• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Renly's Expandable Habitats Cage

Morghen

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
My CAG, Renly, is very picky about his cage (as CAGs are known to be). After a failed attempt to get him to enjoy a Kings corner cage, I had pretty much given up on getting him into a cage that was suitable for his size. It seemed like he would be in the cage I had bought as a temporary solution (he was very clumsy as a baby) for ever.

Once I heard about Expandable Habitats, I contacted them to see how the customization of their cages could be used to possibly suit Renly's needs. Some of his problems with the Kings cage seemed to be the bar spacing was too big (he prefer's 3/4 over 1 inch) and the cage itself was too tall. After emailing back and forth with EH, I was able to customized a cage I felt he would come to enjoy.

I ended up purchasing the 48305 model which is 48x30x50, without the grate (which is something I'll discuss more), and with the stand cut down as low as possible (since Renly doesn't like being up too high). When the cage arrived, I was worried about the choice to not have the grate since it leaves a bit of a gap in between the cage's top and the bottom. However, the opening to clean the cage was easily bolted down by my father so Renly couldn't push it (anyone with one of these cages is probably familiar with the metal flap that allows access to the paper in the cage, which isn't a problem if there's a grate blocking the access to the flap). Renly likes to be on the bottom of his cage, but the gap is just small enough that his head doesn't fit in it. So if anyone with a CAG was curious about how these cages would work grateless, it has been fine with Renly so far.

Renly1.jpg Renly3.jpg

His cage is simple, toy-wise, because those are the only ones he likes in his cage. I am slowly working on introducing more types of toys to him in his cage, but it is process (luckily he isn't afraid of playing with new toys when he is out of his cage!). He is fine with small toys that he can forage from the box toys in the cage, so he does get some variety that way. Same with the perches.

I definitely recommend these cages for anyone who is considering buying one. They are pricey, but they are worth it with the quality that comes with the price! Renly and I are both very happy with them.

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have the same cage for my CAG, well the normal one without customization. Its great for him because sometimes he is clumsy and falls off his perches and its not a far fall.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
which model is this @KimKim? Sammy is a amazon and has a big dome top macaw cage that she loves but I love the design of these cages. So simple and very elegant looking if that makes sense haha! To the original poster, some toys in the cage as opposed to lots is okay. Sammy was very cautious of toys for years and still prefers smaller ones. Do what makes your bird comfortable and happy.

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Its the 48305, I chose to have the raised top. I love it, so easy to clean with the pull out paper and yes very elegant looking :)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Very interesting! We have three of these cages...two for two CAGs and one for two of our Galah boys. I love them but I've never seen a model without the grate! I'm glad you are happy with it. I'm hoping to convince my husband to order another one for our SB2 who we cannot keep in a regular cage without putting holes in it or chain on it to lock it down somehow...he gets out of everything that cannot be pad locked! How long did you have to wait to have it made? I know we had a three month wait for our last one. Well worth it though!

sierraecho89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Seraphina
Is this collapsible?? It's so cool!

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
Thanks everyone!

I waited awhile to have it made (it was made two years ago and I just got Renly to go in it this January). If I remember correctly I ordered it around February and received it in July, which was fine with me. The wait is definitely worth it!

It comes apart in panels and takes two people to put back together. It's very heavy, though, so having it come apart in panels makes sense.