and tragically died at 4 months old. I feel absolutely devastated. I feel like at this point I've contacted every aviary I could find that ever bred pionuses to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_20180428_152249515.jpg IMG_20180728_112945812-01 (1).jpeg

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
If only they were easier to find. It took years of looking before I found my first one (6 states away). Then a few years after that before I could get a second. Then a couple of years between them and the last two. As soon as one was available near-ish to me I jumped. I have a friend in San Antonio area that breeds some pi's. Think only white caps and maxis. You can find her on facebook Stella Selby. I got my maxi from her

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Where are you? I know of a very good breeder in the UK, but that won't help if you're in another country!

Shoosh1

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Michelle
I am in the same boat as SecretlyRobots... Been looking for years and keep missing out. I am in Northern California but ready to travel anywhere!

I am seriously longing for a PIONUS , BH, BW or Maxi. Older or young, doesn't matter. I have lived with both and have many years experience in large parrot rescue, hand-feeding and behavioral modification. I am getting older now, all my rescues have been placed and I would like to find my one and only feathered companion, to love, spoil and cherish forever after!!!

Today is my birthday (really!)... Can anyone help make my wish come true?

Thank you so very much!!!

Michelle

SecretlyRobots

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
I am in the same boat as SecretlyRobots... Been looking for years and keep missing out. I am in Northern California but ready to travel anywhere!

I am seriously longing for a PIONUS , BH, BW or Maxi. Older or young, doesn't matter. I have lived with both and have many years experience in large parrot rescue, hand-feeding and behavioral modification. I am getting older now, all my rescues have been placed and I would like to find my one and only feathered companion, to love, spoil and cherish forever after!!!

Today is my birthday (really!)... Can anyone help make my wish come true?

Thank you so very much!!!

Michelle
@Shoosh1 The best luck I had was constantly stalking birdbreeders.com for pionus babies. There is a storefront in IL that currently is hand feeding both Maxi and BH babies. I think the most diverse Pionus breeder in terms of the number of Pi species was Patty'sPets out of FL, when I contacted them you can get on their waiting list for BH, Maxi or Dusty Pis. I know they were expecting some BH babies in Aug. and they seem excellent. I did try local rescues and petfinder without much success. Best of luck!

hedylarue

Meeting neighbors
There are a few places in the Northeast that get them...typically blue headed or white capped. They will usually only have one at a time. I've seen one Maxi in the past year and I've never seen a Bronze Wing. None of the places I know will ship...not sure where you are? I would be wary of shipping a Pi...they are so sensitive and can hold on to traumas and grudges for a long time. Maybe others have had success, but if you can drive somewhere I think it's better. One roadtrip for a buddy that will last 20-30 years seems like a good trade off to me!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I am in Northern California but ready to travel anywhere!
How far? :D If you go to Denmark you can have any Pionus you want.
It is so strange that this really small country, do have all the Pionus species for sale. I have travel and bought two Maxis their.
The last time I was their, the same breeder had BW, Maxis, WC and BH babies.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you contacted Wing Nuts Aviary? Do a search for the aviary or Maggie Tarleton.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
BW not that easy to breed, LAst I heard MAggies skipped a few...I would have had one a year ago but cancer struck.
I found a Hawkhead. a year later..also hard to breed/find that caught my heart so now the BW is one hold...Babies will always find a place to land but those 20=+ are harder to place...

hedylarue

Meeting neighbors
How far? :D If you go to Denmark you can have any Pionus you want.
It is so strange that this really small country, do have all the Pionus species for sale. I have travel and bought two Maxis their.
The last time I was their, the same breeder had BW, Maxis, WC and BH babies.
That's really interesting!!

jujube1209

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie
Yes, Maggie is located north of Indianapolis. She breeds bronze wings, and will ship them. I got my cape from her (drove from NE Kansas :smuggrin:). My cape is fantastic....Maggie is an excellent breeder! She does not have a website for her aviary, but you can find her easily on Facebook.