• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Rehousing a couple critters

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
The 8 legged kind ;)

They're getting bigger and needed to upgrade housing.

Avicularia sp. 'purple'

Psalmopoeus irminia

One day, I'll learn common names.

I really like spiders, especially arboreal tarantulas from the New World.

Callista15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Callista(Cally)
Cool! :) Tarantulas are amazing little critters!

Mariannee

Avenue Veteran
omg omg shudder shudder gooseflesh arachnophobic here ! Well good luck someone has to take care of the creepy crawlies because I won't . :facepalm:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Um, thank you but no ..... :jawdrop: :whack: :imok: :run: :run: :run: :run: :run:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:scared5: :backout:

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Only one person so far thinks they're cool? :confused:

I've been keeping spiders (tarantula or no) longer than I have birds! I'm seriously in :heart: with the 8 legged wonders.

I guess it's like that for people who are afraid of birds when dealing with bird owners, they're not able to understand the fascination as to why some people enjoy keeping these animals. It's a 'someone has to love them, just not me' kind of motto.

Everyone's afraid of something usually. I personally don't like ticks, I don't completely panic when I see some around in nature, I just really don't like when they LATCH onto you. When they latch on I think of all the diseases they might be carrying. They're one of the few arachnids I don't like. *Kind of random, sorry*

Buzzard

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jess
Awesome!

The Avicularia are usually called Pinktoe tarantulas, but I don't know if they still call the purple ones pinktoes.

Psalmopoeus Irminia is sold at the shows here as a Suntiger, or Venezuelan Suntiger. Yours looks like she's growing into a really gorgeous one!

Did you get them as tiny slings? I don't keep tarantulas but I love them and always have to check them out at the herp shows.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Awesome!

The Avicularia are usually called Pinktoe tarantulas, but I don't know if they still call the purple ones pinktoes.

Psalmopoeus Irminia is sold at the shows here as a Suntiger, or Venezuelan Suntiger. Yours looks like she's growing into a really gorgeous one!

Did you get them as tiny slings? I don't keep tarantulas but I love them and always have to check them out at the herp shows.
I'm pretty sure the Avicularia sp. 'purple' I have is commonly called a purple pinktoe, not 100% positive though if there's another common name. Wasn't sure about the P. irminia. I've also got an A. avicularia (your common pinktoe). Thanks :D

I've had maybe a few too many species over the years to try and remember the common and scientific name. :lol:

The Suntiger I got around the same size so I haven't had it too long. The pinktoe was quite a bit smaller when I first got it, it's already molted at least a few times under my care. It's awesome raising slings to adulthood. I had an Orange Baboon one time that matured into a male in only a year and a half! Talk about some fast growers.

Buzzard

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jess
Purple Pinktoe is one of the girliest, most froo froo trade names I've heard for a tarantula. I kind of love it. Remembering the scientific names is the important part!

I'll bet the orange baboon was gorgeous! I'd love to keep seeing pictures as these two keep growing. Are they both females?

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Not sure of the sex right now, I typically don't bother sexing until they get about 3 or 4 inches as it won't matter till they get closer to breeding age/size for me anyway. Younger ones without the right magnification equipment are a pain to sex.

I've got an Olive Flat Rock scorpion (?) or Hadogenes paucidens I know is a female.

Next molt I'll probably check the gender for a couple of my tarantulas.

Hadogenes paucidens

Grammostola rosea (Rosehair tarantula)

I've heard rosehairs are slow growers. We shall see, I've had rosehairs before but this is the first I've started off as a sling.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I never knew spiders molted :huh:

Kay_belle_12

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
They are lovely! Millipedes are my favorite invertebrate. :o:

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
They are lovely! Millipedes are my favorite invertebrate. :o:

Millipedes are awesome :) their food requirements are typically quite different from tarantulas, and as such I've never had any but have been thinking about acquiring centipedes for years (as many in the pet trade are carnivorous). Just never stepped up to it. I don't know why, but there's something creepier about centipedes than millipedes or tarantulas to me. Probably because I've heard interesting stories about them escaping. :eek:

They still fascinate me though. Maybe one day :D

I never thought about it, but African Giant Millipedes would be handy to have around to help with ridding myself of the extra produce I buy for my birds, instead of wasting it by throwing it away.

Kay_belle_12

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
Millipedes are awesome :) their food requirements are typically quite different from tarantulas, and as such I've never had any but have been thinking about acquiring centipedes for years (as many in the pet trade are carnivorous). Just never stepped up to it. I don't know why, but there's something creepier about centipedes than millipedes or tarantulas to me. Probably because I've heard interesting stories about them escaping. :eek:

They still fascinate me though. Maybe one day :D
Centipedes are really creepy! Millipedes have always been on my want list, maybe one day it will happen for me also.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
One of my absolute favorite places to visit at the National Zoo In Washington, DC, is the Invertebrate House. They have a beautiful octopus, fascinating Nautiluses (?) and wonderful tarantulas as well as those long legged, beautifully marked orb weavers they have hanging out (literally and uncaged) at the exit to the house. Such beautiful creatures. Mother nature's masterpieces! Yet I have never had any desire to have a spider as a pet. Never occurred to me, actually. Of course ,as allergic as I am to spider bites, and it probably would be a really bad idea.

I have always wanted a bearded dragon, though. I found my friend's beardies behaved like little, scaly dogs. Her breeding male was a really cuddly dragon; and before meeting Oscar, I would have never considered a reptile could be termed 'cuddly'. But Oscar is and he loves to be scritched. Those tiny, end-of-your-thumb-sized, babies were absolutely dear.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
One of my absolute favorite places to visit at the National Zoo In Washington, DC, is the Invertebrate House. They have a beautiful octopus, fascinating Nautiluses (?) and wonderful tarantulas as well as those long legged, beautifully marked orb weavers they have hanging out (literally and uncaged) at the exit to the house. Such beautiful creatures. Mother nature's masterpieces! Yet I have never had any desire to have a spider as a pet. Never occurred to me, actually. Of course ,as allergic as I am to spider bites, and it probably would be a really bad idea.

I have always wanted a bearded dragon, though. I found my friend's beardies behaved like little, scaly dogs. Her breeding male was a really cuddly dragon; and before meeting Oscar, I would have never considered a reptile could be termed 'cuddly'. But Oscar is and he loves to be scritched. Those tiny, end-of-your-thumb-sized, babies were absolutely dear.
I've got a beardie as well :heart: He's like a cute little critter that will tolerate next to ANYTHING. He's also getting old and slowing down A LOT now :( But at 8 years old he's been a joy the entire way. My cat loves to watch him. When cleaning his cage before bedtime, he used to crawl to my room under the bed to take a nap. Only bit me once, when I had nail polish on the color of romaine lettuce :roflmao:

They're great lizards. I'm more partial to snakes though overall where reptiles are concerned.

Wulfgeist

Strolling the yard
:scared5: :scared1: No arachnids..blah! A beardy might be cool but not..spiders..although I got to this section of youtube one night (doesn't that always happen) and somehow found this one guy's videos. He bred, collected, sold them..they were pretty fascinating to watch despite myself being creeped out.