• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rehoming, fostering, adopting

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
yes I have looked and I have in the past placed ads and if they are not flagging me they are responding and saying that I am a flipper and calling me nasty names which none of them are true. To be perfectly honest and I was not going to say this but when I had my accident and went from the queen of office hours to no office hours it put me into therapy and when I had my other bird he made me happy to be around him so my therapist thinks that getting another one would help and go along way in releaving some of the stress on me and be sort of a service animal but by me fostering I can feel like I am giving something back and I just feel that is the way to go If I can find someone or a rescue that could use me.
That happened to me, too, when my BCC passed away and I put an ad on CL looking to adopt another bird. I hadn't realized all the flippers and scam artists say things like "I'm on disability and would rather not spend a lot on the rehoming fee to keep it in savings for vet bills". So even though I wrote this really detailed ad about all my bird experience, about my home, etc, someone kept flagging me. I did find a bird though, my Pete :)

Just keep trying.

I don't know if you can travel to Iowa (or if there is someone from this rescue in your area to do the home inspection) but Mike at Iowa Parrot Rescue doesn't charge a rehoming fee. He does have a lot of requirements though to be sure the birds are going to the right homes. Home inspection, interview with you in person at the rescue to meet birds as well, then he will decide which bird(s) he thinks are good ones for you. Then you need to go back again to pick the bird(s) up. He had a good friend in my area who he trusted to do the home inspection. For me it was just hard to make the two trips to Iowa as I would need a pet sitter here for the ones I already have.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
yes I have looked and I have in the past placed ads and if they are not flagging me they are responding and saying that I am a flipper and calling me nasty names which none of them are true.
The name calling was uncalled for, but I can totally understand where they were coming from. When I was looking for a home for my 2 foster birds, I had a lot of responses.

There were certain things that were immediate red flags to me, a sob story, no money, wanting a free bird and emails that only said "How much?" and "Where you at?" got absolutely no response from me.

When the right homes came along both birds went with no adoption fee and all their stuff. It was the same with my Lovie Jasper. I looked for well over a year for just the right situation for him, and when I found it he went free with all his stuff.

You have to remember these people don't know you, and if their first impression of you is negative or a red flag, they won't give you the time of day.

Good luck and here is a tip. When you respond to an ad for a bird, reread your response as if you were the person having to rehome the bird and ask yourself "Would I entrust my baby to this person?"

suez38

Meeting neighbors
Are you wanting a bird for free?
I am not asking someone to just up and give me there bird! I am asking for info on rescues or someone that needs a foster home or something like that, I want to give back to the (how should I say this) bird community. I LOVED LOVED LOVED my Duke more then any animal that I have ever had in my life. And I understand the part about finding the right person to give your babies to because it took me 6 months to find him a home and yes TMS you are correct the ones asking HOW MUCH AND WHERE YOU AT OR WHAT ALL COMES WITH HIM did not get an answer from me because the ad said respond with a little about yourself and a phone number so we can chat. I drove 1hr away to deliver him and gave him away for free in a $300 cage with way over $100 worth of toys and some I had made myself and I had paid over $500 for him when he was born. So NO I am not asking for a free bird I am asking for someone to entrust me with there baby, because I have enough knowlage to take on even the toughest cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.