• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rehoming to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
I've never had rehome birds and am nervous. At least they'll get to keep their cages and some toys.
These are two socialized Conures that grew up together. Their mom is being transferred and, as a rented, can't find a place that will accept a Sun Conure. I visit them regularly before the move.
I'm hoping that love and patience will work. How long can I expect the transition to take? What is the easiest way to help the birds through this change?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
The transition could take a long time. There isn't really a set time frame, it will be up to the birds to let you know when they are ready. It's good that you are getting their cages and toys that will make things much easier on them. That you already have visited with them too may help a bit. Find out from the owner what kind of treats and food are the favorites and keep some on hand to use. Don't bombard\hover over them when you get them home, talk\sing to them when you are in the same room, drop a treat in the cages while passing, eat with them. Things like that can help to build trust and let them get use to you until they have adjusted. Some birds can take a very long time while others could want to interact right away. Keep us posted on how things go when you get them home.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Patience and more patience...... and love IS the key. It's their timing, not ours, and each bird is different so it can't be predicted.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Are they both suns and can you give any background like age, same/opposite sexes, what type of schedule they're on (out of cage time)? Were they used to sitting on their former owner, are they flighted? You mention cages so I'm assuming (always dangerous) that though they've grown up together they sleep in different cages. Sorry about the 20 questions but it helps give an idea of what they were used to and what will change living with you.

We have an adopted sun, Tikki, who's been with us for about 5-6 years. He was an only bird in his former home and hasn't made any bird friends in my flock. Guesstimated age would be about 10 or 11. It took him about a year to completely settle in with us.

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Each bird will be different. Charlie, my mitred, wanted nothing to do with me in his foster home. Once in my own home, I was the only thing he knew or was familiar with so he's been clinging to me every since.

Jayde, a red throated conure I had adopted from a member here, took more time. She was willing to accept scritches early on, however she didn't trust me. For whatever reason, she both desired human interaction and was afraid of it at the same time. I had to *really* listen to her and her needs for her to settle in and feel comfortable with me, which happened over a period of months. In the beginning, her cage was her safety haven. Eventually, I became better than the cage.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
SandraK, this is a female Sun named Daytona and a male Normal Green Cheek named Sir. They were bred together and are 1 year old. Both are flighted with only dinner time followed by about an hour out of their cages each evening with their current owner. With me, their "free" time will be increased greatly as I enjoy early retirement alone. I lost my best friend of many years, a Pineapple Green Cheek, recently:sad13: and decided it was time to love, again, and that this was best for all.
These babies will move into my home in late June when their current owner's lease is up and her transfer actually happens. I live alone in a 4/2 on an acre in a tiny town in Arkansas. They were in an older apartment before. I think they were bought mistakenly and are just considered pretty furniture.:sad11:
Since this is new to us all, I thought some more research wouldn't hurt. Plus, I'm scared, too. They'll be friends with more freedom now not property.
I already found an avian vet less than an hour away. (I told you I live in a tiny town!) He does new bird and annual checks as well as sick bird and emergencies. He's also agreed to do any necessary clippings.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Congrats on your upcoming additions.
Since this is new to us all, I thought some more research wouldn't hurt. Plus, I'm scared, too. They'll be friends with more freedom now not property.
I can see how you might be concerned...but you're going about the situation very well!

It's going to take some time for your charges to adjust...but being young, they probably adjust quicker than older birds. I'm so glad you have an AV lined up and ready to go...it's so important to get a good relationship going between you all.
I'm hoping that love and patience will work.
It will...believe me, it will...:heart:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
SandraK, this is a female Sun named Daytona and a male Normal Green Cheek named Sir. They were bred together and are 1 year old. Both are flighted with only dinner time followed by about an hour out of their cages each evening with their current owner. With me, their "free" time will be increased greatly as I enjoy early retirement alone. I lost my best friend of many years, a Pineapple Green Cheek, recently:sad13: and decided it was time to love, again, and that this was best for all.
These babies will move into my home in late June when their current owner's lease is up and her transfer actually happens. I live alone in a 4/2 on an acre in a tiny town in Arkansas. They were in an older apartment before. I think they were bought mistakenly and are just considered pretty furniture.:sad11:
I already found an avian vet less than an hour away. (I told you I live in a tiny town!) He does new bird and annual checks as well as sick bird and emergencies. He's also agreed to do any necessary clippings.
Is there any chance the present owner and Daytona and Sir could visit your home before they move to live with you? Adopting or taking in a bird (or more) is always scary because one never knows exactly what will happen. Ask @Clueless (who has Amazons), @JLcribber ( a mix), @cassiesdad (a mix). Of my flock Peeps, Miss Daisy, Loofa, Sunny (tiel RIP @ 24) - there are several others who went on to their forever homes from me.

