• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rehome Highway

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Can we please make the rehome highway a MEMBER ONLY subforum? Where only members can view it? Like the Around thd Neighborhood one?

I feel the rehome highway attracts people that don't have the best interests of the birds at hearts. Theyre only interested in a free/cheap bird which is why those trolls only join us. Is to respond and hopefully get a freebie..

I feel like it puts birds and members at risk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I agree :)
Or perhaps a minimum post count to view the section/see it exists

Last edited:

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's not that hard to make an account, so I don't think that would help much.

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know if it's possible, but can a section be viewed only if a member has a certain number of posts, or .. has been a member for a certain amount of time? That might help. Minimum 50 posts, or 3 mos. on the forum .. something like that? That way, people don't join just to troll the section.

Although, what about the people that join here in order to help find their bird<s> a home? Hmm .. not sure about that.

Last edited:

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
I don't know if it's possible, but can a section be viewed only if a member has a certain number of posts, or .. has been a member for a certain amount of time? That might help. Minimum 50 posts, or 3 mos. on the forum .. something like that? That way, people don't join just to troll the section.

Although, what about the people that join here in order to help find their bird<s> a home? Hmm .. not sure about that.

Or need emergency help ...I get what you are saying though

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
No one can post on a thread unless they are a member, if we limit it to a specific number of posts you eliminate some people that come here to rehome their birds. We have had a few first time posters that have come here to post about rehoming their bird/s and members here have adopted them. Do we really want to put a stop to that?

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I understand the intent of the initial suggestion, however am not convinced it's an entirely good idea, especially for the people who are looking for a home for their parrot. Perhaps some kind of reminder at the VERY top of the thread in nice clear font could be added so that those who post, be mindful to exercise extreme vigilance when receiving messages from others to take in their parrots. Also a nice note to invite them to feel free to message anyone in the admin dept should they require any additional opinion to help make sound DECISION. If it's not someone in the admin dept, perhaps the names of long standing members who are here regularly, who are current about the on goings about this section and who feel passionate about this section could be the reference person or people that all can feel free to contact. For the record, I think Merlie would be a fantastic reference person if she were interested in this type of idea. :) She's knowledgeable, Caring, sharp when it comes to noticing oddball or unusual, a good person and is very passionate about all parrots in need. She'd be a great ambassador.

Just brainstorming here.:)

Last edited:

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I think Mercedez meant that people view the threads and then join in order to get a cheap/free bird. At least if it was members only people couldn't find the site just for the rehome section. If a member wanted to join to find a home for their bird(s) then they would probably still join, expecting to post it in a different section.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
We have discussed it upstairs and at this time will not be making any changes on who can view or post to the rehome threads

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Would Admin consider perhaps closing some of the ancient rehome threads that keep getting targeted by trolls? If they were closed, it might help a little.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Yes we will start closing threads in that section

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Ya know that a good 75% of the posts in the rehome Highway are put there BY Members from Craigslist-which is totally open to the public:shrug3:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
If Rehome Highway brings in people either to rehome their birds or to get new birds, then I say leave it as is. At least when these people come on our forum we have a chance to educate them and perhaps sway their minds about best practices in bird keeping. This is something they cannot get from Craigs List or other rehome sites. It gives us a chance to talk to these people, to maybe influence their outlook about pet birds. I am totally against limiting new members from going to our Rehome section. I am really glad the Admin has decided to leave things as they are.