• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rehoming B&G Macaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacEnthusiast

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
I am wanting to re-home one of our Blue & Gold Macaws to a home with large bird experience, preferably with experience around neglected birds.

My fiancee and I rescued her off craigslist when we saw she was being severely neglected by the owner. We were only planning to adopt an African Grey from the lady, but found out she also had a B&G Macaw. After seeing the conditions they were suffering in we decided to take both in immediately. Afterwards, we called the local humane society for the remaining animals (she was a hoarder with 20+ dogs) and began rehabilitation. She was malnourished, covered in feces, and deathly afraid of people. After getting her on a stable diet, cleaned up, and a vet visit, we started working on stepping up and handling. She struggles to perch correctly, and has panic attacks any time she is out of the cage for more than 2-3 minutes. She can be handled a little but will become agitated and nippy after a short period of time. She's not happy being left in the cage, but she becomes scared and agitated when she's outside of the cage. We do not currently have the resources to continue her rehabilitation and are reaching out to experienced bird owners.

A re-homing fee applies because I want a family who is not only willing to invest in her wellbeing, but has the means to do so. Feel free to shoot me a message to discuss meeting her.

Attachments

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
I just had a situation like that as well... thanks for helping this little girl. If I was closer and more ready to adopt a larger bird, I'd adopt her in a heartbeat!

Hope you find her a good home:)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Where is your general location.?

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I hope someone here will take him in.

MacEnthusiast

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
I may be willing to travel for the right home, depending on location (I am going back up north to visit family sometime this year). She is fully feathered despite the previous neglect. Feel free to ask any questions about her.

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
She is beautiful! I hope you can find her a wonderful home. :)

Loralie

Sitting on the front steps
She's beautiful! Do you know an approximate age? Did she receive a clean bill of health from the vet?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
If she is afraid both in and out of the cage, are you keeping her in a cage?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Florida Parrot Rescue may be able to help if you aren't able to find a new home by yourself.

MacEnthusiast

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
When you say north, where if I may ask? I'm in Michigan I would travel also. I wil be going to Sarasota in the fall.
Fort Wayne IN. Sarasota isn't far, either.

The job market in FL has been a lot rougher than we anticipated, and we need to find her a good home.

Status
Not open for further replies.