• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rehome Section

Should Rehome Highway Be Visible to Visitors (Non Members) or New Members?

• Total voters

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I was thinking maybe the rehome highway should only be visible to members & only members who have been on for a certain amount of time 3 plus months or have 100 posts etc.

With all the scams & bird flipping I'd hate to see AA become a place where opportunists lurk & join just to get take advantage of our community.

What do you think? Certainly deserves some consideration imho...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If someone legitimate is trying to find a home for their bird though and stumbles across our website, would it be fair for their bird to not have access to our members because of post count?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Actually was not thinking of those legitimately looking to rehome a bird but rather as I said the opportunists looking to get a bird to flip & those wanting to scam...

I read that we are no longer to re post craigslist ads because they are full of scams so who is to say that someone might join to flip a bird or scam....just saying?????

It says that only members & friends of members can list birds but if someone joins just to get a free bird then I guess its up to the community to try to research that person but who knows really who or what kind of home we would be rehoming our dear fid too.

This is not craigslist so we can set boundaries to afford safety...

Wendy Blanton

Sitting on the front steps
I’m new to the site, and I do understand the consures. I’ve been scammed...with Tiki (We have no regrets (Now)). But I would hate for someone else to go through what we did. I would suggest do. Little digging to make sure they are ligament!!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I also don't like everyone seeing birds up for rehome. But I see the point of new folk wanting to place a bird their.

Sadly on every rehome thread I always see posters asking about them with just a few posts to their name.
I think flippers every time I see that.

Is it members only now? Or is it viewable to anyone?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you are a new member you are going to get vetted by the numerous longtime members in short order.

I can smell a bird flipper a mile away. Call it a talent.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I think it might be better to allow new users to post their birds for adoption but not be allowed to adopt in turn until they've made x number of posts and/or been a number for y weeks/months.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I think it might be better to allow new users to post their birds for adoption but not be allowed to adopt in turn until they've made x number of posts and/or been a number for y weeks/months.
I agree. I've sent a few people from my knitting board here because they were desperate to find new homes for their birds due to situations not in their control and they wanted to see their birds placed in loving homes. But do we want unvetted people, even if they aren't bird flippers to have access to this thread?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
It's a thorny question. I think having someone who is in distress for personal/financial reasons and trying to find a safe and good home for their fids is one thing we should allow. What I don't care for are the newbies who ask about where to get a bird cheaply. To me it's a huge red flag since most parrots are not cheap nowadays.

But you also are looking at people who live in locations that don't have rescues or (I hate to say it) pet stores that carry birds or have a local avian vet. A year or two ago there was a S. African newbie member here who was asking about who had/bred birds on AA. I got a message from him asking if I had any I was willing to sell & ship overseas. Never answered and I believe that specific member took a powder.

Then you also have the people who are looking for yet another bird though, on AA, they've tried to adopt or have adopted outside AA when their original bird(s) disappeared/were lost/died or rehomed. And yet they're looking for another bird. They feel like the someone WANTS a bird but just doesn't want the work and care involved.

jennluna

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
is there a way that new members could post their birds that need a new home but not be able to see the other birds that need rehoming until they hit a certain number of posts/time on the board?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The rehome highway is a fully moderated forum. Threads and every post have to be approved by a staff member before being publicly viewed by even members.

In my opinion, flippers would have a much easier time with craigslist, the latter being the cross examination by our members. ;)

The concern, the possibility of flippers, the education... I would rather it be here. We teach the sellers to be wary and fish out the weirdos.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
If you are a new member you are going to get vetted by the numerous longtime members in short order.

I can smell a bird flipper a mile away. Call it a talent.
Or a good nose! :rofl:

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I t would be ideal (to me) if they could post a bird for re-homing but not answer a for a bird needing a home until XX number of posters. It's a tough one, because folks can act like they are re-homing a bird, charge a big fee, and the person never get the bird. This board was so helpful when Boz needed a home, another member helped search out a vetted person and it has worked out wonderfully-they send pictures regularly. There was also someone else who inquired on the board for Boz, had less than 10, maybe less than 5, posts in total wanting Boz and saying they couldn't afford much because they were on disability. Could have been real, could have been a flipper. Fortunately, Boz was already in a loving home... I do like that the board is fully moderated, that helps (and watched over by members!)