• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Reptile Heating - Teflon

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
So I realized yesterday that while I knew this it wasn’t always common knowledge for those who own both reptiles and birds. Bulbs that we use (both floodlights & reptile specific) and especially if they have shatter resistant in the description can have a Teflon (PTFE) coating. Another thing not everyone realizes is exactly how hot these bulbs can get trying to heat up reptiles. Even if your basking spot is at 120 the bulb itself is much higher and ridiculously hot. Much hotter than the threshold studies show Teflon breaks down and releases fumes. A warning for those of us who have both and to check out the bulbs you are using to see if they have the coating.

For the non believers. This is the temp of my bulb on a bearded dragon enclosure. Several hundred degrees higher than studies show Teflon starting to break down.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:eeeek: Holy cow that is crazy hot!
What do you do to protect your birds? Do you order special PTFE-free bulbs? Is Teflon harmful to reptiles? SO many questions. Thank you for posting this.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
:eeeek: Holy cow that is crazy hot!
What do you do to protect your birds? Do you order special PTFE-free bulbs? Is Teflon harmful to reptiles? SO many questions. Thank you for posting this.
I'm super curious too :)