All I can say is ask questions because the two you are adopting are young by bird standards. Both will hit their teenage(hormonal) years and may test you just like human teens test their parents. If that scares you, I'll put it in perspective; when my eldest son (now 31) was starting high school I volunteered to provide snacks for PTA meetings. I was dropping off baked goods for the PTA meeting and the mom greeted me (after introductions) with: "Now I know why some animals eat their offspring".

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Is there any chance the present owner and Daytona and Sir could visit your home before they move to live with you?
We live about 6-7 hours apart and she sees no value in packing the birds up for such a long drive so, I visit her triweekly instead and stay at a hotel before coming home. I'll have two more visits, then they move. I've got plenty of room in my house including a bedroom with a private bathroom, but she doesn't want to visit. I want those babies so don't argue with her.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
All I can say is ask questions because the two you are adopting are young by bird standards. Both will hit their teenage(hormonal) years and may test you just like human teens test their parents. If that scares you, I'll put it in perspective
I've had a couple of birds and human children go through that stage before. Like I said about Chloe, she even went through my menopause. What I didn't say was that I went through her hormonal behavior, too! The funniest part was when Chloe tried to make me jealous by hanging onto first- time visitors and her "sparring partner." My earlier bird George was actually a female who regularly laid eggs to prove her love for me. My human children still are jealous decades after his/her death.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
It's going to take some time for your charges to adjust...but being young, they probably adjust quicker than older birds. I'm so glad you have an AV lined up and ready to go...it's so important to get a good relationship going between you all.
I had errands in the "big city," so stopped in to see and talk to the potential AV about their arrival. He seems really nice, has multiple birds at home (He claims they're the reason he's single.) and adopted a disabled Umbrella Cockatoo that travels between his office and home daily. Having experience and owning birds shows that he might see problems before me. He'll give me his cell number to meet me halfway or come to my house if there's an emergency. He has AH privileges with the vet only 20 minutes away.
This is a first for all of us, so the least I can do is prepare. Hopefully since they are young, they'll adjust sooner and easier. Thanks for the good wishes and more importantly for the advice! I repeat, this will be a stressful situation for all of us.
At my last visit to their home, I was compared to a pet store. It's only two birds that will receive my attention and be spoiled as allowed. I couldn't stop before I flashed her a "die now" look. :glowlol:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My human children still are jealous decades after his/her death.
What IS IT with kids being jealous of pets! I recently asked my adult son to come pet-sit while we went on our anniversary trip. His response:”You care more about your animals than you do me.” He was serious, too. (I could have said “well the animals don’t....” fill in the blank...)

Anyway congrats on your soon-to-be fids. I wanted to add that I gave away and then took back my 2 cockatiels and it too a whole year for them to adjust, even though they were mine since they were babies. It gave me a whole new perspective on rehoming birds.

tracey&chyna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tracey
Hi Leslie! Congrats on your new additions! I hope the transition goes smoothly! Also glad to hear you have what sounds like an awesome vet ready (a rare find for Arkansas...at least my part anyway)! That's fantastic! :)

What IS IT with kids being jealous of pets! I recently asked my adult son to come pet-sit while we went on our anniversary trip. His response:”You care more about your animals than you do me.” He was serious, too. (I could have said “well the animals don’t....” fill in the blank...)
LOL I love this Tanya! It is true... "our animals don't...." well except backtalk, I have one that backtalks, but I am almost certain she learned it from a teenager running around here! haha!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Hi Leslie! Congrats on your new additions! I hope the transition goes smoothly! Also glad to hear you have what sounds like an awesome vet ready (a rare find for Arkansas...at least my part anyway)! That's fantastic! :)

LOL I love this Tanya! It is true... "our animals don't...." well except backtalk, I have one that backtalks, but I am almost certain she learned it from a teenager running around here! haha!
Let's not forget Milton either ... ;)

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Also glad to hear you have what sounds like an awesome vet ready (a rare find for Arkansas...at least my part anyway)!
It was by accident, I'm sure! I was prepared to drive to Shreveport, LA. Chloe AND George made that trek with me regularly. She told me (total surprise but she's gonna retire) about this guy in NE LA! He's almost 2 hours closer! Another plus, I go there biweekly to shop and run errands.

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
We have rescued and rehabilitated dozens and dozens of different species of birds and loved every one of them. Each one was different and their rehabilitation to become tame, friendly and handleable birds varried from a few days to about a month.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I visit them regularly so that they might get used to having me around. Luckily, they're moving in with the cages and toys they know. Based on their history, I'm not expecting much very soon and HOPE that eventually they'll except me. No matter what, I've got lots of love and patience for them.
I sent pictures to my daughter and she asked if I was excited yet.:pinklol2:
My biggest concern is that the Sun is big enough to "eat" the GCC. Luckily, they grew up together and know one another's quirks.
They don't have an patio aviary to venture into currently and I do. In addition, at my house they'll have more freedom. My concern is that I'll expect more than they're willing to give. Again, I'll be depending on my patience and know they might want to stay in their cages. At least they'll have the option to get out if they choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.