• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Remove the toy or leave it?

ItsMyLife

Strolling the yard
oh my crazy Quaker....

He’s begun trying to mate with his toys. I started moving them around in hopes to deter it some, and then tried changing them out to some that he’d have less interest in mating with but to no avail.

He guards the toys he “uses”, and not just from me but from everything. He will attack his food if it’s too close to that days chosen toy. He attacks his own shadow if he sees it on the wall or on the perch. He’s screaming all day at anything he deems too close to the toy.

I don’t mind much, but I’m worried that he’s stressing himself out as he is spending his entire day trying to guard the toys from things that shouldn’t be a threat. He won’t eat the food in his cage, I’ve been having to take him out and get him to eat on his play stand. Same with his water. Even the perches themselves.

I have the toys as far away from the dishes in the cage as they can be, but he still goes after them.

Should I just let him do his thing, remove the toys, rearrange it all again every couple of days?

I don’t want him deprived, but I don’t want him to be so stressed all the time either. Unless this is normal, in which case, I’ll just let it be. I don’t recall any of my past birds doing this, so I’m just a bit unsure.

AmyGina

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amy
Poor guy! I am only on day one with my Quaker baby. Wish I could help with an answer

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
John posted this link last week. @JLcribber I think it may address some of your issues. My Linnie is just 6 months old and this week she became very interested in the mirrored disco ball that is hanging with her boing. The shape, the mirrors, oh my. I removed it and she contact called many times that day. Then she stopped and acted perfectly normal the next day. I will be watching her behavior with toys and will remove anything that I think might encourage mating and protective cage behavior.

Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine